DT880, HD650, K701 Review
Mar 1, 2006 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 87

txa

Head-Fier
Hello fellow enthusiasts!

I've had my K701's for about a week now and I've waited to post just so I could clear my head and make some valid comparisons with the 880 and 650.

I haven't posted for a while but I had some extensive things to say about the 880, 650, and other phones in the past (HD595, K501, SA5000).

Out of all the phones I've been fortunate enough to own, the 2 remaining were the 650 and the 880, and I purchased the 701 with some expectations that it may be the best blend of each.

Let me recap my opinions of the 650 and 880 as well as my epectations for the 701 and how those expectations have been realized or not:

HD650 and DT880
- What I love about both of these phones is their soft delivery. They are both very articulate and revealing, yet very, very easy to listen to and non-fatiguing.

- As noted, the DT880 has a more prominent high-end, but it's out of the presence region and mostly accentuates the air and ambiance in the recording. With overly-bright recordings, it can be fatiguing at louder volumes, but it's much more a matter of the recording. Everything about the delivery of the 880 is soft, with a sense of air. At low volumes it's delicious, and it scales very well with good recordings.

- The 650 has a midrange to die for. Liquid, smooth, with 3D body and excellent integration with the rest of the spectrum. Much better midrange than the 880. Although it lacks the 880's air, it has good detail througout.

- The one drawback for me with the 650 has been it's abundance of bass. I guess it's both a pro and a con. With my 70's rock and some other, poorer recordings, the bass fullness has been a boon. With rhytymic jazz (lee ritenour, joyce cooling, rippingtons, etc.), the bass is TOO full. I much prefer the 880s here.

- Based on these observations, I've used the 880s mostly with my good recordings and the 650's with bass-light jazz and poorer recordings.

My expectation for the 701 was that it could marry these 2 phones into a best of all worlds. In some cases it did, in others, it has not.

--------------------------------------
The 701 is a happy marriage frequency-wise. It is the most neutral phone I have heard. Frequency-wise, IMO, it seems very much like an HD595, but with MUCH better articulation and space-between the notes. If you liked the 595 but listen to 650 due to articulation, you will be pleased with the 701.

The 701 has the greatest sense of balance everywhere. The bass seems to be a marriage between the DT880 and SA5000. Tighter than the 880, yet not quite as tight and powerful as SA5000. For the record, although I thought the SA5000 lacking in frequency integration and transition, I find it's bass to be the best in the business.

701 mids are liquid and well presented. But they do lack the 3D body that 650 provides. Edge Sennheiser.

Highs are detailed with good sense of air. Best blend of 880 and 650. Edge 701.

Biggest 701 con: This is a sharper, harder-hitting phone than the 880 or 650. Not as sharp as the SA5000 in the highs, but perhaps sharper in the presence region, which, at least for me, has me wanting for 880 and 650 traits. I am wondering if break-in is going to help with this.

As it stands, I've voted the 701 as best phone under $500, as it would be the one phone I would own if I could only own 1. And if break-in helps with the hard-hitting aspect, it will be. If not, I will probably sell it, and continue to own both 880 and 650 for their respective strengths.

For those who have owned the 701 for hundreds of hours or more, please let me know if this is the case. I will give them their due. :)

Thanks for reading! Hope this helps....

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #2 of 87
Thanks for the comparison! This was exactly what I was looking for - one person giving his comparison of all three. Obvioiusly, there's plenty of info comparing one against another, but looking at all three at once was very illuminating.

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 87
Thank you for the nice review... I'm sure a lot of us have been waiting for exactly what you wrote about!

Mar 1, 2006 at 4:57 PM Post #4 of 87
Nice review. It will probably not prevent me from getting all 3 cans though.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #5 of 87
txa, thanks for the write-up! This only strengthens my case for getting one of these wonderful headphones.

If possible, can you also comment on the comfort and build quality (materials used) of these headphones? Do the earpads and leatherband of the K701 soften after a while? How is the fit of the "ergonomic" earpads?

Mar 1, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 87
Nice review!! I feel the same way you do and that's why I sold the K701...Twice...
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 87
txa, thanks for your well written review! I agree on almost everything except for two things:

Quote:

The 650 has a midrange to die for. Liquid, smooth, with 3D body and excellent integration with the rest of the spectrum. Much better midrange than the 880.

To my ears the midrange itself isn't much better, but the main advantage is that it's more prominent.

Quote:

The one drawback for me with the 650 has been it's abundance of bass. I guess it's both a pro and a con. With my 70's rock and some other, poorer recordings, the bass fullness has been a boon. With rhytymic jazz (lee ritenour, joyce cooling, rippingtons, etc.), the bass is TOO full.

Maybe it's my high-level break in, maybe my loose fit... by all means I don't find the bass too prominent, not even in comparison with the (admittedly slightly leaner) K 701.

Quote:

Biggest 701 con: This is a sharper, harder-hitting phone than the 880 or 650. Not as sharp as the SA5000 in the highs, but perhaps sharper in the presence region, which, at least for me, has me wanting for 880 and 650 traits. I am wondering if break-in is going to help with this.
For those who have owned the 701 for hundreds of hours or more, please let me know if this is the case.

Yes, I'm glad to report that it's the case. I've had the same issue before my pair reached the 240-hour mark (or so). After 300 hours and some additional earpad massages (to soften them up and bring the drivers closer to the ears) it's close to an ideal characteristic. BTW, halving the cable length has helped with smoothing the sound and providing more high-end sparkle.

attachment.php

Mar 1, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #9 of 87
A fine review, TXA. Thanks. I am looking forward to listening with my K701.
580smile.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #10 of 87
Thanks for the review. I had my heart set on the 880s, but after reading a lot of reviews, I am a little concerned with their bass response. I listen to mostly rock, trance and electronic. Would they be right headphones for that type of music or would the 701s be better?

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
txa, thanks for the write-up! This only strengthens my case for getting one of these wonderful headphones.

If possible, can you also comment on the comfort and build quality (materials used) of these headphones? Do the earpads and leatherband of the K701 soften after a while? How is the fit of the "ergonomic" earpads?

Yes,

I find the 701 quite comfortable. A while back, a comfort comparison was made between the 501, 880, and 650, and I believe I contributed to that post by ranking them:

1. 880 - due to non-pressure on head and nice, comfy earpads
2. 501 - due to lightness and head adjustment mechanism, 2nd to 880 only because of material on ear pads
3. 650 - nice comfy earpads, but too much of a vice-grip on my head

With 701, my ranking is:

1. 701 - due to head adjustment mechanism and now velour on the pads
2. 880
3. 650

The 701 pads are firmer than the 880. The ultimate in comfort would be to have the 701 actually use the same pads in addition to similar-style pad covering. As it, the 701 is most comfortable for me. Especially the adjustment mechanism - so easy and non-clunky.

Build quality on 880 and 650 seems similarly good (in different ways), and outclasses the 501 a bit. With 701, this is no longer true. Build quality is on par with 650 and 880. Some are turned off by the white, and I thought I would be as well. But to see them in the real - I can say the pics don't do them justice. They are gorgeous headphones with a high-class finish and give me a strong sense of pride of ownership.

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ
txa, thanks for your well written review! I agree on almost everything except for two things:

To my ears the midrange itself isn't much better, but the main advantage is that it's more prominent.

Maybe it's my high-level break in, maybe my loose fit... by all means I don't find the bass too prominent, not even in comparison with the (admittedly slightly leaner) K 701.

Yes, I'm glad to report that it's the case. I've had the same issue before my pair reached the 240-hour mark (or so). After 300 hours and some additional earpad massages (to soften them up and bring the drivers closer to the ears) it's close to an ideal characteristic. BTW, halving the cable length has helped with smoothing the sound and providing more high-end sparkle.

attachment.php

Hi Jazz,

Thanks for the kind words. I always appreciate your reviews as well. The comment about midrange on 650 being MUCH better than 880 is probably too strong. I agree, the 650 midrange is more present and has more weight. But the midrange in the 880, when compared to the rest of the 880 balance, is quite nice. I enjoy the 880 immensely and prior to my recent 701 purchase, was the phone I listened to the most.

On my bassier jazz recordings, the 650 bass was something I could not tame no matter the break-in or equipment used. I mated a Corda Prehead Mk 1 ( a leaner-sounding amp) with a Musical Fidelity 308 CD player, and that was the best I could get the 650's with equipment available to me. Even then, I had a sense that if there could be a lower quantity of bass (keep the rich lower, mid-range), the phone would just sing. I've never tried it balanced and SACD lover notes that it makes a world of difference.

I'm glad to hear the 701s will soften up throughout the break-in. I'm intending to keep them for quite a while and give them a chance to sing.

Mar 1, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #13 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traumamc
Thanks for the review. I had my heart set on the 880s, but after reading a lot of reviews, I am a little concerned with their bass response. I listen to mostly rock, trance and electronic. Would they be right headphones for that type of music or would the 701s be better?

Hi Traumamc,

I feel the 880 bass response is quite good. In quantity, it is very similar to the K701 and Sony SA5000. However it is slower - and I don't mean this in a bad way, but it is softer hitting and lingers ever-so-slightly more, giving it a very appealing feel for some recordings. Also, because of it's balance (and this can be said of the 701 as well), lower bass stands out more than mid-bass. So even though the HD650 has more bass, more articulate bass, and harder-hitting bass, it conveys less low-bass presence.

Everyone is different when it comes to what sounds good. For me, much rock sounds best on the HD650, because the 650 tames those screaming highs that accompany rock and roll. Others may be bored with this presentation, but I find it makes it so that I can crank the music up, immerse myself in a warm sound, and not get a headache.

For trance and electronic, I think the 701 would be best. This music can be very well recorded and the 701 would provide a great platform. 650 would be good too though.

If you like a brighter presentation and aren't suseptible to head-aches with louder, brighter music - I think the bass in the 880 would be adequate and you would very much enjoy the music. For me, I use the 880 with well recorded jazz and with all music when I want to listen at lower volumes.

Mar 1, 2006 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by txa
For me, much rock sounds best on the HD650, because the 650 tames those screaming highs that accompany rock and roll. Others may be bored with this presentation, but I find it makes it so that I can crank the music up, immerse myself in a warm sound, and not get a headache.

Exactly why I enjoy HD650 so much! Thanks for the review, txa, it's eerie how your impressions mirror mine. I guess geniuses think alike
biggrin.gif

Mar 1, 2006 at 10:51 PM Post #15 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by txa
Hi Traumamc,

I feel the 880 bass response is quite good. In quantity, it is very similar to the K701 and Sony SA5000. However it is slower - and I don't mean this in a bad way, but it is softer hitting and lingers ever-so-slightly more, giving it a very appealing feel for some recordings. Also, because of it's balance (and this can be said of the 701 as well), lower bass stands out more than mid-bass. So even though the HD650 has more bass, more articulate bass, and harder-hitting bass, it conveys less low-bass presence.

Everyone is different when it comes to what sounds good. For me, much rock sounds best on the HD650, because the 650 tames those screaming highs that accompany rock and roll. Others may be bored with this presentation, but I find it makes it so that I can crank the music up, immerse myself in a warm sound, and not get a headache.

For trance and electronic, I think the 701 would be best. This music can be very well recorded and the 701 would provide a great platform. 650 would be good too though.

If you like a brighter presentation and aren't suseptible to head-aches with louder, brighter music - I think the bass in the 880 would be adequate and you would very much enjoy the music. For me, I use the 880 with well recorded jazz and with all music when I want to listen at lower volumes.

Thanks for your impressions.

Other than trance and electronic, which genres of music would you prefer the K701 to your other phones in their current state? Also would you include more genres and if so, which ones if the phones "mellowed out" as is believed to happen after around 300 hours of use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back