DT880 [600 Ω] arrived
Jul 3, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #16 of 61
You picked a fine phone.

As you're gushing over the wonderful detail and soundspace, perhaps you could also elaborate on any "sweetness" of tone. One of the reasons why I sold my 2003 DT880s was because it lacked the K701's sweetness (though I loved the Beyer's sense of space). To my ears, it seemed a bit "dry."

I've not heard the new DT880s, so I'm curious. I know the sound quality has to be nice, but what about "sweetness" in sound? If you don't know, perhaps another listener could comment. Thanks!

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:04 AM Post #17 of 61
XDXD, welcome to the Beyer's big family.

Jul 3, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #20 of 61
Argg......I await mine with tremendous excitement! I called DHL first thing this morning and I believe they have been released from customs, so should be out for delivery this afternoon (holding thumbs and touch wood). High-res eye-candy shall follow when they arrive
wink.gif

BTW....how much time do you guys think it will take to reach its optimum? 100 hours enough?

Cheers,
X

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #21 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You picked a fine phone.

As you're gushing over the wonderful detail and soundspace, perhaps you could also elaborate on any "sweetness" of tone. One of the reasons why I sold my 2003 DT880s was because it lacked the K701's sweetness (though I loved the Beyer's sense of space). To my ears, it seemed a bit "dry."

I've not heard the new DT880s, so I'm curious. I know the sound quality has to be nice, but what about "sweetness" in sound? If you don't know, perhaps another listener could comment. Thanks!

"Dry" is also how I'd describe the DT880's, and that's a big compliment in my book - I really like that type of sound. I dunno, when I put them on and listened I just felt "This is the can I've been looking for all along".
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #22 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats!!! Seems to be a bit of a Beyer explosion here at headfi!If you cants post pics (stick them under a lamp for god sake) then can you tell us your color scheme.

If I stick them under a lamp it gets the same effect as when using flash, the colors are way off (as you'll see in a post below).

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #24 of 61
Okay, here are the pics! The camera isn't that happening (extremely sensitive to lighting, so even with all lamps in the room on I had to use flash), but you get an idea anyway.
These are with silver velours, I also have the leather pads but haven't put them on yet. I wanna get used to velour first. ^^

880_2.jpg

Jul 3, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #27 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have waa-ay better separation with the DT880's than the W5000's. I'm hearing details I've never heard before and even in dense distorted rock they separate the instruments beautifully (but not "too much").

I've heard the DT880-'05 several times. Amps were the Corda Opera and Prehead MkII SE, source a Lavry DA10.

Separation and details were not better than the W5000 matched with either the AT-HA5000 or Raptor. I don't think there are many dynamic headphones with separation and details better than the W5000.

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #28 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the DT880-'05 several times. Amps were the Corda Opera and Prehead MkII SE, source a Lavry DA10.

Separation and details were not better than the W5000 matched with either the AT-HA5000 or Raptor. I don't think there are many dynamic headphones with separation and details better than the W5000.

Amen to that.
New toy excitement will wear off and he'll get back to W5000.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #29 of 61
LebowskiOpinion.jpg

tongue.gif

With the DT880 I'm hearing details I've never heard before on albums.. and they're clear as day. So far I'm more pleased with the DT880 than the W5000. Besides giving me more detail and separation, they're just more fun to listen to.

Jul 3, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #30 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by wovenhand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

With the DT880 I'm hearing details I've never heard before on albums.. and they're clear as day. So far I'm more pleased with the DT880 than the W5000. Besides giving me more detail and separation, they're just more fun to listen to.

LOL, nice one.
biggrin.gif

But seriously, after I got DT880 I stopped using all my other cans. And after a month or so switched back to HD650 to discover how much I was actually missing. DT880 has very specific, bone dry signature, that is exciting at first because of exceptional accentuation of details, but over time starts feeling a bit unnatural. Then I need a break with something that has some meat left on that bone, like HD650 or W5000 which is for me like a golden medium between two.
But of course, tastes vary. Happy that you like them, they are truly very exceptional cans. I withdrew my pair from FS twice, just couldn't part with them.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back