DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #256 of 1,091
Something strange has occured for me regarding the comfort. I don't know why, but they don't seem to be as comfortable as they were out of the box?

Is it cause my hair has grown a little bit longer or is it loss of clamp? Ear pads squishing in? I don't know.
confused.gif

I'm tempting to try switching out the pads though for something a bit thicker to bring back the clamp,... Thoughts?

Interesting... well, not sure what is going on there. You could stretch them by putting them over a box, etc. overnight. It does feel like there could have been just a little more clamping at the bottom of the earcups so they fit more flush against my head. But with the pads there seems to be sufficient cushion that the seal is still good.
I guess there is enough variance in ears and skulls (and hair?) that has to be allowed for. Mine have some time on them so maybe I am not making a fair assessment with regards to pad thickness changes over time.

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #257 of 1,091
Something strange has occured for me regarding the comfort. I don't know why, but they don't seem to be as comfortable as they were out of the box?

Is it cause my hair has grown a little bit longer or is it loss of clamp? Ear pads squishing in? I don't know. :confused:

I'm tempting to try switching out the pads though for something a bit thicker to bring back the clamp,... Thoughts?

Pro version or Premium?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #258 of 1,091
P.S. - I went from the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm to the Senheiser HD598 then to the DT990 Premium 32-Ohm and my choice is totally the Premium 32-Ohm. I am in love. I'm kind of a bass head and I love intense highs. These headphones were made for me. The mids are not recessed its more with these headphones you are probably wanting to enjoy the bass more because it is there, but if you listen for certain sounds they are there. I did a side by side comparison of the DT 990 premiums vs the HD598 and if you listen to the HD598 after the DT990 you go right back to the DT990 the mids seem way to lush on the HD598 (sounds weird I know) it is a very neutral headphone with little bass (some impact but virtually no lows). Just a quick review from a first time Mid-Fi audio owner. (Comparison was using ALC889 and HTR-6130 Receiver). Will post a big comparison with noob info for the new guys coming in and it will make sense!

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #259 of 1,091
These headphones were made for movie lovers and gamers imo. For those purposes it's surely a gargantuan task to top these at the price....If you like some bass and clarity in your music with detailed vocals these are a brilliant option!

I've applied an EQ on my music player for these headphones with a pretty big reduction at 6 khz (I'd say about 8 decibels maybe) and it works really well for me - takes away a lot of the harsh 'ring' sounds that you get on music and seems to bring out some warmth as well, taking out harsher sibilance whilst leaving in natural sibilance so 'S' words don't sound artificially muted. The result is it sounds very natural. Try it and see what you think. 

Left untouched 'vanilla' for everything else as already sounds spot on for other applications.

Jan 17, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #260 of 1,091
  These headphones were made for movie lovers and gamers imo. For those purposes it's surely a gargantuan task to top these at the price....If you like some bass and clarity in your music with detailed vocals these are a brilliant option!

I've applied an EQ on my music player for these headphones with a pretty big reduction at 6 khz (I'd say about 8 decibels maybe) and it works really well for me - takes away a lot of the harsh 'ring' sounds that you get on music and seems to bring out some warmth as well, taking out harsher sibilance whilst leaving in natural sibilance so 'S' words don't sound artificially muted. The result is it sounds very natural. Try it and see what you think. 

Left untouched 'vanilla' for everything else as already sounds spot on for other applications.

Sounds way too dull to me if I modify the EQ on anypart of the upper end. 

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #264 of 1,091
My HTR 6130 coming from Alc889 chip. I mean I love how clear and loud the highs are doesn't bother my ears at all.

I asked, because the pros don't sound overly bright to me, either. Not hardly. They did sound rather strident being fed from my laptop, when I gave that a shot. A decent amplifier, however, makes all the difference.

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #265 of 1,091
My HTR 6130 coming from Alc889 chip. I mean I love how clear and loud the highs are doesn't bother my ears at all.

I asked, because the pros don't sound overly bright to me, either. Not hardly. They did sound rather strident being fed from my laptop, when I gave that a shot. A decent amplifier, however, makes all the difference.
I'm actually using the premium 32 ohms lol

Jan 18, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #266 of 1,091
I personally find the highs fine as well on my DT990 Pro 250, out of my E11 or X-Fi HD USB DAC and Amp. Also, I have a Bravo Audio V2 tube amp on its way, can't wait :D

Jan 19, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #267 of 1,091
I personally find the highs fine as well on my DT990 Pro 250, out of my E11 or X-Fi HD USB DAC and Amp. Also, I have a Bravo Audio V2 tube amp on its way, can't wait
biggrin.gif

Well I doubt it has anything to do with my SBZ. I'm pretty sure it's just a difference between my ears and yours. I don't listen to music very much unless I'm in the car and I don't go to concerts. All my sound has been at low levels with low frequency range and ohm headsets on realtek onboard mobo chips.

Maybe my ears aren't as "trained"(ruined).

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #268 of 1,091
Maybe, it might be music format, the output impedance of your SBZ or maybe your ears. Who knows?

Jan 20, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #269 of 1,091
Has anyone compared tube and solid state amps with these headphones? I am still not 100% satisfied with the sound. I'm using a Magni and  I have read that the DT990 sound too mechanical with solid state amps. Is the difference worth trying to return/sell the Magni and buying a tube amp? Too mechanical is exactly how I would describe the sound.

Jan 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #270 of 1,091
  Has anyone compared tube and solid state amps with these headphones? I am still not 100% satisfied with the sound. I'm using a Magni and  I have read that the DT990 sound too mechanical with solid state amps. Is the difference worth trying to return/sell the Magni and buying a tube amp? Too mechanical is exactly how I would describe the sound.

The O2 is apparently the cheapest neutral amp perhaps you could try one of those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back