DT880 vs NAD HP50: Apples vs Oranges?
Jun 7, 2014 at 2:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jobio

New Head-Fier
A newbie observation here...

So I currently have paris of AKG 545, NAD HP50, and DT880-250 that I'm auditioning. The setup is:

iPad Air w/ FLAC files -> USB hub -> Maverick Tubemagic D1 plus -> headphones

In my neophyte opinion the AKG are outclassed by the NAD and Beyerdynamic; flat with little personality compared to the other two. However, I'm really enjoying the HP50 and DT880 both for different reasons. The HP50 give a fuller and bigger sound, which definitely shines on hip-hop or other bass heavy music. The DT880 are just great overall headphones that give a much better sense of hearing a live band. The music is airy with great depth and dynamic range.

So, is what I'm hearing typical of closed vs semi-closed cans? If I'm looking for a comparitor for the DT880 should I look at other semi-closed? Will the DT770 (closed) give a similar experience to the DT880? Are there closed cans that can compete with semi-closed or open, or is the HP50 probably the best I'm going to do for closed?

Just getting into this hobby and my first comparisons, so this test certainly opened up a lot of questions for me. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Jun 7, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #2 of 8
Try the HD 600's and hear the best of both worlds?

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 8
Try the HD 600's and hear the best of both worlds?

Would love to try the HD600s, but my goal starting out was to find a pair of closed cans (isolation from noise at work and home, as well as not disturbing others). I only ordered the DT880s because they were semi-closed and I thought they might offer enough isolation (didn't read up on them before ordering). Now they are my favorite, but I think they leak too much for use in public. So now I'm hoping to find that airy, clean (non-reverb), neutral sound of the DT880s (which I assume is a hallmark of open headphones) but in a closed can. Is that just unrealistic?

Jun 7, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #4 of 8
Would love to try the HD600s, but my goal starting out was to find a pair of closed cans (isolation from noise at work and home, as well as not disturbing others). I only ordered the DT880s because they were semi-closed and I thought they might offer enough isolation (didn't read up on them before ordering). Now they are my favorite, but I think they leak too much for use in public. So now I'm hoping to find that airy, clean (non-reverb), neutral sound of the DT880s (which I assume is a hallmark of open headphones) but in a closed can. Is that just unrealistic?

Ehhh not really, the Sound Magic HP 100 sound fairly close to the DT 880

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for the suggestions. I just picked up the momentum, so I'll be able to try those side-by-side with the HP50.

I think the HP50's are quite a bit better all around than the Momentum's, but as always YMMV.

Also, as for the original question, I think it is comparing apples and oranges to compare the DT880's with the HP50's.
Other than both being superior headphones, the differences between them outweigh the similarities. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back