DT880 Pad Mod, Is There A Way?
Nov 14, 2005 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cheechoz

Headphoneus Supremus
I noticed that when I bring the DT880 closer to my ears, by pushing them slightly with my hands, the bass get more pronounced, while still keeping the nice highs in tact. Has anyone modded the pads, so that the drivers are closer to there ears?

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #2 of 9
They will get softer with time and use. But you can also compress them over night to accelerate this process.

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
They will get softer with time and use. But you can also compress them over night to accelerate this process.

COOOOL!!! I will do that then. Do the pads come off easy? Figure I would ask before I do any damage.

Nov 14, 2005 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 9
When I was burning in my DT770s, I taped the cups together quite tightly so as to not let any of the pink noise/music out as they lay in my drawer...this also had the effect of compressing the pads over a few days. Two birds with one stone?
wink.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:23 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kameleon
When I was burning in my DT770s, I taped the cups together quite tightly so as to not let any of the pink noise/music out as they lay in my drawer...this also had the effect of compressing the pads over a few days. Two birds with one stone?
wink.gif

and where goes soundpressure then if they are face-to-face? you are doing bad to drivers like this
frown.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tola555
and where goes soundpressure then if they are face-to-face? you are doing bad to drivers like this
frown.gif

And where does the sound pressure go when the DT770s are on your head? They've got a seal there too, just not such a tight one. The answer is the ports in the side of the cups - that release of air is more than enough to stop driver damage.

Nov 14, 2005 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 9
It's strange... to me, the difference I get from pushing the earcups closer to my ears is very small. I notice a bigger change in soundstage related to positioning on the head than I do any tonal balance changes.

Nov 14, 2005 at 10:53 PM Post #9 of 9
if you're brave and sure you want to do it:

find two suitable "plates" that the pads will lie flat between. put the "sandwich" in a pot, fill with water. put something heavy enough to compress the sandwich down and heat. dont boil. about bath water hot should be sufficient. the amount of weight you put on the pads will determine the amount of pad-squish. i heated mine for about an hour, removed from the water, then compressed them between two towels overnight to dry.

the squish is permanent.

again, i did this to my senn hd280 - pad material is def. different, so i have no idea if it will work on those beyers. i hated the stock pads so i didn't care if they were ruined... you might feel differently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back