Dual-output AlienDAC
Jul 6, 2007 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

peasleer

New Head-Fier
I am going to build an AlienDAC in the near future, and had a couple questions. I'm going to buy enough parts for two - one vanilla that I will get working, and one that I want to play with. On the latter DAC, I was wondering how hard it would be to add a second mini output? One would be for speakers, and the other would output to an amp to HD-590's.

I'm new to DIY, so I'm looking for a solution that wouldn't be particularly difficult to implement. In my naivety, I'm thinking I could just wire a SPDT where the original schematic would have the mini-out, and from the switch wire two mini-outs.

Would something like this work? Any assistance, links to others that have already done this, or detailed instructions would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The switched output looks fine to me, but you'd need another switch, 3P2T.

Why would I need a 3P2T?

Quote:

Originally Posted by pddjsteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done this - I used a DPDT switch on mine, I left the grounds connected.

You mean you left the grounds connected to the mini jacks and just switched the signal lines?

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by peasleer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would I need a 3P2T?

You mean you left the grounds connected to the mini jacks and just switched the signal lines?

The 3P2T would be if you switched the ground wire as well.

Yes, I left the grounds connected all the time and just switched the L and R wires. I don't know if there are any potential problems with this and active ground amps, or whatever... I just have it coming out from my PC for headphone amps or my (powered) speakers.

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 6
Great, thanks for the reply. I think I'll be mimicking your setup
biggrin.gif

Can anyone answer the question pddjsteve posed with not switching ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back