Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition!
Feb 15, 2008 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Enverxis

Headphoneus Supremus
I used to DM a D&D group with my high school friends, hadn't played since 2003, then somewhere I heard news about D&D 4th Edition. I thought to myself, man those were the days, and headed over to Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Official Home Page to see what 4th Edition was all about.

After about 12 hours (yes, 12 hours!) of reading about the changes, listening to podcasts and reading forums dedicated to the new edition. I broke the news to my friends and instead of their usual Australia Day celebration, we played D&D instead as a remembrance of the good old days
biggrin.gif

I managed to create a campaign ripping a lot of stuff out of the prologue to the recent PC Game "The Witcher" in about 3 hours and we were away, having a blast like all those years ago.

I'm very keen to keep my interest alive and I think fourth edition will do that for me, as well as make the game a better experience because a lot of the changes they are making were very reflective of the groans and sighs from myself and my players.

The aim of 4th Edition is to make the game more fun, faster, more dynamic and more balanced.

Here's a good page of information to get the people interested started on reading what 4th Edition is all about.

I recently read a thread from 2007 on here about Head-Fi Members wanting to do an online D&D pen and paper game. Wizards have created a program where you can do that. A very good idea because the people that would love to play D&D with their high school friends over long distance can do so with this new program. I think a combination of such a program, a chat program and Ventrillo would make it close to the pen & paper in the lounge feeling as possible
smily_headphones1.gif

The official release is 6th of June 2008 where the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monster Manual will go live.
products_dndacc_217367200_lgpic.jpg
products_dndacc_217507200_lgpic.jpg
products_dndacc_217207200_lgpic.jpg

Feb 16, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 19
I hate WoTC. I have around $2k in 3rd [or 3.5] edition books.
frown.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate WoTC. I have around $2k in 3rd [or 3.5] edition books.
frown.gif

Hahah - feeling the wrath of the marketing machine's ploy to get you to pull out the wallet every few years, eh? Here I was, opposed to investing beyond the AD&D 2.5 edition and when I finally (coinciding with the Dungeon-Fidelity - Index inauguration) plunk down for the MM/DMG/PHB we get a fourth edition.
tongue.gif

Needless to say, I feel for you Jay. That's a lot of coin to see fall into perceived obsolescence.

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 19
Nice. I got into D&D over Magic: The Gathering when I was in elementary school. I guess I kinda fell out of playing it when I moved to India and most of my friends thought it was stupid. This makes a great excuse for me to get back into it, especially since a co-worker is a big fan too!

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 19
I'll admit that I haven't been following the changes, but I do love a good paper and dice game night.

I've been running a Changeling:The Dreaming campaign for some friends of mine over the net through skype (which works...okay...much rather see them in person). Before this campaign we played a 3.5 D&D campaign (lvl 12 human ranger).

One of the guys who plays in our group has been following it and he gives me snippets from time to time of the changes. It certainly sounds interesting. I just hope that it doesn't become an elaborate board game. That's my only worry.

nylan

Feb 16, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 19
Hmm... Is this like that weird roleplaying board thing where you get your little plastic characters and paint them? Some people at my school play Warhammer 40k like that I think....

Seems weird.

Feb 17, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm... Is this like that weird roleplaying board thing where you get your little plastic characters and paint them? Some people at my school play Warhammer 40k like that I think....

Seems weird.

It's really not that weird. It's no different than playing Starcraft/Warcraft (which are based on Warhammer). The only difference is that people paint the miniatures themselves (which can be amazingly detailed and quite artistic) and use die and a ruler to move and attack other units on the map.

It's kind of like the difference between vinyl and CD's.

And no...Dungeons and Dragons isn't really like Warhammer/Warhammer 40K. Warhammer is a tabletop war-game played with miniatures, where the focus is on troops/units moving and attacking in a battle.

D&D is a tabletop Role-Playing Game that CAN be played with miniatures, but more often than not isn't. In D&D, you take on the personification of a self-made or pre-made character with statistics and abilities and play through a story. It's really not all that different than live theatre/improv. Except that you're performing for your friends and there are stricter rules regarding how you act.

Hope that helps explain a little.

Nylan

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and cast magic missile into the darkness!

I LOLed when I saw that...and immediately went to listen to that clip on my computer

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by nylan8301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's really not that weird.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, come on man, it's a little weird. But I wouldn't have it any other way!
tongue.gif

Feb 17, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #13 of 19
My gaming partners are trying to decide what to do. We all pretty well started with 2nd Ed. then we moved to Star Wars D6 from WEG and played that for ten years. We wanted to try our luck again with D&D and so we bought into 3.5 on the suggestion of a few gamers. So far we like it and each of us have spent at least $200 on books (we all get a steep discount so that is about 7-8 books each) with 2 guys owning 30 books each.

With the Saga edition of Star Wars, we started to investigate D20 (since the original WotC d20 blew) and so far folks are loving it, but others hate it. We suspect this will be the same for 4th ed and frankly, it does seem they are dumbing it down in a lot of ways making it more like WoW than good old D&D. Anyhow, one guy in our group is into buying and trying so we will give it a whirl once. But I know I'm not dropping the cash, I'll let the other ones fork it over.

Feb 17, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=x-large]Good Stuff![/size]

[size=x-large]OK![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back