Duffy - Rockferry
May 29, 2008 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

juniperlater

1000+ Head-Fier
I should start out by saying that I didn't want to like this album. I heard "Mercy" before I heard the rest and dismissed it. My friend MADE me listen to it and I was hooked.

It harkens back to 1960s "plastic soul" a la Dusty Springfield. Even "Mercy", in the context of the rest of the record, is astonishingly good.

Anyone else have this experience?

May 30, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

It harkens back to 1960s "plastic soul" a la Dusty Springfield.

Would you consider it an authentic sound or more of an imitation?

May 30, 2008 at 3:28 PM Post #3 of 23
What's up with all these female singers trying to sound like Amy Winehouse? I personally don't mind it and think of it as more of a good thing but it just loses originality.

May 30, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by analogbox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's up with all these female singers trying to sound like Amy Winehouse?

I think you mean why do they both sound like Dusty.
wink.gif

May 30, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 23
I would not consider this a Dusty Springfield imitation, nor an Amy Winehouse - although I understand the jump when one has only heard "Mercy." I think this album is much better than anything Amy Winehouse has ever thought about doing.

May 30, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #6 of 23
I haven't heard of Dusty Springfield but I saw a trend after Amy Winehouse got big. Before that I didn't see alot of female singers with that kind of singing style. Maybe I've missed them, Idk.

May 30, 2008 at 4:40 PM Post #8 of 23
I wasn't interested in Duffy or her CD until I read that the album features and was produced by Bernard Butler. Now I am curious. My sister owns the album so I think I will borrow it to give it a spin.

In general, I have been skeptical about these singers, I mean Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Joss Stone etc etc. Although to be honest, I haven't heard alot of their music, so it is a very uninformed bias.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 30, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 23
Singer Duffy made a in-store appearance in NY a couple of weeks ago. She sang four songs and did a signing of her debut CD.
IMG_0612.jpg

IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

May 30, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't interested in Duffy or her CD until I read that the album features and was produced by Bernard Butler. Now I am curious. My sister owns the album so I think I will borrow it to give it a spin.

In general, I have been skeptical about these singers, I mean Amy Winehouse, Duffy, Joss Stone etc etc. Although to be honest, I haven't heard alot of their music, so it is a very uninformed bias.
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't like any of the other singers you mentioned. Maybe you should give Duffy a shot.

May 30, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 23
Her music is much better made than Amy Winehouse. She doesn't have Amy Winehouse's "personality", so her music may not hit people as hard, but I think it's gonna be better lasting. I wouldn't even begin to compare her to Joss Stone, who I think is no good at all. Overall, I'm not blown away by her, but that may be my tastes more than anything, I think she's very good for the style of music she makes.

May 30, 2008 at 5:27 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

The first two Joss Stones albums are brilliant but I can't say the same for the later albums. I'll probably pick up Duffy's new album too. Her live performance wasn't too bad and the melody of "Warwick Avenue" got stuck in my head for the last two days.

May 30, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

the melody of "Warwick Avenue" got stuck in my head for the last two days.

What a good song! I agree. It is catchy without being poppy.

May 30, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

What's up with all these female singers trying to sound like Amy Winehouse? I personally don't mind it and think of it as more of a good thing but it just loses originality.

Would you prefer they try to sound like Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera?

May 30, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you prefer they try to sound like Britney Spears or Christina Aguilera?

Personally I don't mind Christina Aguileras voice. It's the music that I don't like about her. And I don't wanna go anywhere near Britney Spears. She needs some help. I won't say more.

A while ago, I heard of a band called She & Him. And one of the vocals in there was clearly trying to imitate Amy Winehouse or maybe she was trying imitate Dusty Springfield Idk but it greatly annoyed me. If they sound natural, I really don't mind it. I actually like to hear more of the same but when one doesn't sound natural at all, it's ultra annoying to hear.

But, maybe it's just me.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back