Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions Thread (It's Here!)
Feb 23, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,129 of 1,320
  Got a pair of brand new, unopened DN-2000 that will sell for 10% off whatever Amazon is listing them at. PM me if interested

The DN-2000 is an amazing piece of sound gear! Why would you want to sell it? 
confused.gif

Feb 24, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #1,132 of 1,320
  I have Altone 200, with quite agressive treble, and now i like them very much. The trick, most of the times, is to find the right tips for them and for our preference.

DN-2000 is much smoother than Altone200 in the mids and highs, 2000 might even be lacking aggression for some if that hostility sits well. Then throw Fidue A83 in between which sits nicely at a half way mark. Between us, (and anyone reading) there's seemingly tolerance differences with Altone200 treble, I've heard three Altones since release and they were different, especially one (which one I own now).The first prototype (which was to be sold) was quite hot in the highs like members mention here. The one I have currently is remarkably smoother treble wise and I have no idea why this happened, I had both beside me at the same time and clearly heard a difference, so much so I purchased the calmer one for myself. So I really don't know what happened and who has what with that IEM anymore.

Feb 25, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #1,133 of 1,320

I collected my dn2000 reshell yesterday, but was too tired to post anything. 
It is abit difficult for me to comment on the similarity of the sound to the original, because the last time I heard the original was almost 3 months ago, so take my opinion with that in mind until I can get another dn2000 to compare it with. But at the very least, they sound like how I remembered them to be, but maybe with slightly less smoothness in the treble (1 or 2 tracks had some harshness but I'm not sure if it's just that particular track). I also feel that the treble is slightly more prominent - cymbals are clearer compared to previously. Perhaps the BA drivers are now closer to the bore than previously. 
I was expecting the worst, but this is a relief. I think the sound definitely went through some changes, but essentially it about the same. 
Oh, and I don't know if this applies to the dn2000 as well, but these ciems are sensitive. When I was using the VSD1, I couldn't hear the hiss on my shozy alien unless I am in a very very quiet environment. But this, I can pick up the hiss on parts of songs that are quiet, even if I'm out on the streets. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:22 AM Post #1,134 of 1,320

It is abit difficult for me to comment on the similarity of the sound to the original, because the last time I heard the original was almost 3 months ago, so take my opinion with that in mind until I can get another dn2000 to compare it with. But at the very least, they sound like how I remembered them to be, but maybe with slightly less smoothness in the treble (1 or 2 tracks had some harshness but I'm not sure if it's just that particular track). I also feel that the treble is slightly more prominent - cymbals are clearer compared to previously. Perhaps the BA drivers are now closer to the bore than previously. 
I was expecting the worst, but this is a relief. I think the sound definitely went through some changes, but essentially it about the same. 
Oh, and I don't know if this applies to the dn2000 as well, but these ciems are sensitive. When I was using the VSD1, I couldn't hear the hiss on my shozy alien unless I am in a very very quiet environment. But this, I can pick up the hiss on parts of songs that are quiet, even if I'm out on the streets. 

Awesome glad to hear some impressions. I am very tempted to do the same, how's the fit? I am currently using a Piccolino interconnect it really makes a difference if I could even get them re cabled with it I would. I suppose you could get a cable upgrade for them now so you have comfort, sound and adaptability. Do not see a down side other than others won't be able to enjoy the sound too.  

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #1,135 of 1,320
Oh by the way Ophiel if you are sceptical about cable changes I can let you try a Niobium cable I have, thats if the ciem takes the same JH style pins. I don't mind covering cost of shipping there as long as you can ship it back :).  

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #1,136 of 1,320
  Awesome glad to hear some impressions. I am very tempted to do the same, how's the fit? I am currently using a Piccolino interconnect it really makes a difference if I could even get them re cabled with it I would. I suppose you could get a cable upgrade for them now so you have comfort, sound and adaptability. Do not see a down side other than others won't be able to enjoy the sound too.  

You must be fully aware of the risk involved though, should you decide to go ahead. The sound will definitely change a little after reshelling. After more listening I'm noticing rough edges in the lower frequencies as well. To be honest, I'd rather have the original dn2000 if i'm purely looking at about sound quality. 

I think my pins are JH style, but there's no need to convince me. I already heard for myself what a good quality cable can do with my previous TF10 :) . The difference isn't much though, so I don't think I will change the cable until they are spoilt. 

Oh and the fit seems good to me. I can get a vacuum like seal on them, and in my room, I hear total silence.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #1,137 of 1,320

Wow! 
eek.gif

What a mod!

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #1,138 of 1,320
  You must be fully aware of the risk involved though, should you decide to go ahead. The sound will definitely change a little after reshelling. After more listening I'm noticing rough edges in the lower frequencies as well. To be honest, I'd rather have the original dn2000 if i'm purely looking at about sound quality. 

I think my pins are JH style, but there's no need to convince me. I already heard for myself what a good quality cable can do with my previous TF10 :) . The difference isn't much though, so I don't think I will change the cable until they are spoilt. 

Oh and the fit seems good to me. I can get a vacuum like seal on them, and in my room, I hear total silence.

Hum you raise some valid points. I think first and foremost I will wait for the 2000J to be released, I can live with the 2000s until then. Also I know there is no such thing as an end game product but fingers crossed the guys at Fischer Amps are working on something. Looks like my wallet will be feeling the blows to come.

Yeah I agree the change in sound isn't always HUGE however, in some cases I feel they can really be the secret sauce in the recipe. 

Glad they fit well. One thing that has always stopped me getting customs, other than the waiting time, is not being able to share the joys though. Still when I've sorted my portable source out I'll be looking for something that I can call just mine. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #1,139 of 1,320
Yup... no such thing as end game in this place called head-fi!

But your plan is good - the DN2000J will be worth the wait if it really is an improvement over the DN2000. I am hesitant to try it when it comes - I'm afraid i'll regret reshelling the DN2000 :frowning2:

Feb 26, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #1,140 of 1,320
Yeah my darn wallet has been anorexic ever since lol.

I know what you mean about the 2000J but I am just too curious. I am still a little disappointed they are sticking with the conventional wire, would be so much better to have to freedom of choice and obvious savings if the wire breaks outside of warranty.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back