DT880 or akg501 for classical?
Jan 29, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #16 of 21
I own the DT880 (and the HD650 and I’m borrowing the K701). I just sold the K501 (after trying it for the third time). Although the K501's midrange was very clear and sweet, the lacking bass affected the entire spectrum. Not only were the deepest notes absent (which is crucial with organ and certain chamber pieces) but nearly every sound exhibited a hollow, silhouette-like effect that was intolerable. I used the K501 exclusively for 2 weeks (source is DAC1 and amp is M-cube) and this issue plagued the 'phones throughout their tenure. Their soundstage, while very wide, was not deep and also negatively affected my enjoyment of jazz and rock. The HD650 and DT880 both have narrower, but deeper soundstages, and the K701 is dearly as deep as the Beyer and Senn, while demonstrating just as wide a soundstage as its little brother. The Beyer sounds slightly colder than the DT880, but the Beyer's bass presence and overall more balanced sound is preferred, IMO (and its bass is just as clear and tight as the K501). The K701 is another matter...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilPeart
I own the DT880 (and the HD650 and I’m borrowing the K701). I just sold the K501 (after trying it for the third time). Although the K501's midrange was very clear and sweet, the lacking bass affected the entire spectrum. Not only were the deepest notes absent (which is crucial with organ and certain chamber pieces) but nearly every sound exhibited a hollow, silhouette-like effect that was intolerable.

I know what you mean by that, and I believe it's due to the combined effect of rolled-off low bass + ruler-flat midbass. Personally I only experience this effect with music that's already bass-shy... you'd be surprised how much of it is out there, even some classical. Well-recorded music does not exhibit this effect (to my ears) on the K501s.

It is definitely a headphone that requires user adjustment to its sonic signature though, as well as plenty of burn-in. I hope the OP gives them a good chance, they can be wonderfully light, airy and crystalline and the midrange is to die for. I don't like them as much for classical as jazz/pop/female vocals though... IMO the DT880 is simply the better headphone, and not just because it has more low bass... it's better to my ears in nearly every category. The K501 is my "fun" headphone, for more casual listening.

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

The Beyer sounds slightly colder than the DT880, but the Beyer's bass presence and overall more balanced sound is preferred, IMO (and its bass is just as clear and tight as the K501). The K701 is another matter...
smily_headphones1.gif

Umm...what do you mean by that? How many Beyers are you talking about?

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #19 of 21
I think he meant the Beyerdynamic DT880 is slightly colder (or "silvery") in the midrange compared to the more "golden" AKG 501 - he's expressed the Beyer "silver" to AKG "golden" sound before, especially with regard to midrange.

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:43 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Giteet
I think he meant the Beyerdynamic DT880 is slightly colder (or "silvery") in the midrange compared to the more "golden" AKG 501 - he's expressed the Beyer "silver" to AKG "golden" sound before, especially with regard to midrange.

I like that analogy. A lot of things about the Beyers are "silver," including the box, the earpads, the earpiece grilles, and the sound
tongue.gif
. Beyer comes in a copper/gold box.. so is the writing on the headband and stickers on the earcups, and that does reflect its sound somehow
smily_headphones1.gif
. That doesn't mean I think the K501 is better btw (e.g. gold > silver), in fact the opposite is the case.

Jan 29, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

The Beyer sounds slightly colder than the DT880, but the Beyer's bass presence and overall more balanced sound is preferred...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
A lot of things about the Beyers are "silver," including the box, the earpads, the earpiece grilles, and the sound
tongue.gif
. Beyer comes in a copper/gold box...

A lot of AKG/Beyer confusion...
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back