DT880 - How open is semi-open (with apologies to mosi)
May 1, 2006 at 5:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

peter312

100+ Head-Fier
Picking up on mosi's "DT990 - How open is open" thread, I see that the concensus seems to be that the "open" DT990's leak less sound than the Grado and Sennheiser ranges).

As the DT880's are described as "semi-open", how do they compare with "open" and "closed" headphones for sound leakage - are they half way between?

(I need to find a replacement set of cans for my HD595's which leaked too much sound for me and also did not have a clean and crisp enough treble).

Thanks
Peter

May 1, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 8
They're fully open in my opinion (i.e., not closed at all). It seems like we've disciussed this issue about the DT880's before (some time ago now) and I'm pretty sure that was the consensus.

I guess what Beyerdymanics was thinking is that since the grills have rather small holes in them (think in terms of a fine screen), then maybe they wouldn't leak as much as the typical open headphones. But in my experience they are very much open headphones. If someone else wears them next to me, I can hear just as much volume as I would if they were wearing HD600's.

May 1, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm not so bothered about insulating sound from the outside - I'm trying to reduce leakage to the outside. My old HD465's didn't leak sound anything like as badly as the HD595's - I'm told that the Grado's leak even more!

May 1, 2006 at 8:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by smeerkaas
My 880's don't leek as much sound to the outside as my ms-1's

The isolation is just as bad though

I would just call them 'open'

I notice more isolation with the DT880s over Grados. Its mostly with higher frequencies though.
However, they do seem to leak almost as bad as Grados.

May 3, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 8
I have a problem with my Grados, which is that they don't only leak sound (in, from the outside, that is), they actually seem to amplify some sounds - such as, for instance, a fridge or a computer. It could be a perception thing - perhaps because some frequencies are slightly damped, others sound louder. Whatever the cause, it's a bit annoying. Anybody with the new 880s have any experience like this?

May 3, 2006 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 8
Of the 15 or so headphones I've owned, the 880 is the only one my wife complained about as leaking too much sound.

May 3, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Hey no need to apologize
icon10.gif

Actually i was wondering myself, how open semi open is since i've not yet decided on the 990's or maybe something completely different from that.
But its nice to know that the 880 don't seem to differ much in terms of isolation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back