DT880 or DT860 and why?
Mar 5, 2005 at 3:04 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
With this in mind, I am glad that I picked up the DT880s, as to me - by your statement ssportclay, the DT860 would be overkill to me
smily_headphones1.gif

These 2 headphones really sound nothing alike.People who like the dark sounding HD650 tend to not like the brighter and more dynamic DT860.This headphone does tend to be a bit harsh when matched with the wrong equipment.The DT880 is a safer and smoother if more booring choice.I consider the the DT860 to be a high fidelity headphone that grooves.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:13 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay
These 2 headphones really sound nothing alike.People who like the dark sounding HD650 tend to not like the brighter and more dynamic DT860.This headphone does tend to be a bit harsh when matched with the wrong equipment.The DT880 is a safer and smoother if more booring choice.I consider the the DT860 to be a high fidelity headphone that grooves.

Hmm...I don't think I'll ever agree with you regarding these two headphones. :)

On my system, they are very similar-sounding, and neither are harsh.
However, I do agree that the DT860 could be harsh/too bright on some systems, especially lower-quality solidstate amps and directly from soundcards. The 120 ohm adapter does help a little.

The DT860 also has a midbass hump that some might find entertaining, but I've never found the DT880 to be boring with any kind of music. And never ever have it sounded congested.

While I prefer the DT880 on my system, the DT860 is a great headphone that more people need to hear.
Just don't say that it is way better than the DT880, or very different sounding, it hasn't been true in any situation I've tested them in. The same goes for a few other people I've talked to that have tested them both.
So please don't give people the wrong impression.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
Hmm...I don't think I'll ever agree with you regarding these two headphones. :)

On my system, they are very similar-sounding, and neither are harsh.
However, I do agree that the DT860 could be harsh/too bright on some systems, especially lower-quality solidstate amps and directly from soundcards. The 120 ohm adapter does help a little.

The DT860 also has a midbass hump that some might find entertaining, but I've never found the DT880 to be boring with any kind of music. And never ever have it sounded congested.

While I prefer the DT880 on my system, the DT860 is a great headphone that more people need to hear.
Just don't say that it is way better than the DT880, or very different sounding, it hasn't been true in any situation I've tested them in. The same goes for a few other people I've talked to that have tested them both.
So please don't give people the wrong impression.

I dont think there is any need to be concerned about people having the wrong impression about the TD880 because it is well known and liked on this sight.As far as headphones that have been in my posession,I find trhat the DT860 sounds a lot closer to the AKG 240S than the DT880.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:45 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

the DT860 sounds a lot closer to the AKG 240S than the DT880.

I've never HEARD the DT860 and this doesn't make any sense to me. What amp are you running the DT860 off of?

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:49 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

I dont think there is any need to be concerned about people having the wrong impression about the TD880 because it is well known and liked on this sight.As far as headphones that have been in my posession,I find trhat the DT860 sounds a lot closer to the AKG 240S than the DT880.

I haven't heard the AKG 240S, so I can't comment on that.

Yes, many have heard the DT880, but few have heard both the DT880 and DT860, and even fewer have had the chance to compare them in their own system. You and I have had the chance, and I disagree strongly in your views. I just want that to be clear.

I think that when people have read some of your previous posts, they could get the impression that there are huge differences between the two phones, and one is WAY better than the other. Of the ones I've talked to, none are of that impression.
Maybe you've just used some unfortunate words sometimes, but I feel that I must state my feelings on the matter, especially since I disagree. :)

Mar 5, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #21 of 24
I've seen opinions that the DT880 is the headphone least typical of the Beyer house sound. The argument is that the DT880 was targeted as an HD600 killer, and perhaps the DT860 reverts to type? My only Beyer is the DT880, and I have thought at times that it was what I hoped the HD650 would be.

You make me curious about the DT860.

BW

Mar 5, 2005 at 10:20 PM Post #22 of 24
For what it's worth, when I first heard the DT 860 I thought it was unbearably bright with a strong lower highs emphasis (maybe around 2-3 Khz) that made everything sound cold and overly shiny. Even driven by the Corda HA-2 MKII's 120 Ohm output, the brightness was still overwhelming and at that time there was no way for me listen to that headphone any longer. I thought the DT 860 was one of the worst audiophile headphones I have ever listened to. It should be noted that a couple of other headphones were present for a comparison, namely a Hd 650 with various replacement cables and two Grados (80 and 225).

In the meantime, I have bought a Beyerdynamic DT 660 which inherits the same brightness issue, which I believe to have encountered with the DT 860 before. In addition to that my Porta Corda MKI broke down so all I had was my portable player, a couple of closed headphones and the DT 660, which made me shift my home listening to these closed headphones. I have to admit that I've grown quite found of the DT 660's bright presentation despite or maybe because of the lower treble emphasis. On some tracks, the DT 660 is still unlistenable but most of the time I find the Beyer to be extremely fun to listen to. After some time I also bought a 120 Ohm adapter from Dr. Meier, which made the DT 660 even more enjoyable. Although the DT 660 is not the DT 860, there are certain parallels. ssportclay mentions a groovy sound and I can concur although it is not the typical warm, upper-bass humped, midrange-emphasised stereotypical groovy sound but one that could be described by the term uplifting. It's the sort of sound that grabs you at your neck and literally screams for your attention with a rather bright voice. Please also note that the lower treble emphasis does not necessarily lead to listening fatigue (at least for me) as is the case with the Ultrasone HFI 650, which exhibits a mid treble emphasis at around 5-6 Khz.

I'd like to give the DT 860 another listen but I guess the bottom line is that - assuming I can make assumptions on the DT 860 based on prior experience with it and my personal observations with the DT 660 - the Beyer 860 definately requires quite some mental burn-in and a preference for brighter sound signatures. And as has been mentioned already, a 120 Ohm doesn't hurt with these headphones. Nevertheless, if you're looking for an even-handed frequency response, look elsewhere. Certainly, there's no "perfectly neutral" but I consider most audiophile headphones to be somewhat neutral or rather balanced across their respective frequency responses. Both the DT660 and DT860, however, have too obvious frequency bumps in the lower treble to be called anywhere near neutral. Take either headphone, listen to some white noise and you know what I mean. (As a sidenote, comparing headphones using white noise or pink noise can tell quite a lot about a headphone.)

Sound quality aside, the DT 880 is much more comfortable
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #23 of 24
The DT880 and DT860 are both fairly expensive high quality headphones.As the quality increases in headphones,their sonic differences decrease.Any statements I made compairing these two models are really quite small.All headphones sound a bit congested to these ears.It is just a question of degree.I feel that headphone advancement has come a long way since I first started using them but they still have a fairly long way to go to match speakers.

Jun 13, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:
Personally, I'd choose the DT880 anytime.
But that's because I got a setup that probably suits the DT880 better.

If I didn't have a good amplifier, the DT860 would be the better choice.
Make no mistake, the DT860 needs good amplification to sound its best, but it's not a necessity as with the DT880.

Also, if you really like hardhitting bass, the DT860 is for you. The DT880 got a more correct and detailed bass, but might not be entertaining enough for some.

The DT880 is more comfortable to wear, and much sturdier. It got those classic, retro Beyer looks, and it's almost impossible to break.

So it depends...

well; the 880 comes also in a 32 ohms version ;in order to be easy driven ,' now question arises how 880/32ohms compares to 860/32ohms ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back