Dubstep
May 17, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #16 of 82
I like Noisia a lot as well as Feed Me. Unfortunately I don't like listening to dubstep on headphones. Only time I listen to it is when I'm driving my dad's SUV  because it has decent bass.

I also like listening to dubstep remixes of my favorite non-dubstep songs.

May 17, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #17 of 82

You should head over the Electronic general thread. You'd like a lot of the stuff there. I pretty much consider Noisia's Split the Atom EP to be blessed by a higher power.

Also, Mackie SRM 450s. All I'm gonna say. I've knocked frames off my walls with my pair.
Quote:
I like Noisia a lot as well as Feed Me. Unfortunately I don't like listening to dubstep on headphones. Only time I listen to it is when I'm driving my dad's SUV  because it has decent bass.

I also like listening to dubstep remixes of my favorite non-dubstep songs.

May 17, 2011 at 9:17 PM Post #18 of 82

Quote:
You should head over the Electronic general thread. You'd like a lot of the stuff there. I pretty much consider Noisia's Split the Atom EP to be blessed by a higher power.

Also, Mackie SRM 450s. All I'm gonna say. I've knocked frames off my walls with my pair.

Yes! Split the Atom EP is amazing! I still need to hear it on speakers though.
frown.gif

I think there's a decent sound system at home with a large sub but I don't think my parents would be happy if I knocked stuff off walls.
biggrin.gif

Being in a college apartment there's no use for speakers that loud anyways. People just get mad at you for playing music too loud.

May 17, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #19 of 82
Noisia's Machine Gun EP is awesome. The 16bit remix is nasty. I also like DatsiK & Excision's mix of Alpha Centauri. I don't really like most of Noisia's stuff though.

May 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #20 of 82

The 16bit remix is AMAZING. I like it quite a bit more than the original, actually. He did an astounding job with that one. To tell you the truth, I think Machine Gun is one of the weaker songs on Split the Atom...I enjoyed almost all the rest of the album more than Machine Gun.

Quote:
Noisia's Machine Gun EP is awesome. The 16bit remix is nasty. I also like DatsiK & Excision's mix of Alpha Centauri. I don't really like most of Noisia's stuff though.

And that's why I no longer OWN that pair of Mackie SRM 450s. lol
Quote:
Yes! Split the Atom EP is amazing! I still need to hear it on speakers though.
frown.gif

I think there's a decent sound system at home with a large sub but I don't think my parents would be happy if I knocked stuff off walls.
biggrin.gif

Being in a college apartment there's no use for speakers that loud anyways. People just get mad at you for playing music too loud.

May 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #21 of 82

Quote:
The 16bit remix is AMAZING. I like it quite a bit more than the original, actually. He did an astounding job with that one. To tell you the truth, I think Machine Gun is one of the weaker songs on Split the Atom...I enjoyed almost all the rest of the album more than Machine Gun.

And that's why I no longer OWN that pair of Mackie SRM 450s. lol

Jeez, Mackie's are crazy expensive! I've been really tempted to get a pair of Rokits or something but it's really not worth it. Too bad my car has such a terrible sound system as well. On the highway at max volume it's barely loud enough over the road noise and it distorts like crazy.

Also, just found Feed Me's Feed Me's Big Adventure on Youtube in 2 parts, 14 minutes each.

I'm in heaven! Don't have to switch between tracks! Now if I could just find some crazy speakers, that would be better.

May 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #22 of 82
450s run around $500 a speaker now, but they're well worth it. They're so brutal.

You're talking like...desktop monitors. I love KRKs for that, but loudspeakers were just MADE for Electronic music. Those 450s kicked so freakin' hard I think it did internal damage sometimes. lol

Plus...you could always go old school with it and buy a pair of Mackies and stick 'em in teh back of your car.
wink.gif

Quote:
Jeez, Mackie's are crazy expensive! I've been really tempted to get a pair of Rokits or something but it's really not worth it. Too bad my car has such a terrible sound system as well. On the highway at max volume it's barely loud enough over the road noise and it distorts like crazy.

Also, just found Feed Me's Feed Me's Big Adventure on Youtube in 2 parts, 14 minutes each.

I'm in heaven! Don't have to switch between tracks! Now if I could just find some crazy speakers, that would be better.

May 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #25 of 82

Quote:
450s run around $500 a speaker now, but they're well worth it. They're so brutal.

You're talking like...desktop monitors. I love KRKs for that, but loudspeakers were just MADE for Electronic music. Those 450s kicked so freakin' hard I think it did internal damage sometimes. lol

Plus...you could always go old school with it and buy a pair of Mackies and stick 'em in teh back of your car.
wink.gif

Mackies = $1k

KRK = $300

biggrin.gif

I'm going to buy a Panasonic stereo system off craigslist for $15 today. As long as it has more bass than my headphones (HOPEFULLY) I'll be happy!

May 18, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #26 of 82
What KRKs are you picking up for $300? The only ones I can think of that cheap are Rokit 5s...F that noise.

Buy some 8s...And a 10 Sub. Bangin'. lol

Eh. I've always been all about bigger and better. I go 'Well these are this much...but these only cost this much more...' Save save save. lol

The reason I suggest loudspeakers for EDM is the fact that with EDM you HAVE to get a sub...Those 450s don't need a sub. :wink:

Quote:
Mackies = $1k

KRK = $300

biggrin.gif

I'm going to buy a Panasonic stereo system off craigslist for $15 today. As long as it has more bass than my headphones (HOPEFULLY) I'll be happy!

May 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #27 of 82

Quote:
What KRKs are you picking up for $300? The only ones I can think of that cheap are Rokit 5s...F that noise.

Buy some 8s...And a 10 Sub. Bangin'. lol

Eh. I've always been all about bigger and better. I go 'Well these are this much...but these only cost this much more...' Save save save. lol

The reason I suggest loudspeakers for EDM is the fact that with EDM you HAVE to get a sub...Those 450s don't need a sub. :wink:

Oh, I'm not getting KRK's either but if I did I'd probably cheap out and get the Rokit 5's... lol

I'm getting a $15 Pioneer system. Considering how little I'll be able to use it I don't really care how it'll sound, plus I can probably flip it for more money over the summer.

May 18, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #28 of 82
I´ve tried the KRK rokit line at a local store, I didn´t like the bass at all. There was plenty of it (maybe even too much) but it lacked tonality, single-note. I decided to buy a pair of discounted Adam A5´s instead. I have not yet regretted that choice.

May 18, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #29 of 82
KRK 8s were my favorite monitor that I demoed if you didn't have a sub. A lot of people have no room for a sub...

I do think that you could get better sound out of a monitor that lacks bass and then tossing a good sub in the mix, though.

Quote:
I´ve tried the KRK rokit line at a local store, I didn´t like the bass at all. There was plenty of it (maybe even too much) but it lacked tonality, single-note. I decided to buy a pair of discounted Adam A5´s instead. I have not yet regretted that choice.

May 18, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #30 of 82
Quote:
Well There are 4 different Sub-Genres of Dubstep which i've noted, there's wobble bass, filthy dubstep, rythmic dubstep and Garage... which is kind of like the roots of dubstep... These aren't real Sub-Genres... i think garage is but still...
Some early dubstep artists like Caspa & Rusko you might want to check out, also Doctor P, Flux Pavilion, NERO, Skream, Cookie Monsta, Benga, Bar 9 and... yeah, those are some of my personal favourites.

I think there's 3 distinct "types" of dubstep that I notice: rhythmic (stuff like Burial that doesn't go wubwubwub), regular wobbly (Skream, Caspa & Rusko et al), and one I call "power filth" (Skrillex-style). Most of the new dubstep I hear coming out today is somewhere between regular wobbly and power filth, but moving closer to full-on power filth with "screechy" drops like the one in Flux Pavilion's "Bass Cannon".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back