DT880 32ohm vs 250ohm
Feb 11, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 7
I would also love to hear opinions of the 32 ohm version. There is one single review on amazon.com and he acts like he liked them way better then the 250 version he had before.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 7
The 32-ohm version possibly doesn't work well with certain amps that should power it fine. There is at least one report that I have heard from someone that the the 32-ohm version was having distortion or other similar kinds of sounds when it shouldn't have been happening. It's possible the phones were defective, but personally I would avoid that version until more was known about that. The 250 version is not that hard to drive, so imo why risk it.

Feb 11, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 32-ohm version possibly doesn't work well with certain amps that should power it fine. There is at least one report that I have heard from someone that the the 32-ohm version was having distortion or other similar kinds of sounds when it shouldn't have been happening. It's possible the phones were defective, but personally I would avoid that version until more was known about that. The 250 version is not that hard to drive, so imo why risk it.

When you say the 250ohm version is not hard to drive would it work with the Astro mixamp? I recently purchased it.

Feb 11, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #5 of 7
Most people just prefer to not use an amp. 32ohm is just economically friendly with anything you connect it to(portable devices, sound card in your pc, traveling etc...) Despite the DT880's being a bit bulky for portability, their comfort is really top notch for anyone not to resist !

The 32ohm series will sound great w/out the amp (but the amp would most definitely still benefit)

The 250ohm is usually for standard applications and sound superb for the avg user with the avg equipment

The 600 impedance version of the beyers are supposedly for the 'high end audiophiles', but i really think people with the adequate amping should really opt for this version. I can't really comment on the DT990/250 vs DT990/600 comparison since i never tried 250version of the 990's, but when comparing my 990/600's to my 880/250's, the difference was substantial and pretty distinguishable to my ears.

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by High Fidelity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does the 32ohm version sell for more than the 250ohm version. I thought the 250ohm was superior. Is it supply & demand? Are the 32ohm newer?

You really should use the search feature on this forum, this topic has been endlessly discussed...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back