DT770's lost bass
Mar 2, 2010 at 7:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

spikyho

Head-Fier
Hey guys Im having a problem with my DT770's. A while back I thought I had blown the drivers in my headphones because the bass response had gone waaay down for no reason. I didnt want to pay to have them repaired so I just left em on my shelf for about a year. I busted them out today, and I think there may be a connection issue rather than blown drivers. Is there any way that a poor connection somehwere in the headphone could cause the bass response of both of the drivers to suffer?

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 8
if some wires are shorting, you could have some sort of phase inversion..you could try to measure the impedance of both drivers on the jack w/ a multimeter, they should both read pretty much the same value.

Mar 2, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 8
word, ill check it out. It could just be that I remember them having more bass than they do now. Having subs my car probably ruined these badboys for me

Mar 31, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #5 of 8
Sorry to revive an old thread, but one of my buddies has been experiencing the same issue with his. They are the pre-2005 80ohm version and bass has less impact when comparing to my M50's; although, still more than the HD598's. I'm a little perplexed since both drivers sound similar to the other and they still sound quite good..
Any ideas?

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 8
The DT770 emphasizes mainly the sub-bass (and even that not as much as some other headphones), while the upper bass is actually slightly less than neutral. So, with some music it may sound like not having particularly much bass. But the M50 also has lower impedance and higher sensitivity, so it is louder from the same source, giving the impression of more bass; that should also be taken into account.

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #7 of 8
That was actually the first thing I noticed (they actually sound like they're harder to drive than my HD650's, although that's only speculation by volume). When I was comparing the two, the M50's still have more punch and rumble, after adjusting to similar loudness. It boggles my mind because when playing with the 05+ model, I distinctly remember the bass having a prominent liquid presence to them, where people have said the <05 Pro models have more testure and rumble than the newer Pro's. Could flimsy cables cause alteration in sound? I would imagine it would cut out before losing volume..

Apr 1, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #8 of 8
If it is a very old headphone, it may have worn ear pads and less clamping force, that could explain some loss of bass; a good seal is needed to maximize the bass response. Also, it depends on the type of music, I found that only if there is a lot of bass at 35-50 Hz does the DT770 Pro become really bass heavy.
Here is an attempt I made at creating a frequency response graph for the current (bought in 2011) 250 Ohm Pro version:

And a set of old graphs I found that include the pre-2005 DT770 version (unknown impedance):

Users who are viewing this thread

Back