DT990 600 ohms - Bass Rattling
Jan 8, 2014 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

x7007

100+ Head-Fier
Xonar Phoebus sound card 7.1.30
>150 Ohms = 600 ohms , selected.

I was starting to listening to music and movies, playing games, and I started to hear some annoying noise, rattling and crackling all at random times, and especially when there is bass.

on this page http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

On the BASS TEST (Bass Shaker) I have a lot of rattling on both speakers left and right on the start, on the middle I don't, on the end It's back again.

What can I do to test or fix it ?

Those headphones are barely 2 years I think. I never used 100% for gaming, always 50% volume. and using the >150 Ohms on the sound card Asus Xonar Phoebus, cause that's why I bought those headphones and I bought the sound card and connected them the first time togther when they arrived. no other equipment was used.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 7
If your headphones were dead you'd really know it.  They'd either not play sound at all or they'd play sound so distorted that you wouldn't recognize it.

Beyers are infamous for hairs getting stuck on their stick driver diaphragms, which causes a notice rattle during low bass notes.  What you can do is take the pads and a couple of the damping rings off, then try to get the hairs off the diaphragms.  If you're lucky the hair is just stuck in one of the felt rings and you can pluck the hairs off from there.

Jan 8, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 7
Can you show me exactly where I should clean, cause I am not sure about the english names.

It's so hard to open the black layer protection, I don't know how exactly to open it.

EDIT : Yes there is hair all over the place, should I take the white layer too, or just clean it ?

EDIT : I had the rattling to on the start when I got the headphones on the Right speaker, I think it was just time until it would seriously go worn out,  Speaker left is still ok, but right is just buzz all over on the deep bass test.

EDIT 3 : It's like the headphones weren't ok from the start, I tried to push the middle of the speakers and I can hear the same noise that coming when the music comes when I push it a bit harder, It's like both speakers were not attached hard enough and they made static noise and rattle when low deep bass was playing.

When I push a harder there is really ugly noise like crackling + fuzzy + artefacting.

EDIT : It seem I fixed it, It's like the white protective layer made the sound of the speaker when the sound came out of it, it was not made perfectly fit or stick like it should, like they say on the site :  "Poorly built" but it just fixable when trying to make it so it won't move, still need to perfectly attach it so it wont move at all. but just to think I got poor sound since I got the headphones for 379$ really not what I should have expected :X

The Rattling only happens when I use 600 Ohms .it doesn't happen when I use the lowest one.

Are the headphones are goners ? or it's ok if it's like that ( Can I fix it or anything )

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 7
If someone can please tell me so I'll know if I need to order new headphones, I am so pissed.

Is it possible that my Xonar Phoebus can't supply the 600 ohms ? , If I buy special ampfilier it won't happen or is it something with the headphones, I mean why to have 600 ohms when they can't really supply it properly.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #5 of 7
Once you've taken off the pads and then the first felt ring you get to that white layer as shown in your pictures.  Whenever I had a hair problem with the DT990s I just removed hair from that layer.  If the rattling still persists you might need to find someone who has more experience with this problem.  

And no the problem isn't the amplifier your'e using.

Jan 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 7
  Once you've taken off the pads and then the first felt ring you get to that white layer as shown in your pictures.  Whenever I had a hair problem with the DT990s I just removed hair from that layer.  If the rattling still persists you might need to find someone who has more experience with this problem.  

And no the problem isn't the amplifier your'e using.

And the peel off in the middle is fine or will it effect the sound ?

The deep bass test rattling only when I select the 600 ohms, If I select normal 32-64  I don't hear the rattling much or at all.

I should not here rattling at all at 600 ohms ? cause I heard the rattling the first time I got the headphones in this very same test.

Jan 8, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 7
I probably wouldn't have broken the middle part of that damping material, but I doubt it harmed the headphone if you didn't harm the diaphragm itself.

I don't have a xonar soundcard, so I wouldn't know how its different settings play with your bass rattling or not.  However, unless it's a really crappy product, it shouldn't cause any rattling on your bass at all, no matter how little amount of power it puts into the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back