DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #301 of 1,091
I'm torn between the Premiums and Pro dt 990s.  I've heard that the Premiums are looser fitting than the Pro versions of these.  Can anyone comment on that?  I have a large head (7 1/2 hat size), so headphones like the AD700s fit and felt great on my head, but i didnt like the wing flaps on the top.  Are the only differences between the premium and pro ascetics?

Jan 30, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #302 of 1,091
I've heard they have less clamp, although I personally haven't tried. Apart from any effect this will have on the sound(minimal) and any impedance choices, that's about it.

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #303 of 1,091
  When, after a few years your dt 990 pros may die (mine lasted 7 years) then you can use them as ear muffs for the Winter.
biggrin.gif

Just wondering if there are coloured ear muffs for these.

what happened to ur 990s?

Jan 30, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #305 of 1,091
I'm torn between the Premiums and Pro dt 990s.  I've heard that the Premiums are looser fitting than the Pro versions of these.  Can anyone comment on that?  I have a large head (7 1/2 hat size), so headphones like the AD700s fit and felt great on my head, but i didnt like the wing flaps on the top.  Are the only differences between the premium and pro ascetics?

If you are worried about not liking them, get the Pros. Less hit to the wallet. If you are pretty sure you are going to love them, get the Premiums. You'll never regret it. I'm stuck with the Pros, which is fine, but I wish I wasn't such a cheap person sometimes. The aesthetics alone are worth the $80.

Other than that, clamp breaks in over time. I can't imagine there is a purpsoeful clamp discrepancy, but rather one that finds it source in the materials. The clamp staying power would probably be better with the Premuims in the long run.

Jan 30, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #306 of 1,091
I didn't feel my headphones falling off after 7 years of use with the pros.

They get better.

I like the rugged look of the pros.

The premiums of course are the better phones but I'd be too scared to scratch them.

Plus if I was going to buy them,I'd most likely get the 600 ohm version(hmm, I think they only come in 600 ohm anyway)which would force my hand into buying a more powerful amp to run them.

My Original Master only caters to headphones up to 300 ohms.
BTW that amp has been running like clockwork after 7 years use also.
Very happy with it.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #309 of 1,091
Yay, picked one up.

I am disappointed with the bass clarity not being on par with my DT770Pro-250.  Not even the M50 is this bad.  I'm also not enjoying the vertical compression of the soundstage caused by the 4-6kHz boost and the dip after 500Hz.  That upper mids boost muddies the highs and makes vocals somewhat tinny, the treble is otherwise fine by me and my music despite being a bit wooly for my taste, and I was expecting them to be brighter and fatiguing given the headphone's reputation for a V-shaped signature (I'm very glad they're not at all).  I hope I didn't get a crappy sample.  I've heard enough DT770Pro-80s to get an idea of how much they can vary from unit to unit: one DT770 can have muddier bass than M50 or clear, tight, rock-solid bass almost rivaling the little T50p, and most DT770s fall somewhere in between.

So now I'd like y'all's input, if you guys are all getting muddier bass and significant FR dip after 500Hz as well, there's probably no point in rolling DT990s for one with smaller dip/boost and better bass, lol.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #310 of 1,091
I've never heard the 770s but to me it sounds like you got a faulty pair of 990s. To me the bass response is never muddy, the mids are a tad recessed but the bass is strong, there when you need it but put of the way when you don't.

Feb 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #311 of 1,091
No, I'd classify the DT990 bass as somewhat muddy. All boomy bass muddies the sound to some extent. But also Beyerdynamic's seem to vary a lot between individual units... you might've gotten an extra-muddy pair.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:25 PM Post #312 of 1,091
Hey, I'm in the market for a sub-$200 headphone, I dont care for isolation/portability, it's for general usage (mainly listen to electro like kavinsky, daft punk, justice, not bass heavy bassnector or skrillex, but i listen to indie, metal, etc too). 

Kavinsky odd look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT0iQRjHbW4

I'm torn between the 558s and DT990s right now, leaning towards 558s for being ~$20 cheaper and more people saying it's more comfortable than the DT990. 

I haven't really considered the 880 due to being only semi-open and more expensive. My only experience is having the 681 evos for the last week (gift to GF), they get a bit sore after 4+ hours due to my ear touching the driver pad (i think that's the reason).

I'll be using them solely off my Z87X-UD3H ALC898 with integrated 600 ohm headphone amp (TI DRV632). If the headphones need an amp, I'd be okay with that, I can buy one in the future if it's necessary.

Feb 3, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #313 of 1,091
  Hey, I'm in the market for a sub-$200 headphone, I dont care for isolation/portability, it's for general usage (mainly listen to electro like kavinsky, daft punk, justice, not bass heavy bassnector or skrillex, but i listen to indie, metal, etc too). 

Kavinsky odd look
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT0iQRjHbW4

I'm torn between the 558s and DT990s right now, leaning towards 558s for being ~$20 cheaper and more people saying it's more comfortable than the DT990. 

I haven't really considered the 880 due to being only semi-open and more expensive. My only experience is having the 681 evos for the last week (gift to GF), they get a bit sore after 4+ hours due to my ear touching the driver pad (i think that's the reason).

I'll be using them solely off my Z87X-UD3H ALC898 with integrated 600 ohm headphone amp (TI DRV632). If the headphones need an amp, I'd be okay with that, I can buy one in the future if it's necessary.

I would add DT770Pro to your list of considerations.  All three, and even DT880, have deeper cups/pads that are less likely to bother your ears.  Going by the photos of the Superlux, it doesn't seem to have deep cups/pads.  HD558 is excellent for the price, but you might have more fun with the Beyerdynamics.  They all excel in comfort to me with their very cushiony earpads and headbands.  All have a snug grip, HD558 a bit more than the others, unless you get the more loose-fitting Premium versions of the Beyers (which is why I prefer the Pro version shells).

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #314 of 1,091
DT770 is closed. I mean I don't have particularly deep ears or anything. Dt880 is significantly more expensive, at $195, than the DT990, and as far as I've read, they are same quality, dt990 is more comfy, but different sound signatures that people will prefer one over the other. 

unless you get the more loose-fitting Premium versions of the Beyers (which is why I prefer the Pro version shells).

Are you saying you like it snugger?

Have you used the 558, or could to speak which you preferred comfort wise? 

Feb 3, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #315 of 1,091
  DT770 is closed. I mean I don't have particularly deep ears or anything. Dt880 is significantly more expensive, at $195, than the DT990, and as far as I've read, they are same quality, dt990 is more comfy, but different sound signatures that people will prefer one over the other. 

Are you saying you like it snugger?

Have you used the 558, or could to speak which you preferred comfort wise? 

I've owned all the headphones discussed, except the Premium Beyers (edit: never tried any Superlux sets), which I only tried briefly (DT880-250, DT770-250).  I like the snugness of the Pro shells and HD558 better (edit: not that I'm implying that these have a tight, vice grip or anything like that - try HD25 or HD280 to get a feel for "too tight").  The Premiums are too loose for me liking, and I have a moderately large head.  HD558 has a more "serious" and peaceful sound as opposed to the mildly aggressive, grungy, and punchier Beyers.  DT770 is closed, but has its advantages and disadvantages versus 880 and 990.  Which is better is up to your own ears, I say.  I tried DT880Pro and DT880 Premium in the distant past, but now that I'm aware of how much headphones can vary in quality within the same model (from unit to unit, especially Beyerdynamic), I think that I probably heard poorer DT880 samples.  Now I want to "revisit" DT880, and I've found myself loving DT770Pro-250 as well.  I would have kept HD558, but I would often want to reach for my K701 instead of 558.
558 also has darker treble versus the bright Beyers, by the way.  It can also make vocals sound more believable to a degree than what Beyers can muster, a special quality that few headphones share (most of them being the open-back audiophiliac Sennheiser sets, haha).

Edit: On a separate note, I think I found the culprit behind DT990's balance: that stupid plastic bridge going across each grill on the back of the cups and has "DT 990 Pro 250 ohm" on it.  Oh good grief.
Edit2: Even the Premium version has that awful sound I don't like, but the 600-ohm version sounds so damn good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back