DT880 600Ohm/250Ohm considering that I'm using a Total Bithead
Jul 21, 2010 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

fraggerz

100+ Head-Fier
Yes....I know that this thread has been started countless times but I want a specific question answered.

Should i get the DT880 250Ohms or 600Ohms?
I've read through a few threads and all of them said that the 600Ohms sound much better than the 250Ohms in terms of bass and treble. 
Due to my low budget, I currently only have a total bithead which FWIR can only power up to 300Ohms.
If thats so should i get the 250Ohm?
I do have an alternative though, I can probably sell of my TBH and get a better amp.
If thats so what amp would do the 600Ohm justice for under $200.

Thanks
Theodore

Jul 21, 2010 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 26
no experience at all with the total bithead sorry but i am using a little dot mkII, technically an entry level amp, to power up the 600 ohm beyer dt880. save yourself some money and go direct to the 600 ohm version. and just buy a better amp along the way :)

using the same mkII for both the 250 and 600 ohm versions, the sound was better on the 600 ohm version. so go for it 
smile.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #4 of 26

Quote:

DT880 600Ohm/250Ohm considering that I'm using a Total Bithead

Your question is a bit like: Should I get a nice and tender girl that loves me, or rather an ordinary one that doesn't care - I've only got a small japanese car, and I've read nice girls aren't able to sit in there 
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 21, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #8 of 26
Thanks for the replys guys

Here's a noob question......what is the input cable needed for say amps like Little Dot MK3?
if i'm listening from my desktop, what cables should i get?
mini to RCA or usb to RCA

I'm really new to this full-sized thing so bear with me:)

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #9 of 26
that would be mini to rca using your soundcard audio / speaker / headphone out jack, or via the built-in motherboard soundcard audio / speaker / headphone out jack, whichever you are currently using. the mkIII does not have usb input 
smile.gif

Quote:
Thanks for the replys guys

Here's a noob question......what is the input cable needed for say amps like Little Dot MK3?
if i'm listening from my desktop, what cables should i get?
mini to RCA or usb to RCA

I'm really new to this full-sized thing so bear with me:)

Jul 21, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #10 of 26
USB's generally carrying digital data. RCA is carrying analogue. You can't run a USB cable into an amp, because it'll have the wrong type of signal.

If you're going from a soundcard to an external amp, you'll generally want a 3.5mm to RCA. Make sure you get a stereo cable. Most electronics places that sell cables will also stock 3.5mm (mono) to RCA. These cables are fail. If it doesn't specifically say stereo, check that the 3.5mm plug has 2 black rings on it (this separates the L, R and ground channels).

If you're running to an external DAC, then to the amp, you'll need RCA to RCA.

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #12 of 26
How does the DT880/600 go with the MKIII?

Really tempted to get it:p

How's the price from this seller?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503276/fs-little-dot-mk-iii-tubes-galore

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How's the price from this seller?

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503276/fs-little-dot-mk-iii-tubes-galore

Awesome

Jul 22, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 26

Quote:
Get the 600ohmer!

Agreed. They are not that much harder to drive than the 250s but sound way better. You can always upgrade your amp later.
evil_smiley.gif

Otherwise, you'll be upgrading the 250s and the amp later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back