DT880 detail
Jul 7, 2008 at 10:10 AM Post #17 of 100
Amazing how different people hear the stuff. I really dislike the DT880's, as it sounded shrill and sharp to me, where the k701 gives me the same 'high details
tongue.gif
' but at a much more natural way. For instance the LOTR-soundtrack (The Bridge Of Khazad Dum), I hear much more with a K701 than I did with a burned-in DT880, this is all out of my MKIVse tube amp. Further more the cymbals on the DT880 were deafening.

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:43 AM Post #18 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing how different people hear the stuff.

Indeed. You love your SsssssR325, but get bleeding ears from the gentle DT880.
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #19 of 100
woodied sr325i that is
wink.gif
, the old 325 also made me cry
biggrin.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 11:35 AM Post #21 of 100
Yeah the MKIV's with M8100 mullards are known for their shrillness
wink.gif
anyway, I'v found out long ago that the beyer's are not for me, to compare them with stax is to me
redface.gif
!

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #23 of 100
I own the 325i's..... and they didn't suddenly fall out of the sky
redface.gif
I like them, but for different purposes then my K701'. The 325i woodied really isn't that horribly bright anymore, but they are still unlistenable for Oasis, but heaven for Dire straits...

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:46 PM Post #24 of 100
And I thought I was asking a relatively simple question!

Seems how much detail is as subjective as everything else around here.

Jul 7, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #25 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the 325i's..... and they didn't suddenly fall out of the sky
redface.gif

Such sort of weather would be troublesome for Grado's market prices
biggrin.gif

Brightness or sheer amount of highs propably isn't the only share of an "ear bleeding" fon. There's also an "emotional thing" that is hard to be nailed down. My CD3000 had much more highs than my MS2i, anyhow, it was the agressive MS2i which was too shrill, and not the bright but somewhat tender old Sony.

Same thing with the DT880 - bright, but very soft and gentle.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:41 PM Post #26 of 100
I'm always amazed at people calling the DT880 bright. They're among the bassiest headphones I own. The only headphones I own that have deeper bass are a Yamaha HP-1 and Stax SR-Gamma. Admittedly, I'm not a bass head and wouldn't think of getting something like the DT770.

Back to the OP's question. I own a DT831. I'm not sure how they compare to the DT931. From the little I've read the DT931 is probably a step up but I don't really know. The only person I know of who's had both is Fitz. I don't know if he ever owned a DT880.

On my vintage NAD 3155 amp, the DT831 and DT880 sound remarkably similar. I've only done a casual comparison, so I can't go into details. Maybe I can do that tonight or tomorrow night. I can say, I'd take my Stax over either for detail and just sheer pleasurable listening. They Yamaha HP-1 is a better headphone for me as well. As someone said on the ortho thread, the Yamaha has 80% of the Stax detail and 25% of the price.

Before I got the NAD, I was using portable amps. I was using the portables plugged into the wall, not with a battery. The DT831 sounded a lot worse than the DT880 when driven with the portable amp. They had almost no bass at all. The portable just didn't have the power to produce bass with them. It can with the DT880. The bass was a bit sloppy, but it was there.

Jul 8, 2008 at 2:11 AM Post #27 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm always amazed at people calling the DT880 bright. They're among the bassiest headphones I own.

brightness and bassiness don't have anything to do with each other.
a headphone can be bassy and bright at the same time. for example...the dt990.

Jul 8, 2008 at 4:36 AM Post #28 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think you are on to something here...many audiophiles equal high frequency response with detail and low frequency response as mud. Them audiophiles expect tight, less than accurate bass and extremely brittle high-end. Then they call that "flat". Makes me laugh everytime !

Mmmm... disagreed.

Detail and brightness often (unfortunately) go hand in hand... but not always. If a system has a proper synergy of components and cables, the detail can exist without a "brittle" high-end.

Also, for me, detail does not always equate to high frequency extension, but rather to ability to retrieve certain subtle nuances in the original recording (such as spatial cues, lip movements, etc.), and accurately reproduce them. These nuances do not always exist in the higher frequency region.

That being said, the DT-880's are detailed, and can be overly bright if not paired with the proper equipment. If the right gear exists upstream, however, the harshness simply doesn't exist, but all of the wonderful detail is still there. Me likey.
biggrin.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #29 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, for me, detail does not always equate to high frequency extension, but rather to ability to retrieve certain subtle nuances in the original recording (such as spatial cues, lip movements, etc.), and accurately reproduce them. These nuances do not always exist in the higher frequency region.

I totally agree with this!

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:29 AM Post #30 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
brightness and bassiness don't have anything to do with each other.
a headphone can be bassy and bright at the same time. for example...the dt990.

I've never heard the DT990 which is probably why the 2 don't go together for me. I think of Grados when I think bright. I've heard others that I can't think of off the top of my head. I tend to hate headphones described as bright. I think of the treble emphasized over the mids, or at least overemphasized treble. These don't fit the DT880. IMO it's a pretty well balanced headphone with nothing really overemphasized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back