DT880 + [amp] + Revo = overkill?
Aug 25, 2003 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

dMoog

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking about buying a pair of DT880s rather cheaply and hooking them up to my computer's soundcard (M-audio Revolution). I'm also planning to buy a Corda HA-1 MkII for use with this setup. I'll be using the setup mainly for lossless audio and such...

Would this whole idea be an overkill for the source I'm currently using? Is it a good idea at all? Or perhaps it's just the MkII that's overkill and I maybe should go for a plain HA-1 instead?

What do you guys think?

Aug 25, 2003 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by dMoog
Would this whole idea be an overkill for the source I'm currently using?

Maybe... but it will surely offer you greater pleasure than any cheaper, less musical headphone. The reason why I don't regularly use my own DT 880 with my soundcard is rather its lower efficiency compared to the HD 600, my standard computer headphone (connected to the line out, which is louder than the headphone out!) than its more reveiling character, as well as the fact that I like to leave the DT 880 connected with my main setup. Currently I'm listening to MP3s through the DT 880 - and it sounds great! I'm sure it will sound even better with the HA-1 MkII (DT 880 and HA-2 are a fantastic match).

peacesign.gif

Aug 25, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm currently using Grado SR-80 straight out of the soundcard. Will the difference be mind-blowing?

Still need more comments on the amp situation though...

Aug 25, 2003 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 11
i don't think it's going to be overkill. but then again i'm using grado rs-1s with a meta42 out of my m-audio sonica theatre. i for one think you'll hear and appreciate what a good amp will do.

Aug 25, 2003 at 8:24 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by dMoog
I'm currently using Grado SR-80 straight out of the soundcard. Will the difference be mind-blowing?

No, not if you like the sound of your SR-80 as it is (upfront presentation, tendentially sharp highs...). To me the DT 880 makes a great difference, but I don't like the Grado sound too much. But I'm realizing now that your concern is the difference an amp makes...

If the DT 880 harmonises with your soundcard's line out (in my case it's loud enough to my ears)... well, to be honest: probably all you gain by switching an amp into the signal path is a smoother, more colorful sound at the expense of accuracy and dynamics. There is no neutral amp. But you may like the sound better anyway... And one benefit from the amp is unquestionable: the greater volume headroom.

peacesign.gif

Aug 26, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #6 of 11
How about if I put it like this:
Will I notice the difference between HA-1 and HA-1 MkII?

Aug 26, 2003 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 11
I owned the HA-1 and now have the HA-2. There's no contest: the HA-2 sounds much better. Tuberoller has reported the HA-1 MkII to be much closer to the HA-2 than to the HA-1 (and that's what Jan sais, too).

peacesign.gif

Aug 26, 2003 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 11
I'll notice the difference even though my source is an M-audio Revolution?

(Sorry if I seem picky, but I want to make sure I'm not wasting my money
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2003 at 1:19 AM Post #9 of 11
Don't bother with the DT880s. Just get some efficient phones (like grados or AT's) and use them directly out of the revo's line out.

Aug 28, 2003 at 2:34 PM Post #10 of 11
I already have SR-80s. They're connected to a CHA47 and I like the sound of that setup. The reason I want 880s and an other amp is that I want to try something different.
Also, I won't be using the 880s only together with the Revo. I have an old stand alone CD-player I'm planning on using them with.

Aug 24, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #11 of 11
Okay, i'll come right out and say it. DT880's are a slice of suck pie. They didn't do anything right no matter what amp i tried them with at the socal meet.

If you are looking to spend around 250$ for new cans, just go with HD600's or SR-325's. High-end philips are nice too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back