DT990 owners past and present...
Jun 6, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmk
I did a review of the DT990 here, comparing it with the DT880. I'm currently listening to the 770/32ohm, but haven't compared these 2 yet. Is your preference closed/open?

Cmk, do you have pics of your new DT990's? I'm confused as to which version is "new". At Beyerdynamic-USA's website, they show a DT990 2005 edition, and a DT990 Pro edition. I assume neither is the version you own, correct?

Any good links to the "new" version(s)?

Jun 6, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jriems
Cmk, do you have pics of your new DT990's? I'm confused as to which version is "new". At Beyerdynamic-USA's website, they show a DT990 2005 edition, and a DT990 Pro edition. I assume neither is the version you own, correct?

You can see the new DT990 at Dr Jan's site, Meier-Audio

dt990bw.jpg

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by jriems

I think they released the "new" in the US earlier than in Asia. We only got these in 2006. I actually own both the 990Pro(modified) and the 990(06 model).

Jun 6, 2006 at 1:14 PM Post #35 of 48
CMK, thanks for that link to your review, very interesting.

I have uses for both open and closed headphones. I need closed for the home rig, and open for the office rig. So the DT990's would be something I would use in the office. Right now I use either a pair of open/screened DT770-based Headphile Darth Beyers, or my Headphile "Darth" Grado HF-1's. I am pretty happy with both, but hey, I am a headphone junkie! I could always use another pair
orphsmile.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #36 of 48
I have the DT 990/250 Pro's and I like them a lot. They are very sturdy and well made. I usually prefer to listen to my HD 595 but the DT 990 are still great.

Jun 6, 2006 at 2:50 PM Post #37 of 48
My DT990s (#599793) just arrived! I got them for slightly less than 50$ shipped.
The box has the Beyer 50 years anniversary sticker and states "a quality product made in W. Germany"... if only for the nostalgic value, I'm glad to own this pre-unification relic.
What surprised me is that those Ur-Beyers actually sounds pretty good... not as good as my 2003 DT880s obviously but more forgiving and there's enough contrast (soundstage for example) to make it a nice companion phone, especially for stuff like punk. I didn't listen to my HD555s for months but from what I remember, the Ur-Beyers are similar but better.
The comfort sucks though... I could try modding the old pads but I think I'll wait and post a real comparison between my 880s and 990s when I get the new grey pads I ordered. I'll try fitting some foam in there in the meantime.

Jun 6, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiGHFLYiN9
Do you feel that the newer version 990 is different enough to warrant having both?

Well, the newer is a significant improvement over the old, its a more refined can, competing with the HD650 and the K701. They give a very balanced full soundstage and there's no fatigue listening to them.

The older one I keep to watch the tele in the bedroom. Its good enough and has quite a bit of bass boost to give the TV output a real surround effect, great with action movies, you know, the wham, bang, kaboom type.

So yes, its good to have another 990 around the house.

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:40 PM Post #40 of 48
I still own a pair of circa 1993 Beyer 990s (600 ohms), and they remain my only pair of full size phones. They've been in for repair once, but have otherwise held up nicely. I recently changed from the old style earpads to the newer style, and think that the sound changed significantly - and not entirely to my liking. They seem much brighter than when the transducers were closer to my ears. The older pads were really shot, and had no loft left in them at all - so I haven't considered going back to them. But I probably should try swapping them back in and see if my impressions change.

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:52 PM Post #41 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by duetta
I still own a pair of circa 1993 Beyer 990s (600 ohms), and they remain my only pair of full size phones. They've been in for repair once, but have otherwise held up nicely. I recently changed from the old style earpads to the newer style, and think that the sound changed significantly - and not entirely to my liking. They seem much brighter than when the transducers were closer to my ears. The older pads were really shot, and had no loft left in them at all - so I haven't considered going back to them. But I probably should try swapping them back in and see if my impressions change.

I know exactly what you experienced. I have been there too.
To change that you have some options.

1. you could place a thin foam pad in front of the driver, that will calm down the highs a little and add a little mids. I've done it before using the foam pads from my Sennheiser HD600.

2. Recable.
I have 2 Beyerdynamic DT990 (600 ohm version). One with stock cable the other with a 20 ga solid core copper wire. The difference between both headphones is like day and night.

The "regular" DT990 sound very analytical, spacious, lots of detail, but lean in the mids and bass, top always a little hot.

The "solid core" DT990 sound MUCH MUCH fuller and warmer, better bass and much no more hot treble.

I am now considering to recable the "regular" DT990 with van den Hul D502, since I have build myself some ICs with that wire and I liked what it did to the sound. I think th DT990 - 600 ohmer could benefit from that cable as well.

Jun 6, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by duetta

I can relate to your tale, duetta. I just got the new pads a week ago, and the sound signature definitely changed in exactly the way you describe. Of course, I was used to the worn-out pads and the drivers practically touching my ears. With the new pads, the base isn't as prevalent, and the highs seem more strident. If I press in on the cans and compress the pads about 1/8", the sound is more pleasing, but the sound stage diminishes a bit - that's one thing that definitely improved with the new pads.

Hopefully, these new pads will get broken in a bit and that old sound signature will return. Or, I'll just get used to the new sig.
basshead.gif

EDIT: I'm actually not sure what ohm version my cans are. Is there any way to tell? I got them in the late '80s.

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #43 of 48
The 300 or was it 250 ohm version have a metal thing to hold the drivers cups.

The 600 ohm one has plastic holders.

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt. Z
The 300 or was it 250 ohm version have a metal thing to hold the drivers cups.

The 600 ohm one has plastic holders.

Thank you for the info. Mine definitely have plastic hardware attaching the cups to the headband, so I must have the 600 ohm version.

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #45 of 48
You also can meassure the resistance with a volt meter very easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back