DT880: LD MKIV SE vs. Woo3
Sep 30, 2008 at 3:01 AM Post #31 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MKIV SE has gain switches to match different PH impedances so if you plan to get HPs with various impedances this is a plus. I have this amp and like it though I listen to my LD MKV more simply because I find it to be more exciting (for the time being).
wink.gif
BTW, the MKV doesn't need gain switches. Here's LD MKIV info:Viewing a thread - New Little Dot MK IV Pictures

I've already found that page
biggrin.gif

But is the soundstage of the woo 3+ really wider than the one of the LD MKIV?

And is the MKIV better than the MKV or is it the other way round??

Sep 30, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #32 of 44
According to Glitch (from whom I was to buy the Woo3+) the Woo3+ is better in imaging and soundstage. In the end I chose the MKIV SE, since it saves me some €. I'm getting my amp the 18th and ofcourse I'll post my impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Glitch (from whom I was to buy the Woo3+) the Woo3+ is better in imaging and soundstage. In the end I chose the MKIV SE, since it saves me some €. I'm getting my amp the 18th and ofcourse I'll post my impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL...I have your amp, then! I know he liked both a lot, but as he stated the Woo had better soundstage and better synergy with the HD650. THis combo rocks. He also really liked the MKIV, and the variable gain is nice if you are going to juggle headphones. Glitch also had both 250 and 600 ohm DT880's and if I recall, he still liked the Woo with these phones. For those of us that like the 650, look no further than the Woo WA3+. If you are going to use high and low impedance phones, I'd try the Woo WA6, but it's spendy, and maybe the MKIV SE would be a good option.

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:05 PM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger_Federer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already found that page
biggrin.gif

But is the soundstage of the woo 3+ really wider than the one of the LD MKIV?

And is the MKIV better than the MKV or is it the other way round??

I've had both cans (DT880 250 and 600 ohms) and the 650. And both amps (LD IV SE and Woo 3+)

LD is very clinical, very clean. strong bass, good highs.

Woo is more musical to me, however, with that 3D soundstage that I did not get with the LD. of course it's all subjective and YMMV.

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:07 PM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by glitch39 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had both cans (DT880 250 and 600 ohms) and the 650. And both amps (LD IV SE and Woo 3+)

LD is very clinical, very clean. strong bass, good high.

Woo is more musical to me, with that 3D soundstage that I did not get with the LD. of course it's all subjective and YMMV.

Based on knowing you and your opinions, I'd say that's spot on, although I haven't heard your (ex) LD IV SE. Your opinions have never been wrong, except when you preferred your insane DT880's over the HD650...(although you did keep the 650 and sell all your 880s in the end...).
wink.gif

Oct 1, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Woo is more musical to me, however, with that 3D soundstage that I did not get with the LD. of course it's all subjective and YMMV.

That seems to get a hard decision!!!

I like much soundstage and 3D...but if I buy several HP with different impedance...

But how big are the differences? Very slighty or bigger? And how big is the power drop of the woo 3+ with low-impedance-HPs?

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #38 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL...I have your amp, then! I know he liked both a lot, but as he stated the Woo had better soundstage and better synergy with the HD650. THis combo rocks. He also really liked the MKIV, and the variable gain is nice if you are going to juggle headphones. Glitch also had both 250 and 600 ohm DT880's and if I recall, he still liked the Woo with these phones. For those of us that like the 650, look no further than the Woo WA3+. If you are going to use high and low impedance phones, I'd try the Woo WA6, but it's spendy, and maybe the MKIV SE would be a good option.

Haha yes, that would have been my amp then.
wink.gif
Glad you like it. I couldn't justify spending 80€ more for the WA3+. The shipping costs were already 70$.

Oct 2, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Haha yes, that would have been my amp then.
wink.gif
Glad you like it. I couldn't justify spending 80€ more for the WA3+. The shipping costs were already 70$.

Don't forget VAT. That might add a little more as well.

Oct 2, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #40 of 44
That also scared me a bit, yes. And you say a little? I bought 2 pairs of GS1000 pads from ttvj. Total costs: 115$ (80€ atm*). I was charged 42€(!) for customs. :|

*Can anyone please tell me how on earth the dollar is raising in value with all the banks failing etc. Drives me mad. Do you have any idea how much longer it will take before I can get a DAC that way?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #41 of 44
Man that sucks...the cultural and commercial exchanges between the US and Europe are suffering because of VAT and shipping charges. I now want some Siemens or Philips tubes for the WA3+, and the majority of them are located in Europe...I'm also leery about having tubes shipped overseas...
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

Thanks for the comparison glitch39. Makes me happy to have gone with the WA6
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MKIV SE has gain switches to match different PH impedances so if you plan to get HPs with various impedances this is a plus. I have this amp and like it though I listen to my LD MKV more simply because I find it to be more exciting (for the time being).
wink.gif
BTW, the MKV doesn't need gain switches. Here's LD MKIV info:Viewing a thread - New Little Dot MK IV Pictures

The gain switch can't hurt, but I just wanted to note that its far from a guarantee that the MKIV will be a great match for all HP's. My suspicion is that much like the Woo 3 and 3+, the MKIV will still has better synergy with high impedance phones.

To illustrate this point - take a look at this post in the for sale forum, where one head-fier is currently selling his MKIV because, "my wife just got me a Denon d5000 and i need an amp that can drive low ohm headphones."
(http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...-tubes-369537/)

Oct 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

I'm really interested in that wa3+ though I also read that it's more suited for low impedance phones. My DT880 isn't exactly low impedance. Can anyone elaborate on this?

so wa3+ can match my denon d2000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back