DT770 vs. HD595
Aug 8, 2007 at 12:57 AM Post #16 of 30
i meant ppl in the house, and the walls are composed of studs sandwiched by 1/8" plywood (not sheetrock, i guess its one of those things you will only find in a state like CA). I can hear my sister clearly if she talks at anything above a normal talking voice. I now realize how dumb that question was, with headphones being so close to my ears, what is loud for me is barely hearable 5 feet away... (i just tested it by putting my headphones down after adjuysting the volume). Sometimes I ask things without thinking first...

Aug 8, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #17 of 30
^ not a stupid question. my ksc75s leak sound out even at normal listening volumes so that someone in the same room ~7ft away can hear faint noises.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:20 AM Post #18 of 30
I've tried the 595s, the DT770s, and the Audio-Technica ATH-A900s, all of which are pretty well regarded. I was able to directly compare the A900s and HD595s, and I preferred the former's sound. I currently have the DT770s and I did not like the stock sound all that much, but after modding them they sound a lot better. The A900s can be modded in the same manner as well.

Comfort-wise, I liked the A900s, but neither of the other two are uncomfortable by any means, and really is probably personal preferance more than anything. I wouldn't worry too much about other people hearing you through walls, but at the same time that might be something to consider (blocking other noise). I didn't find either the A900s or DT770s to block all sound, I can usually hear the phone unless the volume is up and I'm concentrating on something.

They are all pretty good and I don't think you'd be disappointed with any one of them.

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:53 AM Post #19 of 30
All 3, DT770Pro80, A900, HD595 are great cans. Its like picking from a BMW, Audi, or Mercedes. They are all sweet just look and perform slightly different then one another. On that note get the A900's! Why you ask... well I think its the best of both worlds, good bass, soundstage, comfortable, and doesn't need an amp. The HD595 and DT770Pro80s really do benefit from an amp. The 770s have a lot of bass, A LOT. You may or may not like that. HD595 is a great all around can, it does everything well including gaming too. So its a tough call, I say buy all 3 haha bye bye wallet.

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthR6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All 3, DT770Pro80, A900, HD595 are great cans. Its like picking from a BMW, Audi, or Mercedes. They are all sweet just look and perform slightly different then one another. On that note get the A900's! Why you ask... well I think its the best of both worlds, good bass, soundstage, comfortable, and doesn't need an amp. The HD595 and DT770Pro80s really do benefit from an amp. The 770s have a lot of bass, A LOT. You may or may not like that. HD595 is a great all around can, it does everything well including gaming too. So its a tough call, I say buy all 3 haha bye bye wallet.

OOOOOOOO, which one is the bimmer, i love bimmers (e46 m3 FTW). lol, i jk.

anywho, with an amp, is the bass on the hd595 decent?

Aug 8, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #21 of 30
i recently got a dt770/80 (i'd been considering the dt770 and hd595 for a bit, but decided i wanted a closed headphone so that made my decision easy), and my input on it is any combination of the following:

the dt770/80s need an amp
my integrated sound card cant supply jack for current
burning in the dt770/80s make a huge difference

i haven't burned em in yet, and i've only tried using them once out of my computer (i dont have an amp), which has the integrated alc880 or something like that (one of the HD ones, i forget which one exactly though). since it's integrated sound, it may be weaker than a stand alone sound card, which could be the source of my displeasure. others have said burning them in makes a difference too, but unless it makes a big difference i'm still down to the first two options.

edit - after going back and actually listening to them a bit (my initial try i just listened for five seconds, said What, and took em off to wait for my amp parts to arrive), they dont sound that bad, but they're kinda sibilant / harsh. which is exactly what other members said would go away with burn-in, so maybe these don't need an amp. although i'm a little underwhelmed by the bass (it's there, but nowhere near what i was expecting), hopefully that's due to the lack of an amp.

oh well, burn-in time.

Aug 8, 2007 at 4:31 AM Post #22 of 30
Haven't heard the 595's, but a couple thoughts on the 770-80s, which I used to own...they really have a pretty ridiculously V-shaped sound signature. Tons of bass, good treble, practically no mids. Also, you absolutely do need an amp to make them sound good. They'll work out of a moderately-powerful integrated sound card, but they'll sound pretty weak. Since you said you were going to get an amp, you should be fine, but don't let others talk you out of getting an amp to go with them if you decide to go for them. Personally, I kinda liked them as a nice-sounding, extremely comfy, isolating can, but the lack of a strong midrange presence, plus the fact that they really needed a strong (read: non-cheapo-portable) amp to sound good (I wanted to have them as a semi-portable phone for cold days...silly I know, but I thought they'd double as earmuffs
wink.gif
) bugged me enough so that I eventually decided to sell them.

Aug 8, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #23 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by spiftacu1ar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OOOOOOOO, which one is the bimmer, i love bimmers (e46 m3 FTW). lol, i jk.

anywho, with an amp, is the bass on the hd595 decent?

With amp HD595 is a helluva can. Now it won't/can't match the bass in the DT770, but what HP can under $200? (nuthin). But the DT770 bass is boomy. Where as the bass on the HD595 is tight, perhaps not as punchy but much more detailed and smooth. The thing is... the HD595 whips the DT770 in the mids and highs. HD595 has greater detail and soundstage is very good on both. HD595 is a bit brighter then the DT770 and well theres that bass again on the DT770. OH did I mention the bass on the DT770... I think you get the strong points of each HP now. Its
smily_headphones1.gif
or
basshead.gif

ps I think the HD595 is the bimmer (refined), DT770 the mercedes (sloppy handling but powerful), and the A900 the Audi (oh just fun to drive).
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #24 of 30
ok, hd595 is still on the top of my list (high are important to me, more so than bass. I like the tick of the srum stick on the ride/high hat), but i decided to change the amp i am getting based on another thread i made. I am now going to get the goVIbe 6 instead of the 0HA-REP. THey tell me the GoVIbe is better... (thats 100% of people who replied). ANy rejections, please holler.

btw: this is how i rank those cars (note this has nothing to do with the cans):

1. bimmer
2. audi
5. Mercedes (you could say im anti mercedes) They're just very ugly posmobiles with huge ass engines and lots of leather (did i mention they're ugly?)

Aug 8, 2007 at 2:07 PM Post #25 of 30
I want to add the dt770 dont require an amp. I used mine out of an xfi and logitech z5500 speakers/with control pod i plug into my control pod not sure how much juice these phones are getting. but i think they would greatly improve with an amp. the dt770 for games were endorphin pumpers like no other ive heard. the mids are recessed thats why i think the sehns might be better for most people they might be a better all around stock can or another can of your choice. but for games only.. i would go dt770 and maybe later darth them and they will sound 100 times better. while the dt770s were pretty good they have to get modded to sound good but then they blow oother top cans away ive been told. just trying to help...

Aug 8, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #26 of 30
The HD595 don't require an amp either. But both the HD595 and DT770Pro80's sound a lot better w/ an amp. Whereas the A900 doesn't really sound any better w/ an amp.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:40 PM Post #27 of 30
Agree in the first paragraph
And yes, it need an amp to sound decent with an integrated sound card (it is weaker for the DT770 in the bass and the sound is tiny in general )...
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soymilk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the dt770/80s need an amp
my integrated sound card cant supply jack for current
burning in the dt770/80s make a huge difference

i haven't burned em in yet, and i've only tried using them once out of my computer (i dont have an amp), which has the integrated alc880 or something like that (one of the HD ones, i forget which one exactly though). since it's integrated sound, it may be weaker than a stand alone sound card, which could be the source of my displeasure. others have said burning them in makes a difference too, but unless it makes a big difference i'm still down to the first two options.

edit - after going back and actually listening to them a bit (my initial try i just listened for five seconds, said What, and took em off to wait for my amp parts to arrive), they dont sound that bad, but they're kinda sibilant / harsh. which is exactly what other members said would go away with burn-in, so maybe these don't need an amp. although i'm a little underwhelmed by the bass (it's there, but nowhere near what i was expecting), hopefully that's due to the lack of an amp.

oh well, burn-in time.

Yeah i am in agree an almost all minus in that the Dt770pros doesn't had mids. It had mids but are subdued a little by the bass. But when you use the voice preset in Winrip; the mids sound 10x better. A LOT clearer and prominent (as if it were his strong point), sound how if it were another headphone...; and 3x-5x better with the soft preset and 1.5x better in the rock preset (in this mode the bass is punchier and tighter). Obviously my amp help a lot (in that result) in the sound Quality and my Xmod and the Crossfeed activated in the amp, Clean the sound considerably.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffreybar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't heard the 595's, but a couple thoughts on the 770-80s, which I used to own...they really have a pretty ridiculously V-shaped sound signature. Tons of bass, good treble, practically no mids. Also, you absolutely do need an amp to make them sound good. They'll work out of a moderately-powerful integrated sound card, but they'll sound pretty weak. Since you said you were going to get an amp, you should be fine, but don't let others talk you out of getting an amp to go with them if you decide to go for them. Personally, I kinda liked them as a nice-sounding, extremely comfy, isolating can, but the lack of a strong midrange presence, plus the fact that they really needed a strong (read: non-cheapo-portable) amp to sound good (I wanted to have them as a semi-portable phone for cold days...silly I know, but I thought they'd double as earmuffs
wink.gif
) bugged me enough so that I eventually decided to sell them.

I agree...
Quote:

Originally Posted by StealthR6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD595 don't require an amp either. But both the HD595 and DT770Pro80's sound a lot better w/ an amp. Whereas the A900 doesn't really sound any better w/ an amp.

Jan 24, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #28 of 30
I own both, and I think their strengths are quite obvious, for me at least: DT770 80s are alot of fun, and really shine with genres like rock, metal, rap, electronica. HD595s on the other hand excel in the more soundstagey stuff... HD595 is obviously more balanced, but it doesn't have the punch you need if you wanna rock
smily_headphones1.gif

Balanced, good for acoustic stuff: HD595
Rockin', fun and punchy: DT770

Jan 24, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #29 of 30
My semi-useless input on this...

I like the DT 770 because the cups are round and not oval. I find that the Senn touch the sides of my ears. No I don't have big ears. I just hate that feeling of the pad touching.

Also the DT 770 have more bass impact so make sure you want that or else go with the Senn.

thx

Jan 25, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #30 of 30
I haven't used the other headphones (in fact the HD595's are my first "high-end" headphone, so I don't really have much of anything of worth to compare them to), but I absolutely love my 595's.

The bass isn't heavy, so it's not going to blow you away by shaking your head off or anything, and it won't add bass to tracks where there isn't any there, but what bass is there sounds very clean, accurate, and smooth, and if the recording you're listening to does have a lot of bass, it'll let you know it. It's probably actually a more "accurate" representation of the bass in the recordings than other headphones with exaggerated bass (not to say exaggerated bass is a bad thing--it's all a matter of preference, and a headphone with more bass would probably be easier to get used to for someone who's used to listening to loudspeakers with a subwoofer. I'll admit it took a bit of listening for me to get used to the bass on these after being used to the loud, boomy (and muddy) bass on my PC speakers' subwoofer, but now I have a hard time listening to my speakers anymore because I've fallen in love with how much detail and clarity my 595's give me in the bass, that my subwoofer is simply incapable of re-creating. I feel like I'm missing huge parts of my music when I listen to my subwoofer).

They're also very comfortable, and just all-around great sounding phones, with an insane amount of clarity and detail. I listen to music (mostly rock (both electric and acoustic), some electric/industrial, metal (thrash and power metal, primarily), and some orchestraic), and I play games and watch DVDs with them. FYI, I'm using them with a HeadRoom Total BidHead amp plugged into my PC's USB. Putting the BitHead through the USB helps clean up the sound a bit (it really helps to get rid of the noise from inside the computer in the signal, which is noticeable in black spaces in the sound), but my X-Fi card also runs them well and sounds very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back