Dual reshelling!
Sep 9, 2011 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Leynar

Member of the Trade: Stage93
I was wondering, since black friday is around the corner, is it feasible to buy another TF10 and reshell my current one and it together to form one single custom? Has anyone done this and if so, what are the effects on SQ and will it cost more to do than lets say +1 single driver at companies like UM?

Sep 9, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 31

Quote:
I was wondering, since black friday is around the corner, is it feasible to buy another TF10 and reshell my current one and it together to form one single custom? Has anyone done this and if so, what are the effects on SQ and will it cost more to do than lets say +1 single driver at companies like UM?

I don't understand why you would want to do this?

Are you thinking that with 2x's the drivers it'll sound better?

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 31

Quote:
I don't understand why you would want to do this?

Are you thinking that with 2x's the drivers it'll sound better?

you don't get the point. I've got little funding, so if im gonna reshell it, why would i want to pay the 250 for 1 when i can essentially get 3 at 99 dollars? I'm not those who think more drivers means better. I like the triple driver ACS demo i auditioned better than the 6 driver JH13 demo

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #4 of 31

Quote:
you don't get the point. I've got little funding, so if im gonna reshell it, why would i want to pay the 250 for 1 when i can essentially get 3 at 99 dollars?

Yup, I don't get it.

Sorry.

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #5 of 31

I dont understand as well. Does it means you want to compare between these 2 options?
1. send two tf10 and ask them to combine two tripple drivers tf10 into single 6 drivers iem
2. send one tf10 and ask um to add another driver into 4 drivers iem.

If this is your question, then you should go to option 2 because option 1 cannot be done. From my understand, each driver are not the same and you cannot just simple combine them. They have their own specific job for example, driver of mid, driver for high or driver for low.
Quote:
you don't get the point. I've got little funding, so if im gonna reshell it, why would i want to pay the 250 for 1 when i can essentially get 3 at 99 dollars? I'm not those who think more drivers means better. I like the triple driver ACS demo i auditioned better than the 6 driver JH13 demo

Sep 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #6 of 31

Quote:
Yup, I don't get it.

Sorry.

I want to supplement the mids of the TF10 since i can by adding a single Mid driver while reshelling it to cure the little fit irritation i have with it. Since one driver at these companies like UM etc have high cost, why not purchase another TF10 and combine it, skipping the mark up costs of these companies? I'm a student so i don't have unlimited budget and spending capabilities like the working adults that you ( i presume) fall under

Sep 9, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #7 of 31
So I think you are contemplating the possibility of utilising only one of the drivers from your second set of TF10's to add to your original set to save the cost of paying UM to add a driver.

I guess there are a couple of considerations to this question.

Will UM retro fit a second hand driver instead of one they supplied (and can hence guarantee)?

Can an identical driver to one already in the headphone shell be driven by the electronics to handle different frequencies than it's twin already in the shell?

UM will answer the first question and I don't have the technical know how to answer the second part I'm afraid.

I always assumed that each driver in a multiple driver IEM was unique and that there would be no identical drivers.

Sep 9, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 31
Okay, just to clear things up regarding our TF10 re-shell and upgrades.

We can add a driver to the TF10, we add a mid driver which the TF10 does not have.

We are unable to combine two TF10's into the one IEM.  If you did you would end up with 4 bass drivers and two high drivers....a very odd combination for a six driver IEM.

Your best bet is to re-shell the single TF10 and add a mid driver, leaving you with a dual bass, single mid, single high configuration.  We call it the TF10x4.

And we also don't mark up the drivers that we add very much at all when you consider the development and production of the crossovers and the new wiring necessitated.

Sep 9, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #9 of 31

Quote:
Okay, just to clear things up regarding our TF10 re-shell and upgrades.

We can add a driver to the TF10, we add a mid driver which the TF10 does not have.

We are unable to combine two TF10's into the one IEM.  If you did you would end up with 4 bass drivers and two high drivers....a very odd combination for a six driver IEM.

Your best bet is to re-shell the single TF10 and add a mid driver, leaving you with a dual bass, single mid, single high configuration.  We call it the TF10x4.

And we also don't mark up the drivers that we add very much at all when you consider the development and production of the crossovers and the new wiring necessitated.

Well, I've found a place that can do so. I suppose it the configuration isnt gonna be that weird since the TF10's dual low drivers help produce the mids too. And by "mark up" i was referring to the additional components and cost that will be added on to the cost of the original driver. even then the business term "mark up" still applies as UM's still a business and you guys gotta earn something right? Sorry I've used your name in general, since its the most well known among here
biggrin.gif

Quote:
So I think you are contemplating the possibility of utilising only one of the drivers from your second set of TF10's to add to your original set to save the cost of paying UM to add a driver.

I guess there are a couple of considerations to this question.

Will UM retro fit a second hand driver instead of one they supplied (and can hence guarantee)?

Can an identical driver to one already in the headphone shell be driven by the electronics to handle different frequencies than it's twin already in the shell?

UM will answer the first question and I don't have the technical know how to answer the second part I'm afraid.

I always assumed that each driver in a multiple driver IEM was unique and that there would be no identical drivers.

If I'm using the drivers inside the TF10s, i've gotta use all i suppose. If i use only one, i'll be left with 2 drivers just with no function besides sitting in the stock shell, unless i reshell it, which is gonna cost a bomb for me and defeat the original purpose. The person who told me it's possible said the end result would just be an amplified TF10 which sounds the same, that's why I'm here with my questions to see if anyone can help me with that!

Sep 10, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #10 of 31
The person who told me it's possible said the end result would just be an amplified TF10 which sounds the same, that's why I'm here with my questions to see if anyone can help me with that!

Uh, well OK. If you have found someone who says they can do it I guess go ahead and get it done.

But I really don't see (still!) what you are trying to achieve.

An amplified TF10... Just turn up the volume knob.

Anyhoot, not sure I'm adding much anymore so I'll leave this thread be.

Good luck.

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #13 of 31
I don't understand how this will save you money? A simple reshell from UM is about $170 and a reshell + 1 driver is about $280, so the extra drive costs you about $110. That's only $10 more than the $99 TF10 you're hoping Amazon will offer for Black Friday. IMHO, the $10 difference is worth it because the TF10x4 is something that UM knows will work and you can find impressions/reviews about. Whereas if you get the second TF10 with the deal and try to mash them together, you'll get something that may or may not work. Not to mention the fact that you get 1 years warranty for the driver UM adds. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 31
I'm with Carlosfandango on this one I'm afraid.

Why add more of the same drivers to an IEM. This will not change the sound of the IEM at all... And it's pretty well documented that the TF10's are a V shaped sound signature, so the most common addition is a mid driver to try and level out the V signature into a more flat signature. EG: The UM TF10x4.

But if you just double the drivers in the IEM all it will be is a overly complicated Custom that sounds that same (possibly louder) with the same V shaped sound signature as the TF10, so why bother with the second set of drivers?

I'm not trying to be condescending, just trying to understand what your goal is. If you can fill us all in as to what you are trying to achieve I'm sure we'll all be happy to help you :D.

Possible combined the TF10's you have with a different IEM with Mid Drivers? Although my recommendation would be the TF10x4, while I don't have this custom myself, there are quite a few happy customers on Head-Fi who got this custom and are very happy with it. And I also believe UM have put a fair bit of time into their TF10x4 and TF10x6 crossovers and driver selection to get the Sound Signature that they are after (UM Aus/UM US can possibly confirm?)

As UM Aus has mentioned the combination of 4 Bass drivers and 2 Treble drivers is very odd, and will only emphasize the lack of mid rather than the bass drivers help to produce the mids.

What will help to produce the mids? A mid driver...

So why spend the extra on buy another set of TF10's for essentially no benefit, when you can save that money and buy a mid driver from UM and get the TF10x4's? Or if you really want the 6 driver experience the TF10x6's (2 Lows, 2 Mids, 2 Highs, and a 3 way crossover).

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 31
I think he wants to buy two TF10's on the black friday $99 deal and then reshell them into a 6 driver per side custom IEM.

Without mentioning the exact model numbers of the drivers used in the TF10, no one is going to get anywhere with this discussion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back