DT880 Pro vs DT880 250 Ohms vs DT880 600 ohms
Dec 26, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #2 of 13
The 600 ohm on a purely technical perspective is "better." The difference between it and the 250 ohm, though, is very minor. We're talking about barely audible levels of distortion shift and that kind of stuff.

Even though it is cheaper, it also requires a significantly more powerful amp to run.  What sort of amping do you have?

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:28 AM Post #3 of 13

The 600ohm version of the DT880/DT990 has a thinner driver diaphragm from what I've been able to find out.

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #5 of 13
The 600 ohm on a purely technical perspective is "better." The difference between it and the 250 ohm, though, is very minor. We're talking about barely audible levels of distortion shift and that kind of stuff.

Even though it is cheaper, it also requires a significantly more powerful amp to run.  What sort of amping do you have?

Xonar STX. I am still looking for a good DAC/AMP for these for >$300

Dec 26, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #7 of 13

General verdict appears to be that the Premium will be the better all rounder with clear separation between
 bass, mids and highs whilst the Pro appears to be heavier in the bass region.

Have not heard the DT880-600ohm but I've heard the 250ohm version extensively ~ good can overall
 if you're after a high degree of clarity and neutrality. Should be more forward overall than the 600ohm
 if the DT880 follows the same family signature as the DT990 from 250 to 600ohm.

PM a guy named 'Nikp' ~ he's an Aussie who seems pretty happy with his 600ohm DT880's.

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #8 of 13
 General verdict appears to be that the Premium will be the better all rounder with clear separation between
 bass, mids and highs whilst the Pro appears to be heavier in the bass region to the point where it can 
 overpower the already slightly distant mids.

What is your verdict between the 600 version and the 250 of the premiums? Would and STX amp these well or should I downgrade to the 250 for more money? At the end of the day I will have to either get a better amp for more money or downgrade the headphones to 250 for more money. No equilibrium at all.

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
What is your verdict between the 600 version and the 250 of the premiums? Would and STX amp these well or should I downgrade to the 250 for more money? At the end of the day I will have to either get a better amp for more money or downgrade the headphones to 250 for more money. No equilibrium at all.

The STX will definitely get the DT880-250ohm going, it may not be giving them 100% of what they're capable of but they'll sound pretty nice.

What you'd want to do down the track is get an external headphone amp and keep the STX soundcard as
 your 'DAC' (Digital to Analogue Converter), the DAC on the STX is pretty good so it's a keeper, the headphone amp
 on the card is ok, it can be a little bright which is a worry perhaps with a headphone like the DT880/250ohm which is
 anything but dark.

If the budget is tight, I'd get the 250ohm with a view to an external head amp to help the STX.
 The 600ohm's are the most refined but they will need a decent head amp to really perform.

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 13
I listen to old school hip/hop, hard trance, instrumentals, and hardstyle. Is the bass prevalent enough in the DT880's or should i go for the DT990's? I kind of don't want the bass to overpower my music but I would like to hear it punch a bit. Would the Xonar STX do it for the DT880 250 ohms?

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 13
I don't know if you seen my last post but I said, that I listen to old school hip/hop, hard trance, instrumentals, hardstyle, and was wondering if you think I should get the Pro's or stick with premium. I just don't want weak bass in my headphones.

Dec 26, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #12 of 13
Beyerdynamic Pros have slightly more clamping force then the Premiums (05).
The Premiums have a slightly lighter clamping force and are a little more comfortable.

Dec 26, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
I don't know if you seen my last post but I said, that I listen to old school hip/hop, hard trance, instrumentals, hardstyle, and was wondering if you think I should get the Pro's or stick with premium. I just don't want weak bass in my headphones.

I think you're looking at the wrong headphone, you need something like an Ultrasone Pro 900 ~ no weak bass there.

Alternatively, forget the DT880 and get the DT990 in 250 ohm, much beefier in the bass region. It's an option.

But for your genres, still say go for either the Ultrasone Pro 900 or Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back