DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jan 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #271 of 1,091
Has anyone compared tube and solid state amps with these headphones? I am still not 100% satisfied with the sound. I'm using a Magni and  I have read that the DT990 sound too mechanical with solid state amps. Is the difference worth trying to return/sell the Magni and buying a tube amp? Too mechanical is exactly how I would describe the sound.

I had a LDIII (upgraded bottles) and I own the pros. I said, "had," because I sold it. Why? I bought much better sounding solid state amplifiers.

Jan 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #273 of 1,091
which amps did you buy? also what changed in the sound going from the tubes to more expensive solid states?

I was trying to say that tube/ss is irrelevant in itself. It's the implementation that counts. There are great tube amps and there are mediocre tube amps. Same goes for solid state. An all-encompassing answer doesn't exist.

My gear is in my profile.

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #274 of 1,091
  I loved these headphones for their sound, yes they are bright which some people don't like but for me there's no issue with their openness. The bass can be too much for some and it is a bit thick but again for me that means there's never a lack of bass. Lovely wide soundstage and even with a slightly warm amp it makes the headphone sound so much better - I'd love to try any 990 variant with a Little Dot MK III - someday they will be mine! For me though the mids are the best part, they are recessed sounding compared to the bass and treble but this can work in it's favor if not for all kinds of music (show me 1 headphone that suits all genres perfectly anyway) but the mids themselves are relaxed yet very detailed. These are without question the best headphones for movies and immersion gaming for the money in my opinion and it's a no brainer for those purposes. And you'll be well catered for if you listen to music which features significant low end.

My only criticism of the DT 990 Pro is that they don't seem to stand up well to constant daily use. However this may not be true of the Premium versions. 

I owned mine for nearly 7 years.Dropped em about 1000 times I reckon as the coiled cable loved to wrap around my desk chair and every time I went back to sit in it,the phones would crash to the floor.

That happened about  3 times a week I reckon and they lasted nearly 7 years.
For comfort and build quality,I can't find one better.

Getting another set ASAP.

Got withdrawal symptoms without em.
beyersmile.png

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #275 of 1,091
Which version would be better with a portable setup while running my jds labs c5 amp? Would the 250 ohm version work ok? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:23 PM Post #276 of 1,091
32 Ohms doesn't need an amp, 250 Ohms will provably run fine off your C5 but 600 ohms is probably too much.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #277 of 1,091
HI Razor, thanks for the advice.  This looks like a pretty good deal  http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1390672080&sr=1-1&keywords=beyer+dt990

I may have to pull the trigger...thanks again.

Steve

Jan 25, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #278 of 1,091
No problem. That seller seems legit and they're fulfilled byAmazon, I'd go for them. Hope you enjoy them, they're a great can.

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #279 of 1,091
No problem. That seller seems legit and they're fulfilled byAmazon, I'd go for them. Hope you enjoy them, they're a great can.

HI Razor, thanks for the advice.  This looks like a pretty good deal  http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DT-990-Pro-250-Professional-Acoustically-Applications/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1390672080&sr=1-1&keywords=beyer+dt990

I may have to pull the trigger...thanks again.

Steve

That's where I got mine. I'd actually have paid the extra $80 for the premium if I wasn't so cheap,...

Jan 25, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #280 of 1,091
I
That's where I got mine. I'd actually have paid the extra $80 for the premium if I wasn't so cheap,...

Are the premium's worth the extra $ ? What is the major difference?

Steve

Jan 25, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #281 of 1,091
They look different(better or worse is up to you), and they have less clamping force. This means less bass, and more soundstage, but I've never heard the difference between the two personally. I don't imagine it's easily discernible. Basically, unless you REALLY hate the looks of the Pro, dodge the Premiums and save some cash.

Jan 26, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #282 of 1,091
http://headwize.com/?page_id=699

Good article on them if you reckon the treble is too overbearing.

I don't.

Like em as they are.

They have a rise in treble but the thing is the treble is good treble.
They are quite shrill the first time you listen to them but after the cones wear in,they mellow out more.

I'm using the Original Master headphone amp with mine and they sound great to me out of a Soundcraft Compact 4 mixing desk into the Emu 1212m soundcard.

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #283 of 1,091
Hi guys new person here, just wondering if anybody had durability issues w/ the 990 pros cable. I really do not like unremoveable cables because im afraid they will tug out eventually due to wear and tear. Headsets like the PC360 often scare me away just because of the cable. The 990 pros sound like they have everything i could want in a headphone except for the cable, so if someone could honestly tell me how their 990's cable is doing, how old it is and the stress it goes thru, it would put my mind at ease. Wish the 990s had a removeable cable like the HD558/598.Thnks

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #284 of 1,091
I've had then for about 9 months with no problems, but I haven't run over them with an office chair or anything like that. The cable is the least durable bit, but as long as you don't beat it up too bad it'll last for a few years. When it does break, they seem really easy to recable, or you could even contact Beyer and see what they can do for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back