DT990 Bad Driver?
Nov 23, 2016 at 6:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

audio technica

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

I've got a pair of DT990s that have had no sound on the right side for a few months now.  I've just gotten around to taking them apart to diagnose/recable them and to my surprise the cabling seems good.  I put my scope on the right driver and it's getting a signal, but no sound.

Has anyone experienced this kind of failure before?  What could have caused this?

EDIT: Just checked the right driver impedance, it's almost 10K.  Definitely a bad driver.

From my simple searching of these forums it looks like I can get a replacement driver directly from Beyerdynamic for about $40.  Has anyone done this before with some degree of success?

Thanks

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #3 of 4
I've purchased a few drivers from Beyer USA for repairs, the cost is closer to $80 if I recall correctly. I've even seen a driver that measured properly ~30ohms (for 32) but didn't function.  
They're pretty easy to replace... just two or three joints (depending if it's the left or right driver). While you're in there you can replace with nicer wire if desired. Don't leave a hot iron on the driver solder tab for any extended period of time or you can burn our the diaphragm, but the Beyers are very rugged compared to other headphone drivers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back