DUNU 4 Driver, 5 Driver new Hybrid earphone presentation on 2015 the 22nd Beijing International Hi-Fi Exhibition
Oct 22, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #542 of 692
I read the MMCX connectors on the cable of the Dunu 2002 are proprietary somehow. Can i use any aftermarket cable easily instead of the stock one or will i face problems trying that?

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #543 of 692
I read the MMCX connectors on the cable of the Dunu 2002 are proprietary somehow. Can i use any aftermarket cable easily instead of the stock one or will i face problems trying that?

You see, the housing of the earpiece has a protrusion (convex) and the cable connection has an indent (concave). The two points connect to ensure the connection is properly fixed. I haven't used any other mmcx detachable cables before, but I'm sure if you shave off part of the plastic around the cable's connection (to make room for the protrusion on the earpiece), you may get another cable to fit. Whether it works and if it looks good will depend on your skill set (that means I'd likely fail miserably and end up ruining the cable).

UPDATE ON MY EXPERIENCES:
So, I've been using the 2002s exclusively. After trying different wearing styles and tips, I've come to what works best for me. I've ended on wearing the earphones downward with the stock, medium tips (not the spinfits). These seem to be the best tips for me. On the DN-1000 & DN-2000 I actually use small tips, but medium works best on DN-2002. So now I'm done fiddling and can just use them as intended. :wink:
Otherwise, the JVC Spiral Dot (EP-FX9M-B) tips feel good to me too.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #544 of 692
Thanks for your elaborated answer. My hands are very unskilled and my cable is super costly. This matter isn't pressing anymore since I bought other IEM, but I still want to try them at a later time. So my ears will be keen on any news regarding MMCX connector compatibility with aftermarket cables.

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #545 of 692
No problem. I actually got the DUNU GZ-OCC2701 cable with my pair as it was $51 as apposed to $108 if I got it with the earphones. Don't know if it makes a difference in sound, but the cable itself is nice. I just got it simply for having a spare though.

Regarding tips: Those Spiral Dots I mentioned in my previous post are now working best for me. I got them to try with my other DUNUs, but they didn't work well with them for me. Now they are finally getting some use.

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #549 of 692
As some people had comfort and fit problems with the DN-2002, it will now come with various soft silicone ear hooks by default.

Installation is fairly easy but imho one has to be careful not to lose the ear hooks or ear tips by accident as the tips and hooks aren't attached to any lip/collar. They stay in place well though and don't rotate unless you want to.

I've personally never had any fit/comfort problems wearing the DN-2002 with the cables down, but when wearing these IEMs with the cables around the ears, the cable connector put pressure on a part of my ear that felt uncomfortable after some time (a workaround for me was to turn the in-ears by ca. 90° which worked well as long as I didn't pull the cable which would then rotate them to the uncomfortable position again). With the ear hooks, the part that put pressure on my ears when wearing the cable around the ears is now a bit more distant and doesn't touch my ears anymore and I don't need to rotate the ear pieces by 90° to get a good over-the-ear fit/comfort. 

Image 1 & 2 provided by DUNU Topsound, image 3, 4 & 5 taken by yours truly.

width of the rings: ca. 1.5 cm
length of the hooks alone: ca. 2 cm

cable down

cable around the ears

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #550 of 692
Aw, just love DUNU's endless commitment. How do those that purchased these already get hold of the newly bundled items?

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #551 of 692
Thanks Chris

I tried them and they are good for providing a little extra protection.  Still not the most comfortable to wear - which is a real pity.  I'd love these in an ergonomic shell, because they really are an excellent sounding pair of IEMs.

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #552 of 692

As some people had comfort and fit problems with the DN-2002, it will now come with various soft silicone ear hooks by default.

Installation is fairly easy but imho one has to be careful not to lose the ear hooks or ear tips by accident as the tips and hooks aren't attached to any lip/collar. They stay in place well though and don't rotate unless you want to.

I've personally never had any fit/comfort problems wearing the DN-2002 with the cables down, but when wearing these IEMs with the cables around the ears, the cable connector put pressure on a part of my ear that felt uncomfortable after some time (a workaround for me was to turn the in-ears by ca. 90° which worked well as long as I didn't pull the cable which would then rotate them to the uncomfortable position again). With the ear hooks, the part that put pressure on my ears when wearing the cable around the ears is now a bit more distant and doesn't touch my ears anymore and I don't need to rotate the ear pieces by 90° to get a good over-the-ear fit/comfort. 

Image 1 & 2 provided by DUNU Topsound, image 3, 4 & 5 taken by yours truly.

width of the rings: ca. 1.5 cm
length of the hooks alone: ca. 2 cm

cable down

cable around the ears

Aw, just love DUNU's endless commitment. How do those that purchased these already get hold of the newly bundled items?

I too would like to know if the additional ear hooks are going to be provided to all existing owners. Even though the extra large dual-flanged eartips DUNU provided me, completely solved my seal problem, the addition of more universal hooks for stability, would make the 2002 perfect. I totally agree that DUNU has total commitment to their customers and their R&D department is definitely laudable. 

Nov 12, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #553 of 692
Does anybody here have any alternatives for foam tips either than comply? These comply tips run out too fast. Tried with the shure olive tips but the nozel is too large to fit the olive tips.

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #554 of 692
  Does anybody here have any alternatives for foam tips either than comply? These comply tips run out too fast. Tried with the shure olive tips but the nozel is too large to fit the olive tips.

DUNU has a few dual flanged silicone tips in various sizes and two different textures (white > softer and black > more firm) that fit the 2002. The question is, how do you get them, other than reaching out to DUNU and requesting them? As I posted previously, the large black dual flanged solved my seal problem and helped me kick my Comply habit but I don't know, when or if, any of these are going to be included with the normal 2002 accessories. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #555 of 692
I personally do not like foam tips.  I've often tried dual-flanged, but they just never sit right with me.  But the JVC Spiral Dot (EP-FX9M-B) tips are what I'm using and they work for me.  But I'm still keen on earhooks or anything else DUNU has.  But all-in-all, I've come to love my 2002s.

One thing I'd like to find out is if you wear the cable over the ear, does it not cause the cable to deteriorate (faster) in the section that goes behind your ear?  Because of any excess oils or whatever else it's exposed to.  Just wondering as I quite like them over the ears when I use the left earpiece on the right cable and the right earpiece on the left cable.  Though wearing them downward works well enough for me anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back