DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #317 of 1,091
Usually these onboard sound chips don't sound too good, it may drive them loud enough but there might be some noise, etc. A good DAC may be in order, then a decent amp to complement it. Of course, I've never tried that Mobo, so you might find it sounds sublime.

Feb 4, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #318 of 1,091
I run off my desktop, wouldn't a sound card be a better purchase to get? I get a little confused on DACs and amps and stuff, i've read about it a million times (okay, so sound cards are basically internal dac's, but have amps on them, and then external dac's dont have amps on them, but sometimes they do but sometimes they dont have plug-ins so you need an amp so you have something to plug in to).

I would imagine there's enough to drive a 250 ohm headphone on this 600ohm headphone amp, even if it's not as strong as 600ohm. Maybe the quality isn't great but i'm sure it's good enough, at least enough to compare the 558s vs DT990s off of it and be able to tell which is better or which I'd like more, without the dt990 sounding artificially crappy. 

I went with the 558s but I plan to buy the dt990s this month and A/B the two to see which I like more. 

Feb 4, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #319 of 1,091
For comparison purposes it is probably good, but if you plan on using some cans regularly I'd get a DAC/Amp. For now you should be fine.

Feb 5, 2014 at 7:46 PM Post #320 of 1,091
I run off my desktop, wouldn't a sound card be a better purchase to get? I get a little confused on DACs and amps and stuff, i've read about it a million times (okay, so sound cards are basically internal dac's, but have amps on them, and then external dac's dont have amps on them, but sometimes they do but sometimes they dont have plug-ins so you need an amp so you have something to plug in to).

I would imagine there's enough to drive a 250 ohm headphone on this 600ohm headphone amp, even if it's not as strong as 600ohm. Maybe the quality isn't great but i'm sure it's good enough, at least enough to compare the 558s vs DT990s off of it and be able to tell which is better or which I'd like more, without the dt990 sounding artificially crappy. 

I went with the 558s but I plan to buy the dt990s this month and A/B the two to see which I like more. 

Not knowing your budget, I'd suggest a uDAC2. It's a DAC/amp that sounds surprisingly good with the pros, has a line-out and can be purchased very inexpensively. Good luck,

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #321 of 1,091

Modded DT990s, sadly I believe I ruined a driver while doing the mod or atleast I need to fix the wiring.

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #322 of 1,091
^ What did you do, just bleach then dye the inner drive pad?

Not knowing your budget, I'd suggest a uDAC2. It's a DAC/amp that sounds surprisingly good with the pros, has a line-out and can be purchased very inexpensively. Good luck,

That's definitely out of budget. Under $100, ideally under $50. I'm not someone who'd likely notice the difference with that anyways.

Is there a big difference between the DT990 and Takstar 2050s? As I mentioned earlier, I bought the 558s but planning to buy the dt990s to A/B them, but I'm thinking of buying the 1/3rd the price takstar 2050s if they are basically the same thing. 

Feb 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #323 of 1,091
That's definitely out of budget. Under $100, ideally under $50. I'm not someone who'd likely notice the difference with that anyways.

??

Last time I looked factory refurbs were selling for ~$70 on ebay and used units go for even less in the classifieds. Not that it really matters, I guess. Just because the 990pros sound like cardboard without a halfway decent amplifier, no reason to consider buying one. Then there's that thing about source....

:)

Feb 7, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #324 of 1,091
My onboard audio has a 600ohm headphone amp so it'll drive it just fine. I'm not really an audiophile, I don't really hear differences between better tracks and stuff. I don't really fancy spending money on something I wouldn't notice. I'm planning to buy the dt990 250pro and A/B it with some 558s I just bought, and return the one I like less (probably will pick due to comfort). 

Feb 7, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #325 of 1,091
I actually opened up the headphone pried out the white plastic backing removed the white cloth and stretched some purple cloth over it. Then I replaced the pads with a purple darker than the grills cloth.

Just me or do the DT990 pro 250 sound fine while unamped. Sometimes at night Id just use my Galaxy S4 they didnt get super loud but it still sounded good.

The problem with onboard sound is usually a lot of EMI noise. Like squirrely sounds and hissing. Usually its harder to notice on harder to drive headphones though.

Feb 7, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #326 of 1,091
[...]

Just me or do the DT990 pro 250 sound fine while unamped. Sometimes at night Id just use my Galaxy S4 they didnt get super loud but it still sounded good.

The problem with onboard sound is usually a lot of EMI noise. Like squirrely sounds and hissing. Usually its harder to notice on harder to drive headphones though.

All depends on what one considers "fine" and "sounds good." Everything is relative.

Feb 23, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #327 of 1,091
Gotta say, after a month of daily listening I think I now believe burn in (at least mental burn in anyways). I've tried these headphone with pretty much every genre of music and they are a solid, imo. Definitely a new experience. these being my first open-back headphones after all.  

Feb 24, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #328 of 1,091
  Gotta say, after a month of daily listening I think I now believe burn in (at least mental burn in anyways). I've tried these headphone with pretty much every genre of music and they are a solid, imo. Definitely a new experience. these being my first open-back headphones after all.  

I think burn in is an absolute fact. When I got my headphones back after a driver replacement they sounded what can only be described as 'cloudy' and NOT the headphones I remembered, gave them a few hours continuous play and the next day they were back to how I always remember them - no cloudiness in the high end, clear, detailed, punchy.

Feb 25, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #329 of 1,091
  ^ What did you do, just bleach then dye the inner drive pad?

Is there a big difference between the DT990 and Takstar 2050s? As I mentioned earlier, I bought the 558s but planning to buy the dt990s to A/B them, but I'm thinking of buying the 1/3rd the price takstar 2050s if they are basically the same thing. 

I would go with the Fiio E17.

It's VERY versatile and sounds great while capable of driving higher impedance cans.

Just cut out EVERY possible expense for the next couple of weeks and you can swing it.

I plan on getting a pair of DT 990 Pro in the next few weeks and then getting the E17 if my 2 current setups can't drive them.

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:59 AM Post #330 of 1,091
Just got mine a few days ago. Sounds beautiful even through my e07k amp/dac which that high-end. A mile ahead my old DT770 and I actually prefer my dt990 to the HD650/600/598 I auditioned last week. 

Sidenote: Upgrades from the e07k? Any amplifier sound particularly good with the DT990?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back