DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jan 7, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #226 of 1,091
The extra clamp also adds some bass which may be favourable to some people. It also tightens the soundstage, but I'm not prepared to pay £100 for less bass which I don't want and a little extra soundtsage.

Especially if the 990s have great bass to start with. I guess no one thing has every thing, compromise is the way of life, we just try to reduce it as much as possible.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #230 of 1,091
Because they are built like titanium tanks.

And that's probably a good thing! I was checking this one out:

http://headwize.com/?page_id=699

I would not try to incorporate it into the headphones but use it as an inline mod using a small box with 3.5mm jacks. Maybe even add a bypass switch for comparison. It would only be a few bucks to try it.

Jan 9, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #231 of 1,091
I've had the DT-990 pro 250 and SBZ shielded version for a week and I think they sound great together. As far as power is concerned, I can't go up much past 50% which I think would be expected since that card can supposedly handle 600ohm headphones.

The crystalizer of the SBZ pro-studio software works pretty good with the DT-990 for games really brings out its theatrical sound signature. I haven't been able to master the surround functions as it's accuracy most likely drops having crystalizer enabled. I also enable the bass boost for gaming at 45% and a 50hz frequency For some reason at 10hz I don't hear or feel anything extra,... I think it's because the way the bass boost changes the level of the midrange.

The EQ works good too. I drop the two highest frequencies by -5db and -7db to keep the treble "harshness" down at least until I adapt. These headphones have a lot of texture at high frequencies I don't think I am used to hearing. With a 5-35khz frequency response, they sound very harsh to a guy coming from a top end of 25khz.

For music and everything else, I turn off the prostudio and only utilize the EQ. My only real problem is the sound leakage, esp the treble,... but for me it's only been a problem with music.

Overall, I would definately recomomend this pairing especially for gaming.

Though I have very, very limited experience, this pairing is IMO the lowest acceptable budget level for audiophile gaming at $150 for the DT-990 Pro 250 and $70 for the SBZ. I tried spending under $100, Gemini HSR-100 and Asus Xonar DG, and was massively disappointed. Not because they sounded terrible, but because it wasn't what I imagined audiophile quality to be.

Cheers.

Jan 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #232 of 1,091
I've had the DT-990 pro 250 and SBZ shielded version for a week and I think they sound great together. As far as power is concerned, I can't go up much past 50% which I think would be expected since that card can supposedly handle 600ohm headphones.

The crystalizer of the SBZ pro-studio software works pretty good with the DT-990 for games really brings out its theatrical sound signature. I haven't been able to master the surround functions as it's accuracy most likely drops having crystalizer enabled. I also enable the bass boost for gaming at 45% and a 50hz frequency For some reason at 10hz I don't hear or feel anything extra,... I think it's because the way the bass boost changes the level of the midrange.

The EQ works good too. I drop the two highest frequencies by -5db and -7db to keep the treble "harshness" down at least until I adapt. These headphones have a lot of texture at high frequencies I don't think I am used to hearing. With a 5-35khz frequency response, they sound very harsh to a guy coming from a top end of 25khz.

For music and everything else, I turn off the prostudio and only utilize the EQ. My only real problem is the sound leakage, esp the treble,... but for me it's only been a problem with music.

Overall, I would definately recomomend this pairing especially for gaming.

Though I have very, very limited experience, this pairing is IMO the lowest acceptable budget level for audiophile gaming at $150 for the DT-990 Pro 250 and $70 for the SBZ. I tried spending under $100, Gemini HSR-100 and Asus Xonar DG, and was massively disappointed. Not because they sounded terrible, but because it wasn't what I imagined audiophile quality to be.

Cheers.

Thanks for the write up on that pairing. I might look elsewhere because i think the excess treble might be an issue for me, but they seem very attractive as headphones for gaming.

Jan 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #233 of 1,091
Buy them for gaming and see what you think of the sound.

Jan 10, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #234 of 1,091
Thanks for the write up on that pairing. I might look elsewhere because i think the excess treble might be an issue for me, but they seem very attractive as headphones for gaming.

If you are totally against having to EQ them down until you adjust, I'd be interested in the DT-770 Pro or the DT-880 if I were you. The treble texture on the DT-990 is really worth a listen though. For gaming, the comfort level is just insane and they are mostly fun. There is a thread with the sonic differences on this forum if you are interested. I also recommend checking MadLustEnvy's Gaming Guide if you haven't yet, though he is a console gamer,...

If you'd have to spend over $100 on the SBZ, I'd pass and go high end Asus instead cause I liked their software UI better. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $75 for the shielded SBZ as IMO it should be concidered the lowest acceptable "audiophile" gaming solution via sound card.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:48 AM Post #235 of 1,091
Really worth noting though, if you are gaming and have a noisy computer, you'll hear that noise all the time, it all goes through. Personally I recently switched all my fans in the computercase to new Noctua ones in an attempt to try to reduce noise level from the computer :p.

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #236 of 1,091
Really worth noting though, if you are gaming and have a noisy computer, you'll hear that noise all the time, it all goes through. Personally I recently switched all my fans in the computercase to new Noctua ones in an attempt to try to reduce noise level from the computer
tongue.gif

I'm ordering a Corsair H80 to replace the awful AMD stock cpu cooler. That should reduce noise a bunch

Jan 11, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #238 of 1,091
Oh gosh, the stock coolers are horrible things. I have a massive NH-D14 1kg+ cooler, but the closed-loop water coolers have really improved in the last years, not sure how the stock fans are on the H80 though

I have the H100 and they sound fine to me. You can look up the dB rating on Corsair's website to make sure they are going to work for you.

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #239 of 1,091
So I had problems with my 250-Ohm DT990 sent them back. Picked up a pair of Senheiser HD598 and even though I had a rattle in my DT990's I actually prefer them! I found a deal on some 32-OHM Premium DT990's for $169 so I decided to pick them up since I don't have an amp besides my receiver. Will post how I feel they compare to the HD598 and the 250-Ohm version (Un-Amped straight out of the ALC-889 chipset on my motherboard).

Jan 12, 2014 at 3:52 PM Post #240 of 1,091
  So I had problems with my 250-Ohm DT990 sent them back. Picked up a pair of Senheiser HD598 and even though I had a rattle in my DT990's I actually prefer them! I found a deal on some 32-OHM Premium DT990's for $169 so I decided to pick them up since I don't have an amp besides my receiver. Will post how I feel they compare to the HD598 and the 250-Ohm version (Un-Amped straight out of the ALC-889 chipset on my motherboard).

Most receivers are better with the 600 Ohm version. They have plenty of power. But if you're also planning to use them with your computer then you made the right choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back