DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jul 1, 2016 at 3:32 AM Post #931 of 1,091
I am fairly certain they are the same internally, but with different exterior styling & cables (Pro = coiled; Limited & Premium = straight). Here is some additional info that I came across:
http://homestudiobasics.com/beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-vs-premium-end-all-confusion/
I have the 250 Pro model & I agree with XERO1: They are some of the best sounding under-$200 headphones I've ever heard.

Thanks for that link. I've been thinking about getting an open back hp to complement my Senn. Hd5x8's.I want a pair of open backs that are more v-shaped with more bass than the senns.A more fun sound.  Don't get me wrong, I like the senns neutrlalish sound; but for a change of pace, with some music I want a more fun sound. The Dt990's appear to be what I'm looking for. The only thing that concerns me, is that the treble might be too much for me. Although I could equalize the treble, to tone down the highs, if they're too much.

I've got a line on a used pair of Premiums. Think I'll buy them.

Jul 1, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #932 of 1,091

I am fairly certain they are the same internally, but with different exterior styling & cables (Pro = coiled; Limited & Premium = straight). Here is some additional info that I came across:
http://homestudiobasics.com/beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro-vs-premium-end-all-confusion/
I have the 250 Pro model & I agree with XERO1: They are some of the best sounding under-$200 headphones I've ever heard.

Thanks for that link. I've been thinking about getting an open back hp to complement my Senn. Hd5x8's.I want a pair of open backs that are more v-shaped with more bass than the senns.A more fun sound.  Don't get me wrong, I like the senns neutrlalish sound; but for a change of pace, with some music I want a more fun sound. The Dt990's appear to be what I'm looking for. The only thing that concerns me, is that the treble might be too much for me. Although I could equalize the treble, to tone down the highs, if they're too much.

You won't be disappointed.  On many recordings, I find the treble to be too much, but the rest of the sound presentation EASILY makes up for this trade off for me.  They respond very well to EQ and I've recently just put another foam cover over the driver which has enabled me to enjoy these amazing headphones on more material now without EQ.  I also have the HD598 and these are, as you are imagining, a great compliment to the 598s more slow, laid back and liquid smooth presentation.

Jul 1, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #933 of 1,091
  You won't be disappointed.  On many recordings, I find the treble to be too much, but the rest of the sound presentation EASILY makes up for this trade off for me.  They respond very well to EQ and I've recently just put another foam cover over the driver which has enabled me to enjoy these amazing headphones on more material now without EQ.  I also have the HD598 and these are, as you are imagining, a great compliment to the 598s more slow, laid back and liquid smooth presentation.

Great. Good to know they respond well to EQ; but, you've got me curious about the foam cover. What type of foam cover? Where did you get it?

Jul 1, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #934 of 1,091

You're welcome for the info. I was confused too when I was researching prices prior to buying them.

amigomatt's comments perfectly sum up the DT990 in my opinion.

I hope you enjoy them!

Jul 2, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #935 of 1,091

Great. Good to know they respond well to EQ; but, you've got me curious about the foam cover. What type of foam cover? Where did you get it?

I just took the foam ring out of an old pair of AKG K260, which I presume are the same as in the more popular K240 range and quite readily available.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #938 of 1,091
So I'm not a "bright headphone" guy, but I gambled on a pair for $100 on Amazon's warehouse. I've been in love with stuff like the LCD-2 (pre-fazor), Audioquest Nighthawk, etc. I'd heard nightmare stories of the treble spike. I decided to test 'em out by putting on some VERY harsh black metal that I know would make my ears bleed. No burn-in, using a Schiit Vali. Just straight out of the box.

Boys? Color me IMPRESSED. 

The spike is there, but it's not BAD. Just present. I only notice it really with cheap mics on Skype. I've been trying to sort of "pare down" my collection to cheap equipment and dayum.

Jul 15, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #939 of 1,091
  So I'm not a "bright headphone" guy, but I gambled on a pair for $100 on Amazon's warehouse. I've been in love with stuff like the LCD-2 (pre-fazor), Audioquest Nighthawk, etc. I'd heard nightmare stories of the treble spike. I decided to test 'em out by putting on some VERY harsh black metal that I know would make my ears bleed. No burn-in, using a Schiit Vali. Just straight out of the box.

The spike is there, but it's not BAD. Just present. I only notice it really with cheap mics on Skype. I've been trying to sort of "pare down" my collection to cheap equipment and dayum.

The peak threw me off initially, but I did get used to it. It really only creeps in when cranking volume in certain busy tracks. I did mess with EQ and found a simple fix by lowering 4-5 db in the 8-10khz range. But then found it affects clarity and detail on other more intimate tracks. So I usually leave EQ off unless a particular track calls for it.

Jul 15, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #940 of 1,091
  The peak threw me off initially, but I did get used to it. It really only creeps in when cranking volume in certain busy tracks. I did mess with EQ and found a simple fix by lowering 4-5 db in the 8-10khz range. But then found it affects clarity and detail on other more intimate tracks. So I usually leave EQ off unless a particular track calls for it.

I do feel it's an "artificial" clarity, but honestly I don't mind it. I'm enjoying the size and space of things. I'm also just pleased as punch that I might end up with a $100 headphone coming down from using gear in the $1000 area. 

Jul 16, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #941 of 1,091

The treble spike on the DT 990 Pro isn't all that bad and can easily be EQ'd or modded out if it poses a problem, it wasn't all that much of a problem for me when I had them except on the LE which had those black pads that made the treble notably brighter. Beyer is where it's at the $100-200 price range imho. Just wait until you hear the DT 150(you should love these, they are on the darker side, think somewhat similar to Hawks but with more midrange energy and slightly more treble energy and not quite as deep bass).

Jul 16, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #942 of 1,091
Wow, I didn't know the velour pads made a big difference.I'd replaced the stock pads on my DT990 600 Ohms with a pair of black Beyerdynamic ones, I thought the bass sounded a little off. It didn't seem as powerful as before. I then took the black ones and placed them on my just acquired DT770 250 Ohms and the bass that many have talked about for the DT770 seemed somewhat underwhelming. Damn, when I replaced the black ones with the stock DT770 ones, yowzah, there was a difference. The bass had more impact......what the heck. They are velour pads and are quite similar in shape/build after all, yet they affect the sound quite.....significantly.

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #944 of 1,091
Blast .........

I've now had to order some grey pads to see what's happening.

Is the density of the pads different?

The black pads and grey pads feel different material and foam wise. The black pads have a firmer and likely more porous foam and have rougher fabric texture. The grey pads are softer, have smoother and softer fabric, and the foam does seem to compress more but it also brings out more bass impact and makes the treble darker compared to the black pads. This is comparing the 990V(grey) to 990VB(black) pads, not 770 pads or anything like that.

Jul 16, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #945 of 1,091
Thanks Kman. I have a set coming tomorrow now. I do find the peak in the treble a bit ott on occasions so if the grey pads take it down, it will help them. I do like the look of the all black headphone though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back