DT990 vs. SA5000 vs. D2000 Initial Impressions
Jun 24, 2007 at 6:40 PM Post #31 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by spectaculartimes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had conclusively decided to sell these and, having nothing to lose, decided to bring them to work for a final listen directly through my company-issued Compaq PC. After about 2 minutes, I completely reversed every opinion I had about them.

Interesting. What sound cards do you normally use or do you use an external DAC and amp? What is on your Compaq PC?

Jun 24, 2007 at 6:59 PM Post #32 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn.. I'm seriously considering one of these cans as a compliment to my HD600, but the more I read, the more I'm thinking the D2000's are for me. And that really annoys me because I just sold them off a week ago. I ghetto rigged (taped paper towel underneath) the headband to make them fit properly on my head.

If I could come up with a better diy way to fix their slightly too-big headband, I might possibly just rebuy them.

It's especially good to hear that the headache inducing bit went away. That was just setting in when I decided to let go of them.

I'm not sure if this would fit, but you could try and see if a beyerdynamic leather headband would fit around the D2000/D5000 headband. That would give you the needed boost. Beyer sells thems, and I bet they go for 20$ or under.

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:13 PM Post #33 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if this would fit, but you could try and see if a beyerdynamic leather headband would fit around the D2000/D5000 headband. That would give you the needed boost. Beyer sells thems, and I bet they go for 20$ or under.

they will fit...heres a pic i took couple of sec ago..
do you happen to have a link on how to buy the extra headband?

Beyer Headband on D2000

Jun 24, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #34 of 89
Hello everybody. I just joined Head-fi a few days ago, and this thread caught my eye.

I make electronic music, usually mixing with headphones. So the SA5000s were a must have. The detail and pinpoint accuracy have been a real benefit to my mixes. But they're certainly not a pleasure to listen to. It's amazing to me that they can be harsh at any frequency above 200 hz. This trait is great for my purposes. I can be sure that if my mix sounds smooth on the SA5000s, it'll work on anything. But like all of you, I'd most likely prefer listening to music with one of the other pairs discussed.

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #35 of 89
Thanks for the comparison Azure, I read your the DT990 vs D2000 impressions with particular interest.

Keep us posted
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #36 of 89
@kamal007: As I said in the other thread, spot on solution with the beyer headband cover. I've asked beyer if they will sell me the cover. So if I can get one, I think I might actually give the D2000's another try. The price has even gone down since I had picked them up.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #37 of 89
Good comparison. Though I was surprised to read that you thought the DT-990 lacked low end extension.

Also...you might want to check out the older Scooter albums, back when they were...you know, good
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #38 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they will fit...heres a pic i took couple of sec ago..
do you happen to have a link on how to buy the extra headband?

Beyer Headband on D2000

Thanks for checking into that for us Kamal007. Great to see that they fit.
As for ordering the headband, either call beyerdynamic Germany or Beyerdynamic USA and ask to order:
Headband Pad: Order # 340.502 (BN 59-53/A)

I think you can contact Beyer USA at:
Tel. +1 (631) 293-3200
or
Phone 800-293-4463

I'm not sure how much, but I wouldn't expect it to be above 20$.

Jun 24, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #39 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good comparison. Though I was surprised to read that you thought the DT-990 lacked low end extension.

Also...you might want to check out the older Scooter albums, back when they were...you know, good
tongue.gif

The DT990 bass just sounds so bloated and obnoxious compared to the D2000 (though I must admit that the D2000 sounds somewhat unpleasantly bass light compared to the DT990). The DT990 has yet to change since I posted my initial impressions (they've been burning in the whole time). I'm giving them 2 more days. For my next headphone I would like something in between the DT990 and D2000 sound signature (CD3000?).

Actually, I plan on selling some of my gear/headphones to buy more music, so I'm very open to suggestions. It really bothers me that I have such a hard time finding music that I actually like; it seems that apparently I listen to the "bad" music, according to everybody else, but I've yet to hear something good by Paul Oakenfold, Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk, etc. (I haven't heard too much by these artists, but what I have heard sounds so boring and mundane and repetitive...).

The only Scooter CD I've purchased is Push The Beat For This Jam: The Second Chapter, which I bought 2 years ago. Which album do you recommend?

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #40 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I plan on selling some of my gear/headphones to buy more music, so I'm very open to suggestions. It really bothers me that I have such a hard time finding music that I actually like; it seems that apparently I listen to the "bad" music, according to everybody else, but I've yet to hear something good by Paul Oakenfold, Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk, etc. (I haven't heard too much by these artists, but what I have heard sounds so boring and mundane and repetitive...).

I'm in the same situation. It's hard because what most people listen to just puts me to sleep. But at the same time a track by Burzum called Tomhet, which is basically a simple melody repeating for 14 minutes is riveting. I think it's how well one's state of mind at the time connects with the emotion in the music. Sadly I think a lot of music these days is just a rehash of the super-hit formula or the experimental artsy formula, or the "yay I'm making generic electronic music!" formula, and you rarely find a piece of someone in it.

Quote:

The only Scooter CD I've purchased is Push The Beat For This Jam: The Second Chapter, which I bought 2 years ago. Which album do you recommend?

I'd recommend their first album "...and the beat goes on!". Then again, it's all about context. I think our taste for music grows as we ourselves grow to be able to appreciate different forms of it. I could recommend some tracks but it'd be like pulling a needle out of a haystack
tongue.gif
Digitally Imported (www.di.fm) has a lot of different live radio feeds you might like.

Jun 25, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #41 of 89
Quote:

Paul Oakenfold, Armin van Buuren, Paul van Dyk, etc. (I haven't heard too much by these artists, but what I have heard sounds so boring and mundane and repetitive...).

That is all mainstream stuff, lacks creativity and thought. I'm a huge fan of electronic and I even have a hard time enjoying that stuff. Good electronic requires a decent amount of research and there are many sub genres that are so completely different. Because of that it is difficult to make recommendations of specific artists to people without knowing a few tracks that they're fond of. + there are different purposes for it. Some electronic is designed solely for the purpose of getting people dancing, some of it is for being mellow and relaxing, some is just for an interesting listen, some has the power to energize you and set you in a positive mood, some is for smoking weed and bobbing your head to.... etc.. lol

There truly is a lot of fantastic stuff out there. I think electronic has the most creative potential of any genre and can easily be the most interesting music out there. It's also easily one of the most misunderstood genres as a whole. It's definitely the most diverse! You just need to continue to search. Bottom line is 90% of mainstream/commercial stuff is total CRAP IMO.

Sad to hear you didn't like the 990's. I have them coming in tomorrow and they're replacing the 770's that I've already really been enjoying for 2 weeks.

Jun 25, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #43 of 89
Quote:

Which album do you recommend?

My proposal would be start listening to online radio (f.e. shoutcast.com, 128/160/192 Kb, search for "ambient" or "trance" or "Oakenfold" or "Scooter" etc.), looking at the titles of the tracks you like and buying CDs produced by such artists.

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:30 AM Post #44 of 89
i read in another thread that sa5000 have a spike at 2-3 khz,so i put those frequencies down by around 4 db with xfi software equalizer and they started sounding a lot more neutral and full bodied,and the base doesnt seem weak any more

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:51 AM Post #45 of 89
My new source (Benchmark DAC1) arrived today, and I've been doing some more comparisons between the DT990 and D2000 and I'm having a hard time deciding which one I like best.

I've spent more time with the DT990s and have become more accustomed to its high levels of bass volume. The DT990s have great bass volume that makes my music sound very fun and lively. However, the D2000 bass seems to have greater extension. The DT990 mids sound dry, recessed, and kind of boring. While the D2000 mids sound more balanced and smooth. The D2000 sound very smooth and balanced across the frequency range, which can be both a good and a bad thing. Ugh, I need some headphone that is between the D2000 and DT990
frown.gif

I'm leaning more towards the DT990 (the D2000 really sounds bass light in comparison), but the velour pads are really starting to bug me! Any idea of where I can get leather pads (which I hope are more comfortable and less intrusive with the skin)? This is how I currently see it:

DT990
Pros:
-Bass volume/physical impact (D2000 offers no competition in this regard)
-Air and soundstage
Cons:
-Dry, sucked out mids
-Uncomfortable velour pads

D2000
Pros:
-Smooth, balanced sound across the frequency range
-More "juicy" mids compared to DT990
-Greater bass extension
Cons:
-Very little bass volume/physical impact
-Lack of air/soundstage

I'm still using the M^3 as my amplifier. I could sell the SA5000 and the M^3 and use the money to buy a Darkvoice, but I'm not sure if that'd help in remedying any of the above flaws (would it?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back