DT880 or HD600 with Hifiman EF2?
Oct 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

caceledon

New Head-Fier
After much consideration, and taking in account my budget, I´ve decided to buy a HIfiman EF2 dac/amp, and now I need to buy some decent headphones to use it with. My first choice was the akg k701, but everyone advised me that the amp wasn’t powerful enough for them.
I listen to a wide variety of music genres, primarily alternative rock (nine inch nails, tool, bjork, silversun pickups), some hip hop (just jack, jay-z) and while reading, or at work, classical and jazz.
So after revising my options I’ve narrowed it down to the beyerdynamic DT880 or the Sennhiser HD600. I can buy any of them for USD$300 shipped to Chile (where I am).
Which one should I buy? DT880 or HD600?

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 6
DT880 has much more of a fun and wow factor. I really like the 600 for very specific things but the 880 is great for everything. If you are going to have just one dynamic headphone, the DT 880 is a very good choice. To make your journey a bit longer and shorter? Go for a good Stax setup as your ultimate goal. They are the most amazing sounding headphones overall.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 6
I read that the ultimate headphone is the Stax SR-007 Mk2 paired with the WooAudio WES Amp, but since I´m just starting, i want to start somewheare in the mid-range and as I train my ear and hopefully in the future i plan on geting into the higher end, and making the transition to electrostatic when i can fully apreciate it (and afford it).

Oct 16, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 6
DT880.
I personally liked it better and is perfect for music but also gaming and movies. The HD600 is limited to music only imo. Even with different genres the DT880s know how to impress.

Oct 16, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 6
tbh, I don't feel the EF2 could power each of them to their full potential.
I felt the Little Dot MKV didn't power the DT880 to their full potential.....
but tbh, yeah, If I had to choose, DT880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back