DT990 with APS (APureSound) V3 Cable
May 23, 2008 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Wilashort

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi
I am finding in the entire forum, a thread, with the DT990; recabled with APureSound cable (Can be the V2 of this cable, but PREFERABLY the V3), but i don't found anything on this matter.
I am very interested in this cable, but i want to listen impressions from people that have recabled his DT990 with this cable.
I love my DT990 much, and i want the best for it (i discarted the idea of buy an amp for now), and i think that it is the best cable for this headphone...
I love this headphone a lot, that i have created this thread for that (it is the first...), because the great majority of times, i find the answers for my interests in other threads....
This headphone can do almost everything.... It have a strong and very Deep Bass, excellent (and lifelike) and extended highs, and excellent mids (in my setup).
It has a very good image and soundstage/headstage and is airier and spacious....
But... the mids are a little bit "steamed" by the highs, and the separation isn't the best too (in very fast music and with too much treble).
...Well, i want to listen to some impressions, if you want/care to do, thanks.

May 27, 2008 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 10
Hi, I have a different headphone with an APS V3 cable, not a DT990. I also have two sets of W5000 and two sets of K701, one of them recabled and the other stock.

Instead of a headphone recable, I would recommend upgrading to a better source first. An amp upgrade would also be a good idea, if budget permits.

A headphone recable does change the sound, usually for the better, but it is not a large difference. Unless your source and amp are already very high quality, it is usually a better value to allocate your budget to those two components instead of a recable.

Another other good reason I can think of to recable your headphones might be for use with a balanced amp.

If you really want to have your DT990 recabled, several of the vendors I've had experience with are all good options: APureSound, Moon Audio, Headphile or Enigma Audio.

May 27, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 10
i am thinking about getting my dt990 2005 250ohm version recabled. i experienced a little bit of harshness in highs and some recessed mids. however, that was when i had a cheap dac and portables amps.
i upgraded to a decent dac (keces da151) and to esktop amps (gilmore lite, and little dot mk4se), i found the harshness in highs calming down a little(especially with littledot tube amp) and the mids improving a bit also.
although i love my dt990(i like it more than hd580 and hd650), it is not perfect, and that is why i am considering a recabling job.

May 27, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #6 of 10
there is definately NO harsh in the 600ohm dt990
smily_headphones1.gif
......which have stock cable. I'm with Elphas on the recabling issue.

Jun 1, 2008 at 7:28 AM Post #7 of 10
Hi, thank you for your response.
I like the DT990 as is, but it has a bit of harshness..., as tjumper78 say.
According to APureSound (Heli), the improvements that i will get are the next...:

<We have recabled several DT990's before. You get better overall detail.
The bass is deeper and more controlled, the highs extend higher without
becoming harsh or shrill, and the mids are more liquid and smooth
sounding. The sound stage is increased and you get to a whole new level
of instrument separation with the V3 headphone cable>

These are the improvements that i want: a little bit more bass slam, better separation in general, more mids [i refer that i want a little bit more detail and less recession (compared with my recent HFI-780, it has less detail and energy (is something laidback))], not harshness (or very little) with some material; and less or not sibilance. Ah and more volume, but for that, i need a more powerful amp or to use the amp in the XMPLAYER (not a issue if the recable works); i known. The bass extension and treble (but without harshness) is an extra; More soundstage/headstage is a plus too very welcomed and necessary.

Too, the impressions from Hardflip in the APS V3 cable Main thread, are similar to the improvements that them claimed..., but i don't known, it is a very expensive expense... but i want the best for my headphones with the equipment that i have.
i don't known what to do then (well i known, but not 100% secure), if recable or buy another solid state amp (Little Dot MKV, maybe...?)
A headamp pico, may be a excellent option for this headphones? [because it have excellent mids, that may help the Midrange, but i don't known.... the treble (can be exacerbated the sibilance and harshness with this amp... not sure) and that about the bass? (it can don't delivered the punch that my Arietta deliver)].
Another reason for which, i want to recable this headphones is to shorter the cable, because i use exclusively my laptop for/to listen to music, and i find all that extra cable a nuisance.
In other hand, i want to use the funtions in my XMOD (the cristalizer is wonderful with low bitrate MP3s (less of 224 kbps), which i listen always.., and the Variable CMSS-3D too, which expand the soundstage and open up the mids)...
For you, which is the best cable what give the best performace overall? (according what i have readed, the V3 Cable is the most advanced...)
Thank you
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I have a different headphone with an APS V3 cable, not a DT990. I also have two sets of W5000 and two sets of K701, one of them recabled and the other stock.

Instead of a headphone recable, I would recommend upgrading to a better source first. An amp upgrade would also be a good idea, if budget permits.

A headphone recable does change the sound, usually for the better, but it is not a large difference. Unless your source and amp are already very high quality, it is usually a better value to allocate your budget to those two components instead of a recable.

Another other good reason I can think of to recable your headphones might be for use with a balanced amp.

If you really want to have your DT990 recabled, several of the vendors I've had experience with are all good options: APureSound, Moon Audio, Headphile or Enigma Audio.

Hi tjumper78
That setup that you have is the one that i wanted for my headphone[specially the Keces DAC, but it is very big and very expensive for me, to import to my country and i can't use it with my XMOD, because it doesn't have Optical out (for the keces da131 model)]
But it is good that we have something in common.
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am thinking about getting my dt990 2005 250ohm version recabled. i experienced a little bit of harshness in highs and some recessed mids. however, that was when i had a cheap dac and portables amps.
i upgraded to a decent dac (keces da151) and to esktop amps (gilmore lite, and little dot mk4se), i found the harshness in highs calming down a little(especially with littledot tube amp) and the mids improving a bit also.
although i love my dt990(i like it more than hd580 and hd650), it is not perfect, and that is why i am considering a recabling job.

Feb 17, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 10
Very old thread...but your source needs upgrading.

Going from an Audigy 2 ZS to an E-MU 0404 USB was as if I had been listening to my DT990s with a sheet in front of them and suddenly that sheet was lifted.

The bass also became deeper and tighter and the highs are smoother.

Did you ever recable your DT990s?

Feb 27, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Sorry for the long delay (i don't visit a lot this site anymore). Yes, i recabled it with a Denon D5000 cable (see profile).
In other hand, Yes. I am thinking in consider a very good DAC upgrade (possibly Hotaudio dacs), because i lost "a lot" of details in my xmod. When i play music at louder volumes (the bass and treble (even in the minimum setting of the cristalizer and cmss3D) obscures some mid details that i perceive when i play the music at quieter volumes; or at louder volumes. But with the headphones out of my ears)...

P.S: I don't have the DT990 drivers anymore in my DT990 since a while...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deathwish238 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very old thread...but your source needs upgrading.

Going from an Audigy 2 ZS to an E-MU 0404 USB was as if I had been listening to my DT990s with a sheet in front of them and suddenly that sheet was lifted.

The bass also became deeper and tighter and the highs are smoother.

Did you ever recable your DT990s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back