DT770 vs Grado 325i
Jan 26, 2007 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jaisin

New Head-Fier
I have both, but I always liked the Grado better until I started using the DT770. I went back to my 325i today, and I didn't realize how uncomfortable they are. I was in denial before. I still love them, but jeez. I didn't realize how much more comfortable the DT770 is.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 15
wow, and their sound signatures are the complete opposites!
biggrin.gif
I personally like the 325i with bowls for certain hard rock. But can't have them on for very long, because those bowls are also painful torture devices! Must be why metal fans like them!!!
biggrin.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 15
I listen to Hip-Hop/Rap. I feel that the Grado's do well for rap where you actually listen to the lyrics. It sounds so crystal clear. I like the DT770's for rap where you just want to dance to the massive bass.

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #4 of 15
i have both of these cans. i personally like my grado's better for music but for gaming the 770's are no question way better.

it would be another question of my 770's were darth beyers

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 15
i got the grado 325i with the HD414 yellow pads and damn son! comfortable?--damn son again! better than the factory black donuts of doom. and it somehow smoothed out the sometimes fatiguing highs a bit--damn son again and again!

Jan 26, 2007 at 11:29 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Hog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got the grado 325i with the HD414 yellow pads and damn son! comfortable?--damn son again! better than the factory black donuts of doom. and it somehow smoothed out the sometimes fatiguing highs a bit--damn son again and again!

I might havee to check those out.

Jan 27, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaisin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I listen to Hip-Hop/Rap. I feel that the Grado's do well for rap where you actually listen to the lyrics. It sounds so crystal clear. I like the DT770's for rap where you just want to dance to the massive bass.

Pretty much same here, but I'm using Alessandro MS2's with HD414 pads.

The only thing is... when was the last time they came out with any hiphop/rap song that was worth listening to in terms of lyrics?

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Remember to get the Beyer headband for your Grados too.

Where can I get a separate headband from? Also, can you get black pads for the DT770?

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing is... when was the last time they came out with any hiphop/rap song that was worth listening to in terms of lyrics?

This is so true... Now any "rap" that plays on the radio thats mainstream makes me want to /wrist

Jan 27, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Etrips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is so true... Now any "rap" that plays on the radio thats mainstream makes me want to /wrist

I listen to both types. I classify them into serious and not serious. I equate that type of rap with entertainment. Its just usually ridiculous and fun. It's kinda like a comedy movie.

Jan 27, 2007 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 15
I love my 325i. If I didn't have 414 pads I'd have gotten rid of them in short order though! I used a razor knife and traced around a US quarter to make even holes in them. I tried them mounted normally like that, and was very pleased. They were much more comfortable and had more bass and body. Definately good for bass heads or any kind of recording that needs a softer, bassier touch. Old blues comes to mind.

I settled with them reversed however, as they sound closer to stock with more detail and balance. Mounted backwards with the holes I cut stretched over the drivers (reminds me of work sometimes) they leave the whole driver face uncovered, but it doesn't rest on my ear at all. The bass is still boosted slightl over stock I think.

I really want to hear more about the DT770 though, especially the newest ones. The reviews and comments I've read about them have me really interested.

Jan 27, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkWolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my 325i. If I didn't have 414 pads I'd have gotten rid of them in short order though! I used a razor knife and traced around a US quarter to make even holes in them. I tried them mounted normally like that, and was very pleased. They were much more comfortable and had more bass and body. Definately good for bass heads or any kind of recording that needs a softer, bassier touch. Old blues comes to mind.

I settled with them reversed however, as they sound closer to stock with more detail and balance. Mounted backwards with the holes I cut stretched over the drivers (reminds me of work sometimes) they leave the whole driver face uncovered, but it doesn't rest on my ear at all. The bass is still boosted slightl over stock I think.

I really want to hear more about the DT770 though, especially the newest ones. The reviews and comments I've read about them have me really interested.

I'd say pick up the DT770. I had some extra cash. I tried them in Guitar Center. I hated them. I went back a second time, and I hated them. I went back a third time with a CD instead of an iPod. They took me into a private room thing and hooked them up to some PreSonus thing. I loved them. I bought them, and I can't imagine not having them. I love the bass.
basshead.gif

Jan 27, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaisin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can I get a separate headband from? Also, can you get black pads for the DT770?

Both of these can be direct ordered from beyerdynamic-usa to the best of my knowledge.
http://www.beyerdynamic-usa.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back