DT880 owners, help needed
Feb 14, 2012 at 11:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
I just got a set of second hand DT880s that I bought off of Ebay. The first thing I noticed was that the headband adjusters were very loose. Apart from the up and down movement, there was a significant amount of left and right movement and in-and-out movement. I felt the other end of the adjusters move around inside the headband. I don't have the problem of the cups sliding down without me pulling them down but I read in a review that the adjustment is supposed to be very firm. However, holding the bit of metal that sticks out of the adjusters on the side, they were fine. Is this normal?

Also, I did not get a removable headband in the package. Looking at some reviews after, I only saw that the Pros have the headband. But I was thinking that attaching the clip on headhand would help. They are quite costly.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #3 of 10
I have the left one. Upon further research, it appears as if that headband is removable. I might take it off and see how the slider is built under there. I'll take a picture of it once I take it off, but I'm a bit scared. As for now, I'll do the worst mspaint job I can

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #4 of 10
You could just use the photos online and Insert Shapes on PowerPoint, that usually works for me. Much less hassle too.

I have the same version 880 as you; the headband's removable, it's totally safe to do so, don't worry about that.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:25 AM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
You could just use the photos online and Insert Shapes on PowerPoint, that usually works for me. Much less hassle too.

I have the same version 880 as you; the headband's removable, it's totally safe to do so, don't worry about that.

can you wiggle your cups back and forth?

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #7 of 10
The mechanism is finicky at best. It will get tight or be very loose. Happens with the DT990 as well. I opened my first DT990 to see how it worked. They seriously need to revamp that aspect of the headphones.

Feb 15, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for that.

The good news is that it sounds ok as far as I can tell, and it's fairly comfortable on my head and I've had them on for half an hour or so. also, they are sufficiently loud out of my sound card, which outputs 2Vrms from line. I guess that's alright but there's no leeway for the odd quiet recording. Getting an amp is on my shortlist, but it's good to know they aren't useless in the meantime.

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 10
i just took the headband cover off and exposed the metal frame. it appears as if the little plastic bridge that says "Beyerdynamic" on it is the only thing that holds the ends of the cups in place. the lateral movement is due to it pivoting at that single point.

Feb 15, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 10
I assume the wiggling is normal. Mine feels cheap, but I guess it cuts down cost of manufacturing. Putting the whole thing back together is not as simple as one would think it would be. The chunk of metal in the headband is not polished and feels rusty. After opening the headband, I feel cheated. Good thing I got these on an Amazon fire sale a while back. If I paid full MSRP, I would have expected much better workmanship on the parts I can't see form the outside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back