dt990 DACs and amps and tubes and usb and omg brain melt
Jul 28, 2014 at 9:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Sidalol

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

After much research and pondering I've finally decided to get a Beyerdynamic dt900. At this point I'm not too fussed between the pro/premium and 250/600ohm versions. What I'm really having trouble with now is finding an amp and stuff for it. I know I need an amp but I have no idea which one, apparently tubes are better? But I'd rather not have to build it myself, I'd like something that just plain works well with these headphones. Also do I need a DAC?

I'll be using the headset on:
   - A Computer with a Maximus V Formula motherboard (the sound chip is supposed to be pretty good on that)
   - A laptop
   - A blu-ray player

What devices will I need to be able to run these headphones well on all 3? Is there any difference between running them on the pc/laptop/computer? I saw some are USB, does that mean they won't work for the blu-ray player?

If anyone could recommend me an ideal setup for the headphones that will work for all 3 devices and preferable no more than £150 I'd be very grateful. I don't think I want anything that changes the sound too much as the descriptions for the dt990 already sound great, just something that will let it perform to its potential. If anything maybe a slight performance boost on the bass. I can raise the price a little if really required. Also I'm from the UK if that matters.

Thank you!

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 18
Hello! A DAC is always nice when compared to standard-issue mobo sound - I think exceptions to that are fairly few and far between.

It's not likely practical to think of using one DAC with all sources however, but the computers will be fine.

Look at a Fiio E07K or consider spending a few more pennies for the Fiio E17 - both are amps and DACs, so quite versatile.

I'd say the DT990 (is this what you meant above?) 250 ohm version would be better just due to the nature of the amps which are likely to be powering your equipment. Get the headphones first, then save a bit longer for a decent DAC/amp combo.

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 18
My friend has the DT990 Pro, and even that sounds fantastic. I haven't heard the premiums, some people say it sounds better but even if you get the cheapest option it's still a great set of cans. I'd say 250 Ω is probably best, a computer *can* drive them but it won't sound ideal. I would say that you're probably out of luck for the blu-ray player, USB is the input for most DACs, and definitely for anything near your price range. You would be able to use an amp with it (both Fiios mentioned by SteveHiFi can take 3.5mm as an input, but I don't believe it acts as a DAC in this case, just an amp). Really for the BR player, you'd be better off just using a blu-ray drive with your laptop plugged into your TV or monitor. Hope this helps!

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 18
Thanks for the replies! Apologies, when I said I'd spent up to £150 I meant just for the DAC/amp combo, not including the actual headphones which puts the Fiio E17 well within budget coming in at £90 on ebay. Are there any other options that may be better for this setup, knowing now the budget is just for these? Or would that be overkill?

I also think I might look to get a blu-ray drive for the laptop then if that's easier, since right now the player is right next to the laptop anyway!

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 18
990 pro 250 ohm...don't bother with the premium version.  250ohm will be easier to drive than the 600 and be a little more versatile for your needs.

On dac/amp.....while the Fiio E07K will drive the 250ohm version, I find it to be a little lacking from my experience.  I set my gain to 6, treble/bass on 2 or 0 depending, and run volume between 30-50 with 60 being the max it will go.

Jul 28, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 18
What about the Fiio E17 that SteveHiFi also mentioned? Would that be more than enough to handle the 250ohm Pro?

I also read a lot of people saying the DT990s are best with a tube amp, these aren't tube amps right?

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 18
No, these are all solid state amp. The e17 would be better as it has slightly higher output than the e07k but I don't know if it would be enough yet. I have no experience with the e17, going off spec sheet.

Edit: After looking at the specs more, while it will be better than the e07k I still don't think its enough to properly drive the 250 ohm 990 pros.

The e18 looks like the best bet for DAC/AMP that would drive the 250ohm 990's. 8V p-p and 94mA power output is about as good as its gonna get from Fiio.

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #9 of 18
No, these are all solid state amp. The e17 would be better as it has slightly higher output than the e07k but I don't know if it would be enough yet. I have no experience with the e17, going off spec sheet.

Edit: After looking at the specs more, while it will be better than the e07k I still don't think its enough to properly drive the 250 ohm 990 pros.

The e18 looks like the best bet for DAC/AMP that would drive the 250ohm 990's. 8V p-p and 94mA power output is about as good as its gonna get from Fiio.

the E18 is 131.99$ at Buysonic ( must register to view )
https://www.buysonic.com/products/fiio-e18-kunlun/

however, it only says 150 ohms output?

Jul 28, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #10 of 18
I should have clarified a little better, the e18 is the best dac/amp combo from Fiio for the 250ohm.  I can drive mine with an E07K but like I stated its not optimal and could use more power.  The e18 outputs 1V more peak to peak and almost 20mA more than the E07K.  If he is stuck on buying Fiio for price and availability the e18 is the best bet for dac/amp.  If he just wants an amp the e12 would be the ideal candidate.

I PM'd the OP about a for sale thread here, a member has the DDS DAC-01 portable for sale that power up to 300ohm headphones and is in his price range.

Jul 29, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #11 of 18
Sorry guys, just to be a pain in the ass, today I got the chance to try some open headphones. They were pretty cheap (<£30) but made me realise I prefer the sound from closed headphones. I've decided to go for the HP150 which is the closed headphone I was also considering.

I'm going to get the Arcam rPAC amp for these and pick up a blu-ray drive for the laptop so I can just use them on that and the pc and skip the blu-ray player.

The thing that's worrying me now is...if the DAC/amp is USB then it has to be the primary source of audio from the pc. How can me and my roommate both use headphones to watch a movie? I've purchased him a pair of Superlux headphones for his birthday and if we use an audio splitter from the amp, won't the volume be too loud for his headphones since it'll have to be higher for my 250ohm than his 32ohm? They're the SUPERLUX HD-681 EVO.

Thank you for all the help!

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #12 of 18
Without getting really complicated, that's probably the best you can do (splitters). You won't know until you try.

Jul 29, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 18
Is it possible to get a really cheap amp-type device that's purely there to control volume? So we could go pc > dac/amp > splitter > this device > his headphones? That way he could lower the volume on his headphones if it's too loud going through the same amp. I don't really know of such a device though?

Jul 29, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #14 of 18
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10823&cs_id=1082703&p_id=7116&seq=1&format=2 might work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back