DT880 Pro or Sennheiser HD598?
Jan 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

puscifer

New Head-Fier
I used to have a DT831 and really enjoyed it's clarity. My Phonak 122 just broke (cable) and all I have now is a pair of old HD497.

My setup is Foobar (wasapi) ultra upsampled to 96khz amped by an Onkyo 507.

I dunno if I should just get the 598s and be done with it, or if I should splash 50€ more for the 880pro (250 ohm) so I can later get the Xonar Essence One.. or.. will i get a decent enough sound with an Onkyo 1009? (3D/2012 smart tv is causing a bad rash heheh).

Taste is eccletic but mainly rock and metal. I know Grado could be a better choice, although I do like bass a bit, as you see from my previous choices in cans, the analitic taste usually overwhelms the basshead in me.

It's a dilemma, please bear with me ;]

Jan 21, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:
although I do like bass a bit, as you see from my previous choices in cans, the analitic taste usually overwhelms the basshead in me.

I don't have the DT880pro 250, but i know very well the DT880 05 250 ohm and i think (from reviews) the pro 250ohm version has more bass than the premium version. The HD598 is an excellent headphone that i prefer to DT880 05, but i you want more bass impact, i think the DT880pro is a better choice.

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 6
Do you thing my receiver will be sufficient to amp a 250ohm pair of cans, while i wait for the asus xonar essence one to drop a bit?

It's a shame there's no premium cards (in the same range of essence one) that also support 5.1 (dts-hd amd dolby truehd even), since i really wanted to enjoy 5.1 with a better resolution, without the need of a new receiver..

Will I definitely be better off with the HD598, while i'm not using a dedicated amp?

Jan 22, 2012 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by puscifer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Will I definitely be better off with the HD598, while i'm not using a dedicated amp?

Not necessarily, it is not uncommon for receivers to have a high output impedance, and that is not very well suited for the HD5xx. But it will most likely work at least reasonably with either.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
Do you thing my receiver will be sufficient to amp a 250ohm pair of cans, while i wait for the asus xonar essence one to drop a bit?

Quote:

The Xonar essence stx/st is surely much better than the Onkyo 507 but the HD598 is a very efficient headphone and would be sound good even with your AV amp.

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 6
Ended up getting a Xonar Essence One + HD650, the price wasnt' too bad and i'm amazed how layback they sound. And how it can be analytic in bit perfect mode. The E1 makes for a decent pre-amp for my SR507, but now i'm getting the urge of getting a balanced input stereo amp. Is there any 'mid' budget receiver with balance inputs? My QAcoustics might improve a bit if i bi-amp them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back