DT880 IS HERE!
Dec 29, 2006 at 10:22 PM Post #16 of 79
Your dt880 will take aprox. 150 hours - whether you believe ...or not. If you do not believe - it is all good. Then you will sell them, and the buyer will benefit
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #17 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your dt880 will take aprox. 150 hours - whether you believe ...or not. If you do not believe - it is all good. Then you will sell them, and the buyer will benefit
smily_headphones1.gif

Why would i sell them? Cuz i like them already!
biggrin.gif
Im already convinced that these headphones stay. I doubt i will ever sell my SR225, but that leaves to be seen till i have done some burn-in and side-by-side comparison.

NP: Raison D'Etre - The Empty Hollow Unfolds
good dark ambient before going to bed.

Dec 29, 2006 at 11:54 PM Post #18 of 79
Congrats on the new beyers. Wish I had a pair myself. The 06 version really impressed me when I listened to them at a meet.

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:42 AM Post #19 of 79
Black metal!

pop in the new Amon amarth cd and tell me how it sounds!(i know its not black, but its still kickass). Enjoy your new aquisition

BTW your avatar made me decide to wear my Immortal shirt tomorrow

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #20 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by xstephanx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Black metal!

pop in the new Amon amarth cd and tell me how it sounds!(i know its not black, but its still kickass). Enjoy your new aquisition

BTW your avatar made me decide to wear my Immortal shirt tomorrow

Actually Hermods Ride To Hell - Lokes treachery was one of the first songs i tried with these. Very detailed and awesome.
cool.gif

Dec 30, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #21 of 79
I believe the DT880's actually take a longer burn-in period then traditionally believed. After 300 or so hours of music (and lots of gaming time with them), the bass has completely filled the music, and they just have up a huge soundstage when called upon. I never remember these DT880's having so big of a sound, it really lets your mind drift incredibly well.

Edit:

And I do agree about the EQ'ing. Ever since I went back to coax out of the back of my sound card (instead of optical from the front bay), I've stopped using the EQ with very good results.

Dec 30, 2006 at 10:39 AM Post #22 of 79
What amp are you using? I'm going to be getting some 880's soon, and I've been starting to learn to make my own amps. I've got most tools, and am about to start work on my first cmoy. what amp do you use? if you made yours, what parts would you recommend?

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:12 AM Post #23 of 79
I have no external amplifier ATM. Im completely relying on my X-Fi Elite Pro's own opamp system (its bit different and stronger than normal X-Fi systems). Its quite powerfull though, drives DT880 with ease. Though I'm going to get either Meier-Audio Arietta or Heed CanAmp at some point.

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:17 AM Post #24 of 79
I do recommend getting a tube amp with the DT880's. Though I haven't heard 880's w/ a tube amp personally, just about everyone that has feels the 880's come to life with tubes.

A tube amp is going to be my next upgrade for my 880's. I want to get a dedicated setup in my room for private listening. But for PC as Source, it's very nice to have a SS amp that works instantly and lives a good long life without repairs.

Dec 30, 2006 at 11:19 AM Post #25 of 79
I'm really itching to get a good tube amp, but getting replacement tubes is real pain. I know only one website here in finland that sells them, but their collection isnt really varied. Every most common and popular tubes recommended for amplifier usage are missing.

And i use my rig a LOT, so those tubes will burn out quite fast.

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #26 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really itching to get a good tube amp, but getting replacement tubes is real pain. I know only one website here in finland that sells them, but their collection isnt really varied. Every most common and popular tubes recommended for amplifier usage are missing.

And i use my rig a LOT, so those tubes will burn out quite fast.

You are not getting the sound the DT880 can give you yet.
They really want an amp.
You can get an X-can v3 with 6N23-EB tubes. They will last for 10000 hours
and are easy to replace (widely available on e-bay and not terribly expensive either).
Burn-in is real too. They will get a more even tonal balance after a while. Any hint of shrillness that can be there in the beginning will disappear and bass will seem more present (I think one has to do with the other). It is not a day-and-night difference, but I'm shure you will notice.
The (old) DT880 are really very good. Very underestimated I think.
I'm glad to see you enjoy them.

Dec 30, 2006 at 5:52 PM Post #27 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They really want an amp.
and are easy to replace (widely available on e-bay and not terribly expensive either).
Burn-in is real too. They will get a more even tonal balance after a while. Any hint of shrillness that can be there in the beginning will disappear and bass will seem more present (I think one has to do with the other). It is not a day-and-night difference, but I'm shure you will notice.

Do you recognise any tubes here that would fit for tuberolling/replacement to X-Can3? I dont know a damn thing about tube amps and their design.

http://www.rpm.fi/rpm/01-products-ala.htm

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #29 of 79
Just to add to this--I used my '05 DT990's out of an Entech Number Cruncher, no amp for a month or two. I could still get them to unbearable volume. Just got an amp yesterday and they really transform into something more. I realize you probably know the differences an amp can make, but I was just amazed at the difference between providing high volume and actually amping the cans.

Also wanted to share my excitement over my new amp.
icon10.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They really want an amp.

Dec 30, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #30 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you recognise any tubes here that would fit for tuberolling/replacement to X-Can3? I dont know a damn thing about tube amps and their design.

http://www.rpm.fi/rpm/01-products-ala.htm

I am not an expert either, but from the site you mentioned you can get all E88C and E88CC types in the European section and the 6922 tubes from the Special (military quality) section.
I bought my 6N23-EB here.

There is also a really good tubes for noobs thread here somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back