DT990: Too Much Of A Good Thing?
Dec 7, 2006 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Spad

Headphoneus Supremus
My 990/32s have only a few hours on them, but so far I'm thinking the bass response may be too much of a good thing for my taste. I listen almost exclusively to classical and jazz and my response varies from "wow" to "woe" depending on the material. If the recording already has a strong bass-line the bass can be overpowering.

The bass emphasis isn't particularly source dependent either. For example, it's present running directly from all iPod models, from SACDs feeding a Corda HA-2, and from various Xin incarnations.

BTW, for those interested in running these directly from a DAP, I say have at it. They're not as sensitive as their 32 Ohm impedance might lead some to think--my 70 Ohm SA5K plays louder, for example--but iPods, including the new Nanos, handle them well enough.

For those familiar with the DT880 sound, and even those who aren't, this may be interesting: My 880 ('03)/iPod 5g/Xin SM3 combination sounds practically identical to my 990 running directly from the same iPod providing I set the EQ to "Bass Reducer!" Let me add that I'm not among those who find the 880 at all light in the bass department. On the contrary, I think they're among the best balanced headphones I've heard and count them among my all time favorites.

The rest of the spectrum is typical Beyer--smooth, refined and slightly treble tipped--which is fairly ideal for many of us "old fogey" types with our naturally rolled off high frequency hearing.

Dec 7, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 7
Burn them in at least 50 hours, 100 would be better, and then listen.

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 7
I noticed the bass at first, but have gotten used to it. I never really feel the dt990 has a lot of bass, it's actually a pretty good level for me. It doesn't dominate, but it does have presence.

Dec 7, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn them in at least 50 hours, 100 would be better, and then listen.

That's the usual response from 990 fans.

I, personally, found them too much of a good thing as you have, and sold them in favor of the DT880's.

It's all very personal. No biggie.

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #5 of 7
I've been through the "new 'phone" thing many times. Other than possibly the W2002, I've never experienced dramatic changes as a result of burn-in. IMO, what takes place is more a recalibration of our response to the headphone rather than any significant change in the headphone itself. This works well enough if one listens primarily to that one 'phone but not well at all if several different models are involved.

There's much to like about the 990, especially compared to my old (circa mid-80s) 990/600, but I'd swap 'em in a flash for a 880/32.

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #6 of 7
Well, I own 05 DT990's and 880's, and I'd say that if after the burn in you think they are still too much bass (I do not, but different strokes, y'know), then trade them for some DT880's.

But I do not agree that the headphones do not change with burn in, and that it's an adjustment, since I don't listen to my headphones during burn in. I listen briefly right out of the box, and then again briefly at 50 hours, and then at 100 hours. Most (but not all) headphones I have bought new have changed sound some (not dramatically, but meaningfully) during the first 100 hours.

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 7
My problem with my dt990-32 so far is the midrange. Its too sucked out. and the highs that pierce with certain songs. I haven't really evaluated the bass cause my receivers output is too dirty in the bass region for evaluation and my dap doesnt have enough power and gain to make me really appreciate the bass. Im still waiting for my headfive before I give it my final judgment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back