DT990 250ohm vs DT770 80ohm for movies
Feb 7, 2018 at 10:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CBlank

New Head-Fier
So currently I am looking at buying a new set of headphones to watch movies with. Both of these beyerdynamics I can buy for $219 Australian (decent for how much tech prices are inflated here) which is why I am tossing up between them.

I don't have an amp and would rather not spend more buying one which is why I am thinking of going with the DT770 80ohm ones, though am unsure if my laptop will be sufficient to power them (I have read it should be). I am worried I'll buy the 770s and realize I may need an amp anyway, meaning I could have gone with the 990s + an amp.

I'm also not sure whether I'd prefer the open vs closed back for movies. As a bit of a reference, the kind of movies I love are with great sound tracks such as ones with hans zimmer (blade runner 2049 and interstellar sound tracks come to mind).

I can't really afford to buy an expensive amp, which is why I am opting for the 80ohm - but if you think the 990s would be a better option and can suggest a cheap, small amp that would run from my laptop I would be very grateful.

Thank you for reading, I am looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 15
Both are bright headphones.The DT990 being open backed,the DT770 is closed.
The budget amp around here that everyone seems to like is the Magni 3,which leans to the bright side+bright headphones=:triportsad: IMO.
If I were you I'd look into trying to find a used pair of Philips Fidelio X1/X2 which can be easily driven with no amp,isnt as bright as the Beyers and has nice bass slam and wide sound stage.

The DT770 (80ohm) should be fine from your laptop.The DT990 will probably sound better with an amp.

Feb 7, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #3 of 15
I would pick DT990 over DT770 for movies.
Bigger soundstage and a more natural presentation.

Both are bright but not much of a problem for movies in my experience.
Not great for compressed mainstream music.

I've used my former DT990 plugged directly into my laptop in the past for gaming and movies.
It was fine. The headphone should last a decade or more, so you can always get the amp later.

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 15
Both are bright headphones.The DT990 being open backed,the DT770 is closed.
The budget amp around here that everyone seems to like is the Magni 3,which leans to the bright side+bright headphones=:triportsad: IMO.
If I were you I'd look into trying to find a used pair of Philips Fidelio X1/X2 which can be easily driven with no amp,isnt as bright as the Beyers and has nice bass slam and wide sound stage.

The DT770 (80ohm) should be fine from your laptop.The DT990 will probably sound better with an amp.

I think the Magni 3 is still a little out of my price range for an amp. If I was to buy the 990s I'd want an amp under like $80 if that's even possible.
I have heard the Fildelio's are great but I don't think they were really sold in Australia so there aren't really any second hand ones.

Thanks!

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 15
I would pick DT990 over DT770 for movies.
Bigger soundstage and a more natural presentation.

Both are bright but not much of a problem for movies in my experience.
Not great for compressed mainstream music.

I've used my former DT990 plugged directly into my laptop in the past for gaming and movies.
It was fine. The headphone should last a decade or more, so you can always get the amp later.

Were these the 250ohm version? From what I have read, everything says that the 250ohm version definitely needs an amp.

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:18 PM Post #6 of 15
So currently I am looking at buying a new set of headphones to watch movies with. Both of these beyerdynamics I can buy for $219 Australian (decent for how much tech prices are inflated here) which is why I am tossing up between them.
I don't have an amp and would rather not spend more buying one which is why I am thinking of going with the DT770 80ohm ones, though am unsure if my laptop will be sufficient to power them (I have read it should be). I am worried I'll buy the 770s and realize I may need an amp anyway, meaning I could have gone with the 990s + an amp.
I'm also not sure whether I'd prefer the open vs closed back for movies. As a bit of a reference, the kind of movies I love are with great sound tracks such as ones with hans zimmer (blade runner 2049 and interstellar sound tracks come to mind).
I can't really afford to buy an expensive amp, which is why I am opting for the 80ohm - but if you think the 990s would be a better option and can suggest a cheap, small amp that would run from my laptop I would be very grateful.
Thank you for reading, I am looking forward to hearing your opinions!

Technically the 80-Ohm is slightly easier to drive then the 250-Ohm, but both really need to be used with a decent headphone amplifier to sound their best.
Check out the 40-Ohm Audio Technica ATH-A990Z.

Feb 7, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #7 of 15
Were these the 250ohm version? From what I have read, everything says that the 250ohm version definitely needs an amp.

Yes, 250 Ohm version.

You can use it without an amp plugged directly into an ok laptop. They will still sound better than most lower tier headphones.
Just like every other headphone in this class, DT990 will get better as you improve your setup.

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:48 AM Post #8 of 15
I use the DT990 (also 250 ohm) for this exact use case and also tried the DT770. They will work without an amp but will be much better with one.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #9 of 15
I have heard the Fildelio's are great but I don't think they were really sold in Australia so there aren't really any second hand ones.

https://www.minidisc.com.au/philips-fidelio-x2hr (They are not even that much more expensive than the Beyer's you are considering)

You'll have to look at the specialized audio shops... JB HiFi, Harvey Norman and the like have very poor selection when it comes to even mid-fi gear. If you're in Sydney, Minidisc and Addicted to Audio have show rooms you can demo a lot of their gear. I'm sure other cities have too... I'm not familiar though.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 15
Hmm good to know, thanks. So in your opinion are the 990s better for movies than the 770s?
Yes...I liked the more open presentation much better.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #12 of 15
https://www.minidisc.com.au/philips-fidelio-x2hr

You'll have to look at the specialized audio shops... JB HiFi, Harvey Norman and the like have very poor selection when it comes to even mid-fi gear. If you're in Sydney, Minidisc and Addicted to Audio have show rooms you can demo a lot of their gear. I'm sure other cities have too... I'm not familiar though.

I've been looking a bit at storedj but wasn't aware of these other stores. I think going into these stores may be my best option to find what I'm looking for, thanks.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 15
I've been looking a bit at storedj but wasn't aware of these other stores. I think going into these stores may be my best option to find what I'm looking for, thanks.
StoreDJ seems to have a lot more DJ and musician-orientated gear.

Addicted to Audio has a mixture of head-fi and stereo hi-fi. Minidisc is almost exclusively head-fi. There are other stores around the country if you do a bit of googling, but I visit these 2 stores mainly cos they are the most conveniently located for me.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #14 of 15
All versions of the Beyer DT770/DT880/DT990, 32-Ohm, 80-Ohm, 250-Ohm, 600-Ohm sound better (to some degree or another) when used with a decent headphone amplifier.

Feb 8, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #15 of 15
Hmm good to know, thanks. So in your opinion are the 990s better for movies than the 770s?
I own the DT770 and DT990, and would normally prefer to use the DT990, over the DT770, unless I needed to block noise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back