DT880 vs DT 860
Dec 16, 2005 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

muckluck

500+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering if anyone has experience with both of these cans. I really want a pair of Beyer cans, specifically the DT880, and I was wondering how the two compared. The folding design of the DT860 and the lower Impedance are big selling points of the DT860. Now, is the DT860 just a low impedance version of the DT880, or is it a completely different monster?

Dec 16, 2005 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 17
I think they're fairly similar. The DT860 might be slightly more "commercial" sounding, with more midbass and energetic midrange.

Personally, I prefer the DT880, but ONLY if you got a good amplifier/source for it. If you don't have an amp, or will only be using a soundcard/MP3-player, the DT860 is a better alternative. It's easily powered, and not so fussy about sources. Make no mistake, the DT860 will also reveal a bad inboard soundcard, but not as ruthlessly as the DT880.

The DT880 is more comfortable, but the DT860 is by no means uncomfortable. It 's just a little heavier, and haven't got the same ultrasoft velour pads.

The DT880 is much more solidly build. It's more metal and industrial plastics, where the DT860 is all-plastic, and got that dreaded headband. The DT860 isn't bad, it just feels cheaper. However, the DT880 would survive WWIII, the DT860 wouldn't. :wink:

Dec 16, 2005 at 3:20 PM Post #3 of 17
I think they're really aimed at different markets... the DT 880 is more of their "Audiophile Showpiece" and in the same family as the 770 and 990, while the 860 is kind of a top of the line consumer headphone. Hmmm... I don't know if that made much sense.

The point is, I've got no idea why they're so close in price. If you've got that much money to burn, why wouldn't you get the 880? Not portable, sure... but I mean... come ON!

Dec 16, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
I think they're really aimed at different markets... the DT 880 is more of their "Audiophile Showpiece" and in the same family as the 770 and 990, while the 860 is kind of a top of the line consumer headphone. Hmmm... I don't know if that made much sense.

The point is, I've got no idea why they're so close in price. If you've got that much money to burn, why wouldn't you get the 880? Not portable, sure... but I mean... come ON!

Because I am a poor student who wants a good pair of cans and wants to wait for his budget to get big enough to afford an amp, therefore I need a more efficent pair. The Cowon A2 and my Audigy LS are going to be my major sources. Cowon advertises that their headphone amp is among the most powerful among portable players, so it might be able to drive the DT880s well enough untill I can afford an amp. Should I go for the DT880s? I love the big soft pads and the coiled cord. My other choice was AKG 501s or AKG 271 studios. What do you guys think?

Dec 16, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 17
If you can't afford a good amp the 501 are probaly not the best straight away. However they still sound good out of an alright amp and when you can eventually afford a good headphone amp it will feel like you have a new set of phones as well
icon10.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 17
If I go with the 860s, are there ways to mod the 880 pads to fit them? Also, is the sound of the AKG 271 Stuidos comparable to the AKG 501s?

Thanks for the help guys.

Dec 17, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 17
Ok, I think I narrowed it down to the DT 860s or DT 880s. Will a go-vibe MkIII be a good amp to use with the DT 880s, and if not can you reccomend a low cost portable amplifier that will be? Thank You

Dec 17, 2005 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 17
I think the DT 880 is by far the better headphone. The only thing the DT 860 does better is sensitivity ratings. The DT 880 is more comfortable and sounds noticeably better. It's true that the DT 880 requires more sophisticated amping but I would not buy the DT 860 under any circumstances whatsoever. It has a significant lower treble boost which drowns everything else. The result is a very thin, cold and ear-piercing sound - even driven from a 120 Ohm output impedance. The soundstage is pretty good and so are other technical traits like imaging, transient response or resolution. Despite all that, I even preferred the closed DT 660 to the DT 860 in a direct comparison. The DT 660, albeit less gifted with soundstage and other technical abilities, had a more balanced sound even though it's still rather bright.

Maybe it's my ears but the DT 860 is probably the worst audiophile headphone I've ever heard and I had many opportunities to listen to it because headfier JaZZ here in Zurich owns them. I admit that hearing and owning are different matters but a headphone has to pass at least certain standards in an extended audition for me to perhaps borrow it. But the DT 860 sounded so off to my ears on various occasions that I didn't really want to bother with it.

I've never owned the AKG K501 but the K271 is technical inferior to the DT 880. It has a warmer and pretty pleasant sound but lacks in bass, soundstage, resolution and other things. The DT 880 is a true high end headphone whereas the K271 is only a very good closed headphone.

In any case, depending on your budget the Sennheiser HD 580 is a bit more forgiving to source and amping and sounds very good. It's has a darker and more organic sound than the DT 880 and more bass quantity, not necessarily quality. Soundstage is slightly worse and it sounds less airy and transparent than the DT 880. A pretty warm headphone but a high end nonetheless. If you don't plan to get a better amp in the future, think $200-300, I'd suggest the Sennheiser HD 580 rather than the DT 880. The HD 580 is also cheaper which leaves you with some money for a better soundcard or amp. The two Sennheiser and Beyer headphones are actually pretty similar. The DT 880 is primarily just a bit brighter than the HD 580/600/650 family.

Dec 17, 2005 at 2:44 AM Post #9 of 17
Ugh, that is bad news. The DT860 seemed to fit all my requirements perfectly. Ok, so know I have a more vauge question. What is a good foldable, easy to drive headphone? Folding is a big plus since I will use these as a transportable rig, and well a foldable pair of cans is a BIG plus.

I wish I had audiphile friends. Most people around me think I am crazy for spending morethe $20 for a pair of headphones. It would be nice to have an easy way to try out different pairs of headphones.

Dec 17, 2005 at 3:13 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
I've tried the dt880 unamped out of my x5l. About 30 on the volume (out of 40) gives acceptable volume, around 70db. It doesn't sound bad persay, I personally would just go with the dt880 unamped if you don't have enough cash. Amps help but unamped is still very good and listenable.

That is awesome news, since my main source will be my A2. Alright I think the DT880s are the best choice. Although I may go AKG and get a pair of 501s or 601s (depending on budget).

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckluck
Ok, I think I narrowed it down to the DT 860s or DT 880s. Will a go-vibe MkIII be a good amp to use with the DT 880s,

Yes, it's decent with DT880s. You could do better, but for the cost it drives the DT880 well and has good dynamics IMO. However, I don't think Headsave is selling them at the moment... they're gearing up for the release of Go-Vibe Mark IV.

Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
I've never owned the AKG K501 but the K271 is technical inferior to the DT 880.

So is the K501, but not by all that much. K501 is a "true high end headphone," just in a lesser class than DT880 IMO. So is HD580, IMO and FWIW.

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #13 of 17
How about ATH-AD700s or A900s? How well do they stack up to the competition? I really can't find anyplace that sells them, any help in that department?

Thanks

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #14 of 17
Changed the thread title. The old title seemed to be inappropriate now.

-- edit --

err nevermind... didn't work

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:
I think they're fairly similar. The DT860 might be slightly more "commercial" sounding, with more midbass and energetic midrange.

Personally, I prefer the DT880, but ONLY if you got a good amplifier/source for it. If you don't have an amp, or will only be using a soundcard/MP3-player, the DT860 is a better alternative. It's easily powered, and not so fussy about sources. Make no mistake, the DT860 will also reveal a bad inboard soundcard, but not as ruthlessly as the DT880.

The DT880 is more comfortable, but the DT860 is by no means uncomfortable. It 's just a little heavier, and haven't got the same ultrasoft velour pads.

The DT880 is much more solidly build. It's more metal and industrial plastics, where the DT860 is all-plastic, and got that dreaded headband. The DT860 isn't bad, it just feels cheaper. However, the DT880 would survive WWIII, the DT860 wouldn't. :wink:

the question remain open ',how  does the 860 compare to 880 but 32 ohms !?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back