DT990 vs. SA5000 vs. D2000 Initial Impressions
Jun 26, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #76 of 89
I think physical burn-in exists, but I think it exists to a much smaller degree than people make it out to be (people here seem to praise it as some sort of divine power that can radically transform headphones). However, I think more of it is mental burn-in/placebo and having your mind become accustomed to the sound. After extended listening I became more accustomed to the DT990 bass and it really doesn't seem as bloated and over-the-top as I originally thought it was.

Jun 26, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #77 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by EsthetiX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd send you my new pair to test in comparison but you don't really have enough reputation on here
frown.gif
+ I couldn't stand being without my new 990's......

Maybe I don't have enough reputation on this forum. However I am very thankful that this forum exists and to the member that introduced DT990's at
B&H's great price!

Jun 26, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #78 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After extended listening I became more accustomed to the DT990 bass and it really doesn't seem as bloated and over-the-top as I originally thought it was.

Too me coming from 770's it sounded weak. I wanted more. haha. After some time I have come to realize it's juuuust right for me though. Now I think the 770's are just too much.

Jun 27, 2007 at 2:09 AM Post #79 of 89
well im not so sure - i think, at least with the K701, burn-in (and i do mean physical) is very very real

i barely listened to the cans - just a few things at the beginning and every now and then to check progress

and after 45 hours of pink noise, i can definitely say that there is more bass, and it doesnt sound as artificial as it did - the soundstage is really coming through as is instrument placement - treble spike is dying down a bit but still there

cant wait for my 300+ hours of burn-in time
biggrin.gif

also have a D2000 on the way

mwahahahaha

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #83 of 89
I'd do it, if I were you
wink.gif
lol

Jun 27, 2007 at 6:16 AM Post #84 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd do it, if I were you
wink.gif
lol

x2

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:05 AM Post #86 of 89
Ugh, the velour pads are really starting to bug me. I definitely prefer (p)leather over velour. Velour just has too much "fuzzy texture" to it, which makes my ears get hot a lot faster.

What headphones would you guys say I should try next? I'm thinking either CD3000 (If I can find one for a sane price...), HD650, or bass-heavy K340 (fully modded, of course). However, I'm also curious about Ultrasones...

Quote:

Originally Posted by uraflit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
this thread has gotten me to seriously consider buying a d2000... ARGH

The Denons are definitely a great buy. They have a great sense of coherency that leaves much to be desired with the DT990.

Jun 27, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #87 of 89
Quote:

Ugh, the velour pads are really starting to bug me. I definitely prefer (p)leather over velour. Velour just has too much "fuzzy texture" to it, which makes my ears get hot a lot faster.

What headphones would you guys say I should try next? I'm thinking either CD3000 (If I can find one for a sane price...), HD650, or bass-heavy K340 (fully modded, of course). However, I'm also curious about Ultrasones...

The Denons are definitely a great buy. They have a great sense of coherency that leaves much to be desired with the DT990.

I think you gona find 650 to boring and bass shy with the music you like, and when you like 990 and think D2000 has to little bass. I think the more I burn in my D2000 the better they get, I start to prefere them over 650 in many music genres I thought was the 650s domain. Maybe Dt880 600ohms with leather, These are a pair of cans that at least I must try some day.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #88 of 89
Quote:

Azure, why did you sell yours? Sorry if you already posted the reason earlier.

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #89 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Azure, why did you sell yours? Sorry if you already posted the reason earlier.

I preferred the DT990s in the end. The Denons, while very smooth and coherent, just didn't have the bass volume and soundstage/air I wanted out of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back