DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jul 17, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #946 of 1,091
BTW am I alone in LOVING the clamp? I feel like people are always raving about headphones that just rest gently on the head, but man I adore the fact that these hold on. I like a headphone that doesn't feel like it's about to go flying.

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #947 of 1,091
I got my dt990's about 2 weeks ago. I too, was worried the treble might be too much. Yes those spikes are prominent, Fortunately, It doesn't make the treble harsh or edgy, It's just a bit too bright. As others on this thread have noted,those spikes can be toned down. Don't laugh, but I'm using the. ' TP' mod. 1 sheet of 2 ply tucked under the earpads (easy, cheap). It reduces 8khz by -3db and 10khz by -5db, with no effect on 4khz or lower. It works for me.

One thing that kind of surprised me, though,was that the bass wasn' t as much as I thought it would be; based on what the frequency response graphs seem to indicate. It's the same as my senn. 518's; which is just a bit more than my 598's. It's good, about the right level, I just thought it would be more.

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #948 of 1,091
Just placed an order for an EDT770V and EDT990V replacement earpads from Amazon, the earpads look the same so I don't know what the difference between them is. Regardless, looking forward to receiving them.....gonna keep the DT770 Pro as well, liking what I've heard thus far.

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #950 of 1,091
Just put the grey pads on and indeed, they do seem slightly less edgy up top!! They still have a peak, but it doesn't grate as much. I compared the pads before putting them on and the black ones on mine were just slightly deeper and the grey ones put your ears very slightly closer to the drivers perhaps.

I don't know whether my ears have just adjusted to the dt990, but I also don't find them as bassy as graphs or other guys have suggested.

Perhaps I've just got an odd head? :wink:

Jul 17, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #951 of 1,091
Just put the grey pads on and indeed, they do seem slightly less edgy up top!! They still have a peak, but it doesn't grate as much. I compared the pads before putting them on and the black ones on mine were just slightly deeper and the grey ones put your ears very slightly closer to the drivers perhaps.

I don't know whether my ears have just adjusted to the dt990, but I also don't find them as bassy as graphs or other guys have suggested.

Perhaps I've just got an odd head? :wink:

Glad the pads helped the treble some for you. The DT 990 isn't really as bassy as people say, it's definitely not weak in bass though and has a nice slam, but it was only a bit bassier than my Austrian-made K612 and about the same as the K712. The Chinese-made K612 hits like a wet noodle, it's dynamics and bass slam are so weak directly compared to the Austrian one. I honestly found a well amped HD 600 and HD 650 outputs a bit more bass than the DT 990.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #952 of 1,091
I loved the wet noodle bit!!!! :beyersmile:

The grey pads don't seem to have touched so much in the bass but just a smidgen away from that peak, I think. That means I am able to turn up a bit more without pain and get a fruitier bass going.

I sat out in the garden this afternoon with it attached to my IFi idsd and Fio X5. It does have a rather nice rubber band type bass. I'd like it to go a bit deeper, but what you get is very nice.

I also have a K712 and like that a lot.

I remember a few years back, many mentioning sucked out mids on the dt990 and vertainly looking at FR graphs shows that, but actually, that's not quite what I'm hearing.

Makes me wonder whether there are slight changes that have happened over the years. The bass sounds good to me and really not overbearing. In fact, on some tracks, I wouldn't have minded a bit more!!!

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #953 of 1,091
I loved the wet noodle bit!!!!
beyersmile.png

The grey pads don't seem to have touched so much in the bass but just a smidgen away from that peak, I think. That means I am able to turn up a bit more without pain and get a fruitier bass going.

I sat out in the garden this afternoon with it attached to my IFi idsd and Fio X5. It does have a rather nice rubber band type bass. I'd like it to go a bit deeper, but what you get is very nice.

I also have a K712 and like that a lot.

I remember a few years back, many mentioning sucked out mids on the dt990 and vertainly looking at FR graphs shows that, but actually, that's not quite what I'm hearing.

Makes me wonder whether there are slight changes that have happened over the years. The bass sounds good to me and really not overbearing. In fact, on some tracks, I wouldn't have minded a bit more!!!

Yeah, I don't think many people realize the chinese made AKGs suffer a bit sound quality and build quality wise. I couldn't stand the K7XX after owning the K712 for so long, it sounded unrefined, lacking body, and rough in the treble in comparison.

It does help, I ended up selling my DT 990 LE instead of getting pads as I got a few other headphones. The DT 1770 has replaced it for me, it's more intimate but I found it to have sweeter and more euphoric mids, smoother treble, and slammier and heavier bass(and more bass excursion, my DT 990 LE started breaking up in the bass at a certain volume level, left side moreso than right).

The reason the mids aren't bad is because the DT 990 has good dynamics and excellent clarity. If a headphone has good dynamics and midrange clarity the mids are perfectly fine if not great even if somewhat sucked out. There is so much more to sound quality than frequency response graphs.

It could be or people simply exaggerated the bass on the headphone. I'm personally used to headphones with even more bass than the DT 990 such as the Nighthawks and the DT 1770.

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #954 of 1,091
I noticed the 880/990 pads are identical, but the 770 ones are different. The padding is denser and the velour is not as plush and has some sort of vinyl like inner layer. Overall the 990/880 ones are more comfortable but the 770's offer more isolation.

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #955 of 1,091
I tried Nighthawks on loan and found them a very curious listen. Really couldn't make my mind up. I think that I ended up li,ing them though. They didn't sound like anything else and were a brave move, I think on the manufacturers side. I hated the cables.

I have also been quite interested in the dt1770. I like the dt770 a lot as well. Rumours about build started to freak me out though. I think eventually, I'lll be getting one though. I'm waiting for hopefully, a price drop .....

I also use a TH900 which has a healthy bass response and mids that are a bit recessed!! Also like that although I do find the top a bit hard sometimes. Then I go to the d2000 which is a touch softer in the treble.

Problem is that I have so many headphones and they all have their own particular strengths. I never really stay with one in particular.

The one I've bought the most times is the Senn hd650. To save money, I leave one stashed away!!!

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #956 of 1,091
I tried Nighthawks on loan and found them a very curious listen. Really couldn't make my mind up. I think that I ended up li,ing them though. They didn't sound like anything else and were a brave move, I think on the manufacturers side. I hated the cables.

I have also been quite interested in the dt1770. I like the dt770 a lot as well. Rumours about build started to freak me out though. I think eventually, I'lll be getting one though. I'm waiting for hopefully, a price drop .....

I also use a TH900 which has a healthy bass response and mids that are a bit recessed!! Also like that although I do find the top a bit hard sometimes. Then I go to the d2000 which is a touch softer in the treble.

Problem is that I have so many headphones and they all have their own particular strengths. I never really stay with one in particular.

The one I've bought the most times is the Senn hd650. To save money, I leave one stashed away!!!

The Nighthawks are a headphone you really need to live with. They are excellent but weird and different, but really not all that weird once you get a good grasp of them. The cables are just meh, I hate the DT 1770 stock cables more, thick and not very pliable. I replaced it with a cheap and shoter aftermarket AKG silver-plated copper cable real quick.

The early DT 1770 do have issues, mine did. Mine is serial number 377. The channel imbalance and distortion issues were caused my dampening issues, thus why I modded it(added dampening inside the earcups).  Mine has a headband issue, need to replace that sometime. Though honestly I'm eyeing the DT 1990 Pro that's coming out soon.

I had some trouble with the treble on the TH900 but nothing big.

True, so many headphones have their strengths and weaknesses. I usually stick with a couple headphones exclusively at a time, for me it's the DT 1770(being my overall favorite) and the Nighthawks(a close second place).

I had issues with the vocals on the HD 650, always seemed a tad disconnected to me, the HD 600 had better vocals to my ears but it's imaging, instrument tonality, and soundstaging wasn't as good as the HD 650, it was also a bit less musical. I actually liked the HD 580 better than the HD 600 and HD 650, which honestly seemed to have the best traits of both.

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #957 of 1,091
I agree. I preferred the hd580 as well. Mine finally gave up the ghost (the connection problem into the ups) so I replaced it with an hd600 and then the hd650. I seem to go from loving both of them to finding them boring!!! That's when I've sold the hd650 in the past only to replace it again later!

I wouldn't mind trying again with a Nighthawk actually, but the price ......

I can't believe that they put it out with those awful cables TBH. Then that paper describing how great one is in comparison to the other.

I didn't know about a dt1990. That will be interesting and yet another one I'd be very curious about. I hope they manage to extend the bass deeper. That would bring them really to life for me.

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #958 of 1,091
I noticed the 880/990 pads are identical, but the 770 ones are different. The padding is denser and the velour is not as plush and has some sort of vinyl like inner layer. Overall the 990/880 ones are more comfortable but the 770's offer more isolation.

Buying replacement pads can be a bit tricky then. We need to be sure to get the right ones.. Let alone the non Beyerdynamic ones that fly around as well.

I remember years ago, replacing the dt770 pads and wondering what on earth had happened to the bass. I lived with it for some time beforeI realised that I had bought wrong pads.

Buying another new set, but for the right headphone brought that bass back.

Jul 17, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #959 of 1,091
I agree. I preferred the hd580 as well. Mine finally gave up the ghost (the connection problem into the ups) so I replaced it with an hd600 and then the hd650. I seem to go from loving both of them to finding them boring!!! That's when I've sold the hd650 in the past only to replace it again later!

I wouldn't mind trying again with a Nighthawk actually, but the price ......

I can't believe that they put it out with those awful cables TBH. Then that paper describing how great one is in comparison to the other.

I didn't know about a dt1990. That will be interesting and yet another one I'd be very curious about. I hope they manage to extend the bass deeper. That would bring them really to life for me.

Sucks about the connection issue ended the life of the HD 580. Makes me wonder why they ever discontinued it, was the best of the HD 6xx line to be honest. I feel the same about them, but likely won't get another pair.

True, you would have to fine a used one.

The thicker cable doesn't sound bad, it does sound better than the thin one but it is too stiff and has a tendency to get kinked, not the best cable design. I do find the silver-plated 1/4th adapter makes a difference though and I use it for all my headphones.

Yeah, the DT 990 Pro is getting a Tesla driver big brother, I am very curious about it too, I hope it takes a darker and bassier tone than the T1(both gen 1 and gen 2) and  the T90. Beyer's professional headphones do tend to be darker and bassier than their audiophile oriented headphones though. Here is a picture of it. Should be released a few months from now.

Jul 17, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #960 of 1,091

Let me know if you want a pair of Hawks! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back