DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jan 12, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #241 of 1,091
 So I had problems with my 250-Ohm DT990 sent them back. Picked up a pair of Senheiser HD598 and even though I had a rattle in my DT990's I actually prefer them! I found a deal on some 32-OHM Premium DT990's for $169 so I decided to pick them up since I don't have an amp besides my receiver. Will post how I feel they compare to the HD598 and the 250-Ohm version (Un-Amped straight out of the ALC-889 chipset on my motherboard).

Most receivers are better with the 600 Ohm version. They have plenty of power. But if you're also planning to use them with your computer then you made the right choice.

Doesn't sound as good to me. It's the HTR-6130

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Jan 12, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #243 of 1,091
Even though I know there's no difference between the premium and Pro except price, I'm still tempted to get a pair at some point.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #244 of 1,091
Even though I know there's no difference between the premium and Pro except price, I'm still tempted to get a pair at some point.

Build quality and reports of a slightly better sound(same signature) probably from those who can "hear" $100 and $10 cable differences suggest otherwise.

But honestly, why? Vanity? They aren't that pretty, but you could chrome them out if you don't think there is a difference in quality.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #245 of 1,091
I thought they had less clamp, maybe less bass and more soundstage? That doesn't really bother me, the looks of the Pro are a bit retro(to put it lightly). I suppose now you mention it there's no reason to get them, other than the Pros don't look as good.

Jan 13, 2014 at 12:37 PM Post #247 of 1,091
Might see if I can get a pair of broken Premiums and swap the cups. Job done. 32 Ohms would be nice, but I don't use them without an amp anyway.

Jan 14, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #250 of 1,091
I'm tempted to visually mod them in some way but I'll wait until my warranty is up and I have the courage to do it.

Jan 14, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #251 of 1,091
I'm tempted to visually mod them in some way but I'll wait until my warranty is up and I have the courage to do it.

Do you think if you painted them they would sound different? What about closed cans?

I think I could use a white laundry pen and make these look pretty darn nice,... but what if I get ink/paint on the cloth in-between the grill?

For that matter, what if I used something like scotch-guard on the cloth between grill? Would it reduce the sound leakage and/or change the sound signature?

"Hmmm. Hmmm." - Siegmeyer of Catarina voice

Jan 14, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #252 of 1,091
Unless you got paint on the cloth behind the grilles, or SO !much paint on the grilles that it gets in the gaps between them, I doubt it would affect sound quality. The problem I have is that the Pros seem to me to have the cups in one piece of plastic, whereas the premiums have rings and grilles in separate pieces.

Jan 15, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #253 of 1,091
I recently got these and they are fantastic, very good sound and clarity. Been hearing things in my music that I hadn't noticed before. Very happy with my purchase :)

Jan 16, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #254 of 1,091
I just received a used pair from a reputable merchant. I am very pleased overall. I previously had a pair of ATH-AD700 which have been highly regarded. I have to say the 990s out do them on clarity (not by a huge margin) and depth. Soundstage is incredible! Like limitless. So far I have not experienced excessively bright highs, but maybe I have not hit upon anything yet that would show it up, and have not worn them long enough to evaluate the fatigue factor.

I find the bass close to perfect. It is not there when I don't expect to hear it, but when I do, it is full and very natural. I can see where the mids can be somewhat reserved, but vocals are excellent and seem  to overshadow any deficiency in that area.

Being 'used' these have been 'broken-in' already. They are very smooth sounding overall. My FiiO X3 can easily drive them even at the low gain setting, but the high setting is definitely the way to go against 250 ohms with the X3.

I can see I will continue to use these for some time to come

Jan 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #255 of 1,091
Something strange has occured for me regarding the comfort. I don't know why, but they don't seem to be as comfortable as they were out of the box?

Is it cause my hair has grown a little bit longer or is it loss of clamp? Ear pads squishing in? I don't know. :confused:

I'm tempting to try switching out the pads though for something a bit thicker to bring back the clamp,... Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back