DT770 vs HP100
Jul 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Patrick Bateman

New Head-Fier
Hi
I'm in the market for some new closed headphones for mostly music listening, maybe also for films. My tastes are mostly trance, but I occasionally listen to indie and rock music. I'm looking in the ~£150 range and after considerable research narrowed it down to the beyerdynamic dt770 and the sound magic hp100. Does anyone here have any experience of these headphones and could recommend one over the other for my tastes? The main issues for me are comfort, sound isolation, build quality and of course sound quality. Would appreciate any advice on these or any other headphones you guys recommend. Also does anyone know which version of the dt770 would be best for use with a Nexus 4, I don't have an amp as of now but may get a portable amp in the future if there is a big difference in sound quality. 
Many thanks :)

Jul 2, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #2 of 4
One reviewer on Head-fi liked the sound of the SoundMagic HP100 over the DT770.
Also nice is that the HP100 will still function decently without using an external add-on amp.
(But the reviewer said the add-on amp. helped the HP100 sound quality)

Jul 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 4
I can't really recall DT770 sounds, but HP100 is most similar to AKG K550 with noticeably more punchy bass, more forward mid and better timbre across the spectrum. Beyer has an edge on build quality (though HP100 is no slouch either) but they clamp a tad more than HP100. 

They sound fantastic straight out of handphone jack, and even better with the righ source and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back