DT990 Pro Impressions Thread
Jul 14, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #736 of 1,091
  I really want to love this headphone. I really like the clarity and details of this headphone, and I do not mind the treble (I have the 600 ohm version), but there is one issue. I listen to a lot of vocal music (mostly Japanese indy, rocks, jazz and folk), and I would have to turn up the volume to the point that the instrumental become too loud before the vocal is in an acceptable range. 

Have you tried EQ'ing the mids up?  (Or the bass and/or treble down.)  I can live with leaving the highs alone, but the bass can easily overpower everything else if I don't turn it down a few db.  Even EQ'd down a few db, it's still really strong.  In fact, it makes me laugh thinking about it...

Person 1: "The DT990 is amazing!  It's one of the few open cans that has big bass!"
Person 2: "Yeah.  It's amazing how it has so much bass."  (EQs down the excessive bass)

Pop the mids up in the 500k to 2k area, and see how that goes.     

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:28 AM Post #737 of 1,091
  Have you tried EQ'ing the mids up?  (Or the bass and/or treble down.)  I can live with leaving the highs alone, but the bass can easily overpower everything else if I don't turn it down a few db.  Even EQ'd down a few db, it's still really strong.  In fact, it makes me laugh thinking about it...

Person 1: "The DT990 is amazing!  It's one of the few open cans that has big bass!"
Person 2: "Yeah.  It's amazing how it has so much bass."  (EQs down the excessive bass)

Pop the mids up in the 500k to 2k area, and see how that goes.     

Hmm, no I really never use EQ for music listening. I got told when I was young over and over that EQ would ruin the source. I do use PEQ for movie on my home theater though. Maybe I will try it. Isn't 2k pretty much in the treble range already though?

Re the bass. Whoever say this has too much bass probably never try AudioTechnica A900X! It is a closed cans though. I found the DT900 bass a good match to its treble. I wish it has a little more bass extension though. The A900X has an insane amount of bass extension.

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #738 of 1,091

Hmm, no I really never use EQ for music listening. I got told when I was young over and over that EQ would ruin the source. I do use PEQ for movie on my home theater though. Maybe I will try it. Isn't 2k pretty much in the treble range already though?

I think the DT990 is great.  I'd think it is less great if I didn't eq down the bass and treble to increase the mids.  Fortunately, it's one of those headphones that doesn't seem to mind being eq'd however you want.  

Increasing the 2k zone can usually increase the "shouting" of vocals and help fill out the mids area.  Try it and see.  You can try increasing the highs too, but the highs are already strong on the DT990, especially the 8k spike.  Play around with the eq and see what you like.  

If eq'ing doesn't help enough, you might be forced to just use a different headphone, most likely one with a smaller soundstage.  I like the DT990 overall for everything, but, really, for lots of music, a smaller soundstage such as HD580 or Brainwavz HM3 can be more in-my-face fun.  ...Am I really comparing a little pair of Brainwavz HM3 to DT990 and Sennheiser HD580?  For rocking out to music, yes.

Jul 14, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #739 of 1,091
little dot amps work good with dt990, i have fiio e10k + fiio e12 combo. Sounds quit good for me, some pop recordings sound sibilant to mee, but i found that darker recordings sound realy great with dt990! Most enjoyable dt990 is at lower wolumes, i always was listening much louder with other headphones, but dt990 also sound crisp and detailed at low wolumes!

I haven't got the tube amp and I found out schiit lyr, have any idea with this amp?

Jul 14, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #741 of 1,091
And another question, if buying littledot mk4, do I need to purchase extra dac? If yes, audioengine d1 dac is a good choice? Or schiit bifrost? Or back to littledot dac 1? Thank you guys :)

FWIW, I had a LDIII and it made for a less than optimal combination with DT990, regardless of tubes. A Darkvoice 336SE sounds much better with the cans. Yes, you will need a DAC. I'd suggest an AQ Dragonfly. Good luck.

Jul 21, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #742 of 1,091
Don't know whether its just me or are the ear pads on the DT990s not the same as they used to be. On my newish pair they seem thinner and seem to be collapse on the bottom edge after little use due to the clamping force when stored.

The old ones on a previous pair I had seemed plumper. They're no more than 18mm or 3/4" thick at best.

Jul 21, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #744 of 1,091
  How difficult is it to change the pads on one of these? My 990's are a couple years old and the pads are starting to smush a bit.

They have a small lip that slides over the ends.  Very easy.  Just be a little careful since the lip that slides over is a kind of plastic that maybe could crack and split if bent too far.  That's mainly just a concern for when putting them back on though if you have to stretch them out.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #745 of 1,091
Aug 7, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #746 of 1,091
Aug 7, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #747 of 1,091
Looks really nice. I just hope they're not the same black pads sold as stock replacements. They truly sound poor with the DT990s. Hopefully, Beyer tuned the HPs for these pads.

Probably are which might be a problem, I agree they sound different to the grey pads. They work well with DT440 & 860 where's the grey pads actually sound dull on those. From that I would expect the black pads to be too bright on the 990?

Aug 7, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #748 of 1,091
Probably are which might be a problem, I agree they sound different to the grey pads. They work well with DT440 & 860 where's the grey pads actually sound dull on those. From that I would expect the black pads to be too bright on the 990?

Yes, and a noticeably diminished low-end. I've tried a good number of Beyer pads. Hard to beat the stock ones. I'm talking about DT990 and DT880 specifically.

Aug 7, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #749 of 1,091
i've been using these for a few months now, tried everything i could think of to make them more comfortable but they end up giving me a headache and/or hurting my ears after two+ hours wearing them. my A700s used to hurt my ears as well but it would take much longer for them to, and they never caused me any other kind of pain. i really love how these sound and desperately want to know if there's anything i can do to fix or lessen these issues.

Aug 8, 2015 at 12:29 AM Post #750 of 1,091
which of the dt would be better for 1. gaming on the pc 2. movie watching on the pc 3. music listening on the go with iphone?
a. dt 990
b. dt 880
c. dt 770

and at which impedance ?

what kind of amp should i get for the iphone and what kind of amp should i get for my computer? or will they run fine without?

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back