DT880 - An old favorite:)
Feb 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM Post #31 of 40
Quote:
Thanks for the input.  I've read that the 600 version really isn't that much more difficult to drive than the 250 (only marginally so).  I'm not sure if that's blatantly false information, but I've seen it repeated many times.

If only everyone could agree on this stuff and there was one absolutely correct answer to the questions around here
tongue.gif

To quantify, the 600 Ohm version needs more voltage by about 5:3 ratio (~4 dB) to sound equally as loud.

Feb 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #33 of 40
I've been all around the spectrum (grado, AKG, Sennheiser) I never got a chance to hear these cans.  Definitely on my wishlist to listen to.

Feb 8, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #35 of 40
Skyline 315: The DT880 600 ohm with a Bottlehead Crack tube amp (an amp that loves high impedance headphones) is a fine combination, even without the Speedball upgrade. Replacing the stock 6080 power tube with a 5998 or 7236 makes it even better. Plenty of power, quiet, and beautiful sound. The kit is still only $219 (but it goes up to $279 this Sunday, 2/12). I'd never built a kit before I got mine. It took me about three days to assemble and turned out great. Highest recommendation. 

DavidMahler: Nice avatar. The composer's Symphony No. 4 is still my favorite (the recording with Elly Ameling, Haitink, and the Concertgebouw Orch. is a great one). Also, I think your capsule comparison of the differences between the DT880 600 ohm and K-701 is generally true. The only thing I have to add is that if the recording has good bass, it will come through with the K-701; it can be visceral.

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #36 of 40
I love my DT 880 600ohm through a Schiit Valhalla. I also have a very nice solid state integrated amp, but I prefer the tube amp as it gives a little warmth that helps the 880 in my opinion. I recently sold my HF2s because in the end I just found the DT 880 more versatile and even with rock I really like them. I will certainly miss the HF2s, but the sound signature of the 880 is quite balanced and will keep me happy for a few more years. Who knows what I will look at next. What a great hobby!

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #37 of 40

Quote:
I love my DT 880 600ohm through a Schiit Valhalla. I also have a very nice solid state integrated amp, but I prefer the tube amp as it gives a little warmth that helps the 880 in my opinion. I recently sold my HF2s because in the end I just found the DT 880 more versatile and even with rock I really like them. I will certainly miss the HF2s, but the sound signature of the 880 is quite balanced and will keep me happy for a few more years. Who knows what I will look at next. What a great hobby!

That really doesn't help my attempt at resisting hitting the "buy now" button for the Valhalla...I'm looking at it for that exact reason, to add some tasty warmth to my 880's. Im running my 600ohm's with an objective o2 I built and it's a nice neutral sound, "wire to gain" as I've heard. Plenty of volume.

Also, I just got a pair of the premium's where as I've always gone with the pro models for the cheaper price. I really like the clamping pressure of the premiums. Not that the pro's were vice-like or anything (hd280s!!), but the premiums just sort of kiss the sides of your head. This in combo with the lightweight of the cans, velour ear pads, and nicely padded head band make for the dang comfortable cans.

Beyers were the first phones I really dropped some cash on and I'm glad to keep giving them my money! Pretty good customer service as well, just takes some patience.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #39 of 40

Quote:
Hi,

Is there a way to check of what impedance a pair of DT-880 is? I've bought mine and just want to make sure they're the 250ohm version.
Thanks.

I've got the 250 as well, and I found nothing on the headphones to indicate it.  I believe the 600 ohm version has it marked on the plug.

If you look on the box they came in, though, you should find all three versions listed, and your version should be checked.

Beyond that I'm sure you could measure it somehow, but I'm not really familiar with the process.

Apr 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #40 of 40

Quote:
Any opinion on these with the Audinist  HUD-MX1?

I ended up going with this pairing (Audinst + 250 ohm verison) and have been VERY pleased.  

In a month or two I'm going to try out the Schiit Asgard and use my Audinst for the DAC portion, but for now I'm really enjoying what I've got.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back