DT990 owners past and present...
Jun 4, 2006 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

jriems

100+ Head-Fier
If you've ever owned a pair of DT990's - old versions, recent, or pro - do you still own them, or have you moved on to something better?

If you've moved on, what did you trade-in your 990's for, and why?

Jun 4, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 48
Sold em (dt 990 pro)...recessed mids and a top end that was a little too sparkly led me to that action. Loved the velour pads and bass though.

Went to grados and liked em but developed grado fatigue. Picked up senn 595s and akg 501s and I am really digging the 501s. I have my 501s with 701 velour pads...yes all becuase I fell in love with velour from the dt 990 experience.

Jun 4, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 48
I own the DT990s for about 6 months now and yet I didn't move on to another headphone because the DT990s deliver exactly that sound that I love. I tried several different headphones in the past but I never got what the DT990s gave me and what they still give me.
Of course- they maybe lack details or high end sound quality compared to a K701 or something like this- but no I won't give the K701 a go anyway because the sound is simply not what I want.
Anyway- when the Shure E500 will be released in the next weeks I'm probably going to get a pair of these as well because they are simply fascinating to me and because the DT990 aren't realy a good choice for portable use
rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't ever sell my DT990 though and I will keep them for sure.

Dake

Jun 4, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 48
I used to own a DT990 pro. The bass and clarity of the top end are just perfect for me. Although they are not the most refined, they are by far the most 'fun' headphones I've ever owned--more 'fun' than Grado SR225, SR325, and MS1.

I'm planning to buy them back this coming July and pair them with a more proper amp.

Jun 4, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 48
When I got my DT990 Pro and put them on my LD2, I hit that "this is my sound" moment. I'm sure I'll be able to find something I like better through tons of trial and error and way too much money spent, but I dont want to. I love the sound and feel absolutley no need to upgrade. Now I'm just getting my portable rig nailed down, and then.... I'm done?

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #7 of 48
Well I have both the 990Pro (2003) and the 990 (2006) models, the later just acquired.

The 990 is generally for those who must have bass. I initially bought the Pros when I just wanted something to use while the wife was sleeping. They do a decent job and didn't cost too much then, fairly good resolution, good bass, quite balanced sound.

The new 990 is an upgraded phone, much better refinement, higher resolution, and still with the deep bass. A much better all-round can overall. I could listen to this for hours and not get tired.

Having said that, the most involving can that I have and prefer is the AT W100 after changing the pads to leather.

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 48
Anybody own both a 770 and a 990? I love the Beyer sound, but figured it's be redundant to have both at once and I am not going to part with my 770s any time soon. My impressions have been that the 770 and the 990 share the same signature: plenty of bass / slightly recessed mids / bright-ish highs (though the high end on stock 770s never bothered me). I read a post about the 2006 880s being an improvement on the older version. Any such improvement on the 2006 990s?

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:59 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXhalberstramXX
well, glac1er, if you want your 990s back, you can pry them out of my cold dead fingers!!

biggrin.gif
Guess I won't ask you for the DT990 then. Enjoy the cans.

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmk
Well I have both the 990Pro (2003) and the 990 (2006) models, the later just acquired.

Have you burned the new ones in yet? I found that my pre-2006 770s sounded much better after a good hardy burn in session, so maybe your new 990s will undergo some similar changes...?

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 48
I liked my pair (pre-2006 990 Pro's) just fine with a Go-Vibe, but when I got my HA-1 MKII and PPA, they started to seem a bit bright and not full enough in the mids. I loved their comfort though, and they really are built like tanks. I started needing a good set of closed cans for home use though, so I traded the 990's.

I've since gone back to a pair of HD25-1's and some HD580's, both of which sound great with the HA-1. I sold the PPA to finance a new neck for a guitar project I'm doing this summer. Strangely enough, I preferred the sound of the HA-1 over the PPA, probably because the PPA is super-revealing of a mediocre source (which I unluckily have plenty of!)

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:22 AM Post #14 of 48
I have the 250 ohm and older 600 ohm versions, but both get very little use now. They sound okay and are very comfortable, but have been surpassed by other headphones, principally the Senn 650s for serious listening or Grado 225s for pop music. When I do use them it is mostly for games or DVDs, after picking them up at random out of the surplus headphone drawer (which includes some Grado 325s, Senn 580s, and a few others).

Jun 5, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmk

The 990 is generally for those who must have bass. I initially bought the Pros when I just wanted something to use while the wife was sleeping. They do a decent job and didn't cost too much then, fairly good resolution, good bass, quite balanced sound.

The new 990 is an upgraded phone, much better refinement, higher resolution, and still with the deep bass. A much better all-round can overall. I could listen to this for hours and not get tired.

Having said that, the most involving can that I have and prefer is the AT W100 after changing the pads to leather.

I thought the 990s were open? If they are, is the noise leakage minimal? Could I use them on an airplane and not bother the person sitting next to me?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back