Dumb newbie question
Nov 7, 2012 at 2:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bamaguy727

New Head-Fier
I have decided to buy the Beyerdynamic 990 pro  250 ohms headphones -- I will be using them for gaming FPS and general use for music , my question is I have a Onkyo ht-r560 surround receiver that I have my playstation 3 set going thru --would the headphone jack from the Onkyo power the 990's ?  Will it give me Dolby since the receiver has several settings including Dolby ---- everything Ive read about the 990s say i would need a amp and for gaming a mixamp/ Dss to have Dolby ?    Thanks to anyone who can help me

Nov 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
I have decided to buy the Beyerdynamic 990 pro  250 ohms headphones -- I will be using them for gaming FPS and general use for music , my question is I have a Onkyo ht-r560 surround receiver that I have my playstation 3 set going thru --would the headphone jack from the Onkyo power the 990's ?  Will it give me Dolby since the receiver has several settings including Dolby ---- everything Ive read about the 990s say i would need a amp and for gaming a mixamp/ Dss to have Dolby ?    Thanks to anyone who can help me

The Onkyo HT-R560 should easily drive the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm.
HDMI would provide the best audio quality.
PS3>HDMI>Onkyo>HDMI>TV
Optical (PS3 to Onkyo) would be second choice.
The Onkyo comes with the latest Dolby audio processor, the Dolby Pro Logic IIz.
I'm not sure the Onkyo supports Dolby Headphone surround sound, but there are others on Head-Fi who believe it will.
Plug everything in and find out.

Otherwise you can get an Astro Mix-amp.
Or sell off  the Onkyo and buy a Yamaha, which almost always comes with Silent Cinema, Yamaha's own headphone surround sound tech.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #5 of 9
I would have to ask: why is the receiver there?
The receiver and MixAmp are both built to do the same, general function: process surround sound and power the signal.

MixAmp is built to take surround sound via digital connection, and mix it into VIRTUAL surround sound for headphones. 
Receivers might do the same, but it depends on the individual model. And you'd have to check that the receiver's headphone jack is built for that (as opposed to the headphone jack being 2.0 sound only)

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
Could I run say :   Headphones--> Astro Mixamp ---> receiver ---> Playstation Console ?

You could connect the Astro Mix-Amp's to the Onkyo 2-channel analog RCA output, but there is no point in that.

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 9
The receiver does not support dolby headphone out the headphone jack , hence the need for the Astro dolby mixamp , just not sure the mixamp would be enough to power the 250 ohm headphones - Would I  just be better off skipping the receiver and going  headphone-->mixamp-->game console ?

Nov 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #8 of 9
Actually, you might be able to connect it like this (arrows indicate direction of signal):
PS3 > MixAmp > Receiver > Headphones

The MixAmp will process the sound for you, and out put this in virtual surround for headphones. That's a stereo signal that will sound like surround sound. Connect the MixAmp to your receiver's analogue input--thus the signal isn't processed by your receiver, just amplified by it. That ought to be more than enough power for the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back